The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2010, 01:54 PM   #1
physikal

These forums....

Are the greatest. I keep reading the Lee vs Dillon thread and shaking my head in awe of your willingness to take the time and help people out.

I was in that same boat about a month or so ago asking the same question. You all helped me out. One person even took the time to write me a few lengthly emails helping me.

Not only that, but there are ATLEAST 10+ other threads about the same topic (red vs blue vs whatever). And you all have posted there as well.

I can't get past how helpful you guys are, time and time again. You aren't a bunch of a-hole's either, ruthlessly stating "use the search!" etc. etc. You are always kind, always helpful, all the time. THANK YOU! From a newb.

-Phys
Old April 13, 2010, 02:01 PM   #2
geetarman

Same here.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Sevens

Okay -- all well and good. But, you posted a pretty good reminder. A lot of folks just don't think to use the search engine. And when someone suggests that, before you think it's just being rude, consider what you get--

With the search engine, you get YEARS worth of experience, and from other helpful folks that don't even get around to TFL anymore these days, or don't happen to be around in the day or three when your thread happens to be active.

If that's not enough, you don't have to wait for any responses as different folks see the thread and add a reply. The search engine takes only seconds and if your search-fu is strong, will return dozens of results INSTANTLY, serving you even quicker than a new thread would.

For the good of the forum, using the search engine to find an answer to a common question also keeps other topics from being slid down to the bottom and off the front page. So it not only helps you, and quickly, but it helps the forum and other folks, too. If you had an important and specific question that someone could answer -- but hardly anyone knew the answer... they might not EVER get a chance to even see your question if we have 10 new threads about which new press a brand new reloader should buy. New threads of tired old subjects push everything else right down from the top of the page.

Quote:
Not only that, but there are ATLEAST 10+ other threads about the same topic (red vs blue vs whatever).
Which is fine... to a point... until a number of the most helpful folks get tired of seeing the same stuff all the time when it could (should!) be condensed in to one thread. And it would be, if more folks searched for the topic before starting the same topic again.

In other areas of the site, many of the best posters get tired hearing the same topic re-hashed, so often, so many times. That's how we lose a bunch of the old guys. No big deal... there will be someone new to argue .45 vs 9mm joining tomorrow, so they get replaced.

The search engine on TFL is an incredibly powerful and yet very much under-utilized tool.

So you think that this forum is really cool and filled with a number of helpful folks? I completely agree. But do you know why that is so? It's because those folks aren't completely sick of the same subject being rehashed over a dozen times in different threads. There's a bunch of folks in the H&R area that hardly venture to some of the more "popular" areas of the site because they get tired of the "HEY, I GOT $400, WHAT GUN SHOULD I BUY?" threads.
Old April 13, 2010, 07:21 PM   #4
sonick808

search engines are good, but forums are cyclical and there's NO way around it.

If everyone used the search engine all the time, there would be no need for forums anymore after every question had been asked.

I think searching is only part of the strategy in gleaning information from forums. Someone may have joined that very day that will give you the key piece of info you need.

Forum exhaustion and attrition occurs regardless of repetition rate.
Old April 13, 2010, 07:56 PM   #5
qcpunk

+1 Sonick808

Not to mention that sometimes more or corrected information is newly available since whenever the last thread ended.

Physikal, Thank you for the kind words. I too hold the same feelings towards the rest of the general population here at TFL. There is a plethora of information, gathered from years upon years upon years of combined experience. And the sense of community is strong; I especially like seeing the "mystery gun" threads and seeing everybody trying their hardest to figure it out. It may appear to be a solo effort, but often times a member might post a small detail they noticed which, in turn, leads another member to the right path or answer. It's simply awesome to be a part of it.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 13, 2010, 09:56 PM   #6
mrawesome22

I wish I had enough patience to type the same thing over, and over, and over...
Those guys who have thousands of posts are the ones who have that kind of patience.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Inspector3711

Patience, a need to show what they know, or kindness. I suppose it depends on the person. In any case, it sure is handy. Sometimes I think the newer folks want to hear the freshest info, other times they just don't think to search, or didn't know they could.

They are excited by the hobby which is a great thing for all of us. Perhaps we all need to think on that. I know people get tired of seeing rehashed crap, but all one has to do is skip that thread.

People go into little kid mode (Xmas morning). I do too when I get a new gun or some reloading equipment.

There are a few grumps on here, I recall one who got after me for about two weeks once over something that didn't matter (still think I was correct). Seemed to follow me from thread to thread there for a bit. Didn't matter if it was rifles, reloading, or pistols. Some of these areas he had never posted in before as far as I could tell. I just kept ignoring it and he got bored.

That's the exception to the rule though. Most are friendly, helpful, and polite. This is the best firearms forum I've found to date and I've tried a few.

I don't post as often as I used to but I'm always reading (daily).

Last edited by Inspector3711; April 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 11:40 PM   #8
qcpunk

MrAwesome:

Quote:
I wish I had enough patience to type the same thing over, and over, and over...
Those guys who have thousands of posts are the ones who have that kind of patience.

HAHA

Not callin ya out, just thought it was sort of funny
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 14, 2010, 07:26 AM   #9
ONEEYE7

+1. thanks!!
Old April 14, 2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just wait until you get the bill...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 14, 2010, 10:18 AM   #11
physikal

lol @ Mike
Old April 14, 2010, 10:26 AM   #12
mrawesome22

Quote:
Not callin ya out, just thought it was sort of funny
Ya, but those guys who respond to every "I'm new to hand loading. What do I need?" thread are the guys with 13,989 posts.

My train of thought on those is "Use the search function!" LOL Then I realize that I probably started out that way and refrain.
Old April 14, 2010, 11:09 AM   #13
richfr

I am in the early stages of thinking about reloading and have also received some fantastic reply's. I read this section when I can and am learning a lot from it.
I received the ABC's of reloading today so got more reading to do now
Will be buying some equipment soon and am sure I will need some more help/advice and hope one day I can return the favor/knowledge to others
Old April 14, 2010, 02:42 PM   #14
qcpunk

Quote:
Ya, but those guys who respond to every "I'm new to hand loading. What do I need?" thread are the guys with 13,989 posts.

My train of thought on those is "Use the search function!" LOL Then I realize that I probably started out that way and refrain.
I completely understand. I still use the search function about twice a week. And I could certainly understand where a completely new-to-reloading person would prefer to "hear" it from an active poster rather than "Oh I read it online". There might be a level of comfort in getting a reply to your question.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:13 PM   #15
Krieger9

Hey

Someone already did thank everybody, do a damned search.
Also you wouldn't need the help if you'd have bought every book ever printed and read them every time you took a dump.

Also if you're new you're just going to blow your face up.

I painted my load master green.

Really, this is the best forums I've been to. The people here rock with several beyond reasonable helpful folks.

+1

I do think that the recycling of topics tends to keep conversation flowing. I have several subject I get excited to see whenever they come around again. Just a chance to relive the goodness.