The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 30, 2000, 02:20 PM   #1
falconer

TheBluesMan and I went to the range this morning. We had to test out his Christmas gift, a Colt HBAR. We put about 50 rounds through the AR and about 75 through my SKS (which now finally feeds surplus hollowpoints reliably due to a little work I did on it).

On a side note. I thought I would mention that thebluesman recieved this fine rifle from his step-dad. Anyone else think that he should refer to him as Dad from now on? I know I would.
Old December 30, 2000, 03:53 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

How did the HBAR do on the range?
I dont know about Dad... Father might do fine - but Dad is a bit more personal... maybe if it was an FAL...
Old December 30, 2000, 04:38 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

You beat me to it, Tom. I was just coming in here to post something.

WOW! What a fun gun! It is definitely more accurate than I am. ('course that ain't sayin' much.)

The rifle had been fired before, (I may not have used it if it were) but had never been sighted in. Started out shooting about 4-5 inches low and about an inch to the right of POA. And this at only 25 yds! (indoor range)

I lowered the front sight and adjusted the windage knob and just about have it set where it should be. Gonna wait to fire it outdoors from a bench rest at 100yds before I finalize things.

Plus I'm still getting used to using peep-sights. They're weird, but I'm getting to like them. Fired a pattern about 1" horiz. and 2" vert. without a real bench rest.

Falconer's SKS fed the surplus ammo just fine thanks to the dremel work. I think we were shooting FMJ this morning. I don't know how the HP would do, though. We'll have to try that next time.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting an SKS to feed hollow points reliably?

The only recommendation I have for next time is a little less coffee for breakfast than we had today. Falconer must be a great shot to bullseye those varmint targets so well, even with his barrel shaking so much. Caffiene is not your friend.
Old December 31, 2000, 12:07 AM   #4
falconer

Dave, I was shooting hollowpoints this morning. I only shot a box of FMJ, the other two were HP's. Either the dremel work or the magazine adjustment fixed it.

Whats this about Caffiene not being my friend? I'm a college student for pete's sake!@! I live off of caffiene. And either way, that was one dead groundhog. Now, if I could just get the one in my backyard to show his face long enough for me to get outside with my rifle

Anyone have suggestions for setting up an outdoor range? Our family has 330+ acres of land in southern Ohio and Dave and I were discussing building one down there.
Old December 31, 2000, 08:06 AM   #5
Hal

Cool!

Whoa, a rifle at an indoor range? The only one I know of that allows that around here is Pro Gun. hehe, you weenies couldn't take the cold huh? (He says as he braces himself for the last trip of the year to Kelbley's OUTDOOR range)(And yes, HOT caffeine is going to be my dearest friend in about 2 hours )

falconer,
The NRA can give you all the details for setting up an outdoor range.
Old December 31, 2000, 11:20 AM   #6
falconer

Actually, We were at Pro Gun. It was recommended to me a few years ago by some of the guys from my kung fu school. I ended up making my first gun purchase there. Such a shame the ole Stoney doesn't work there anymore (I've known him since I was about five).
Old December 31, 2000, 12:51 PM   #7
Hal

Stoney?

Try Hunter's Lodge in Tallmadge. (the old Russo's)
Old December 31, 2000, 04:01 PM   #8
falconer

I know he's at the hunter's lodge now, I think it was James who told me. I just don't like that place very much. My dad used to take me there when I was a kid(thats how I know Stoney), but John let the place go before he ended up closing. Actually, I found out the other day that Russo was my friend's uncle. Small World eh?
Old January 1, 2001, 09:29 PM   #9
1S1K

Talk about a small world. My dad use to take me to Russo's as a kid. A few years ago I started working with Paul Russo.

If my stepdad gave me an HBAR I would call him what ever he wanted. I have been trying to talk my stepdad out of his 284 win for a few years now. No sing of it yet!