The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 5, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Packin Mama

Best match gun?

For getting into competition shoots, should I start with a Ruger MKIII .22 or an RIA 1911? I already know I love .45's (But my KAHR blew up today, pics on my blog
Input please?
Old March 5, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Jim Watson

What "competitions?"
If NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) or Metallic Silhouette, a good .22 would be the thing to start with.
If for IPSC/USPSA or IDPA, the RIA would be suitable.

Do you already own a Ruger and an RIA?
If not, there are other choices.

Nothing comes up on your blog link.
Old March 5, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Packin Mama

Thanks for letting me know about the blog link, I fixed it now.
I don't own either, however it is an issue of money. I plan on doing some postal matches with the NRA but most will be IDPA ect
Old March 5, 2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Smaug

Absolutely get the Mk. III

Especially if money is ever an issue.

I don't need to point out how much cheaper 22LR ammo is than 45. When you are low on funds, you can still shoot a 22.

The league near me has the first match of every month as "22-neutral" as a nod to those who can't spend a hunnerd bux on ammo all the time.

I have a Ruger Mk. II Target model. (6-7/8" barrel, adjustable sights) Unless you're going to be using a red dot or a scope, I suggest a longer barrel. No less than 5-1/2" for sure.

45 is fun and all, but not cheap, and not that relaxing, compared to 22. If I had to get rid of all my guns, my Mk. II would be the last to go.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old March 5, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Packin Mama

Thank you for that info. I do enjoy .45 shooting.
The ammo cost is not a problem for me (It actualy costs the same to shoot .45 as. 22) because I reload .45, already have all the reloading supplies too.
I did get a chance to shoot the MKIII a few weeks ago (See my blog) and I did enjoy it except that it was jamming every 3rd round but I think that was a problem the owner had caused. The problem around here is that there is a match every weekend, and it's all 9mm or bigger, no .22 aloud. But I like the .22!
Old March 5, 2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I saw your busted Kahr.
I fear it was a stuck bullet. (I refuse to call them "squibs." When I was coming up a squib was a very very light load for indoor practice.)

The RIA gets good reviews, you won't be out of place in IDPA with one of them. A .22 isn't very tactical but it is great for fun and practice. Jeff Cooper said "You can learn about 80% of what you need to know with a .22."
Old March 5, 2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Smaug

Yeah, it looked like a squib to me too, Jim.

It happened to me and my P90 once. I think I made a round and somehow forgot to charge it. The primer got it out of the case and into the barrel. I shot the next round into it, and it bulged the barrel. Didn't split it or blow the frame or slide, but that was a beefy gun.

I reload too. I ran the numbers, and it is not as cheap as 22 by a mile. The only way it could be is if you have a free source of lead and you cast your own bullets.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old March 5, 2011, 11:14 PM   #8
a7mmnut

Doesn't IDPA require a minimum of 9mm for semi's and .38 for revolvers?

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

-7-
Old March 6, 2011, 06:37 PM   #9
lmccrock

Quote:
Doesn't IDPA require a minimum of 9mm for semi's and .38 for revolvers?
At least. CDP is 45 acp. Also applies to USPSA/IPSC.
Old March 7, 2011, 11:25 AM   #10
9mm1033

My input is this, have you watched an IDPA match? I only ask that because it has specific rules; and some of those rules shooters do not agree with. I'd hate to see you purchase a .45, a 'per the rules' specific holster, two mag pouches, a sturdy belt, then discover this sport sucks. Just a thought.
Old March 7, 2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Packin Mama

Thank you all for your replies!
And yes my husband has a LOT of lead already (tire weights) from long ago when he used to reload, and we cast both our .45 and 9mm bullets.
I'll get to try out a 1911 on Friday! And a couple weeks ago I got to try the MKIII so I'll be able to compare what one feels best for target shooting (Even if I don't end up liking the competition)
Thanks
Old March 17, 2011, 09:10 PM   #12
jpsshack

the Mark II is a beautiful gun, if you can find one. I compete in Bullseye with mine, using iron sights, and I can hold my own against the fancy Marvels and tricked-out target guns in the league. I'm sure the Mark III is very nice, too.
I cast, too, and am considering my first 1911 for Bullseye. Are you thinking about an RIA? I was told to check out a Springfield mil-spec as a great platform for accurizing.

Last edited by jpsshack; March 17, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old March 17, 2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Packin Mama

Yea I would like to get a MKII or III. I just got the RIA 1911A1 two-tone tactical this last weekend! Shoots like a dream! I shot my first IPSC match on Sunday with it, my first 3 shots in a 3 inch square! I highly recommend it, but thats just the first 100 rounds, but this weekend I'll be putting another 3-4 hundred through it. There are pictures of it and my new Beretta 9mm on my blog.