The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2006, 03:42 PM   #1
judgemint

reticle focusing

I have a leupold vx 3 on me gun. It is my first hunting rifle. I am having a hell of a time focusing the reticle. I hold it up to the sky I don't really see any differance unless I dial it counter clockwise ALOT. I look at light colored areas, My problem is it seems like it is always the same. Do I have an eye problem?? I have good vision and don't wear glasses. I have the eyepiece locked all the way clockwise and I "belive" that this may be where I need it but I'm not so sure. Anyone else go through this???
Old August 13, 2006, 08:56 PM   #2
hoghunting

You must be looking through the scope as you are focusing it. Don't! Your eyes are adjusting to the reticle even when it goes out of focus. Hold the scope and look at the reticle. It should be nice and clear. Take a quick glance and see if it is in focus. If it is not, turn the focus ring 1 turn, then look through the scope.
Old August 14, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Fremmer

Good suggestion, hog. I'm going through the same with my new Leupold. There is a lotta adjustment available!