The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2006, 11:01 PM   #126
Anthony2

rah600-Are you actually serious or playing Devils Advocate?

First of all I have to address a statement made by you:

"some of you poeple (and take tis as an insult or whatever you want) live in a dream world. you think that the second you walk out the door of your house a red light goes off in the bad guy's hide out that you are on the move and they all want to converge on you."

No, I do not live in a dream world...I live in reality...bad things happen to good people UNEXPECTEDLY!!!

IMHO, it is sheeplike (see T.N. quote in sig.) to beleive that just because the percentage is low, you won't become a victim. Also, it is IMO, irresponsible to not try to the absolute NO Exceptions! best of your ability to protect yourself, and others...should the need arise.

In life percentages mean NOTHING!!! At birth I was given a 10% or less chance of living,,,yet I'm alive...beginning to see my point?

I intend to use every God given advantage to protect myself, my family and those who would choose not to, or are unable to protect themselves..(from the sounds of things this could include you and yours someday)...

If this means carrying for the rest of my life and never having to even consider unholstering (I hope, I hope, I hope) than so be it.

After all it is better to have had and not needed, than needed and not had.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 20, 2006, 11:05 PM   #127
JayCee

Although I have a license, I personally find carrying a handgun to be a royal pain in the behind. It's uncomfortable, tough to keep concealed at all times, and, like most of the population, I don't feel sufficiently threatened during my normal pursuits to go to the trouble of being armed at all times. I try to assess the potential for threats before I leave home. Generally, I carry if I'm going to be out late at night or going on an out of town trip by car. If I'm going to the grocery store during daylight hours or to our local movie theater, I seldom carry, because my experience in going to these places over the years tells me that the chance of a violent encounter is pretty slim. That's not to say it couldn't happen, but the odds are against it. I could also be struck by lightning, but I don't go around wearing a lightning rod. This isn't meant to be a criticism of anyone who does go armed at all times...I believe legally allowing people to carry has drastically reduced the crime rate. But I guess I'm willing to take my chances and go about my business unarmed for the most part.

Regards,
JayCee
Old March 20, 2006, 11:09 PM   #128
Anthony2

JayCee-Well said...I too probably would not carry in some situations...i.e. family gatherings...well I guess that's the only situation I can think of...
"Trust your family...all others are suspect..."

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 20, 2006, 11:29 PM   #129
IndianaDean

If you can truly trust all members of your family, you're actually very lucky. I have some cousins I would never want to even know I have weapons, or where I live for that matter.
Old March 22, 2006, 05:50 AM   #130
WESHOOT2

common sense vs accusatory tone/(false) superiority

Reread your original post, like someone else wrote it.
Kinda snobby, ay?

Common sense prevails?

I've been wearing guns since '76, but I've never been accused of having common sense.
Never.
Old March 22, 2006, 10:21 AM   #131
Mal H
Staff

This thread has pretty much outlived it's usefulness. Question asked and answered (and answered ... and answered ... and answered ... and answered ... and answered ........).
Closed Thread