The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 19, 2005, 08:25 PM   #126
joecad

I own 2

I own a hi-point 9mm comp & the 995 carbine.......both are solid performers. i have a couple of thousand rounds thru both...no problems. should you get ftf's , take the mag apart and break the sharp edges on the follower with fine sandpaper or use a rotry tool and polish them. i would recomend hi-point to friends actually i have....there customer service is some of the best i have seen....very pleasant experience.
good luck and enjoy.
Old April 19, 2005, 09:10 PM   #127
iplaypearldrums

hi point

having bought used sigs ,9mm+40,and almost bought a 45sig for 500,but didnt, and now not wanting to spend any more $$, i would've bought a 45 hi point like new for $125, just to try it out,
Old April 19, 2005, 09:22 PM   #128
iplaypearldrums

hi point

Although we don't trust our lives to musical instruments,like we may w/guns, the shooting's in your hands.Ed van H still sounds the same w/ his homemade 70's POS he built for VH1 as he does now w/ a $2000 paul reed smith ,its still him. Practice makes bullseyes.
Old April 19, 2005, 09:51 PM   #129
Dropped Hammer

Just thought I'd add to this...I own an AK 47 that has had over 15000 rounds through is...It usually jams about once every 3000 rounds or so...My Springfield Armory mil spec 1911 had 1000 rounds through it and it would stovepipe quite often....Sold it...My SKS over 4000 rounds through it...Jams once or twice after 1000 rounds and then it's time to clean it...These three guns are known for die hard reliability and I have had jams with all of them...However My Hi Point 995 carbine on the other hand has had about 5000 rounds through it and guess what ...if it has ever jammed it was'nt while in my hands...and I don't really remmeber it jamming up at all...always throws the brass pretty good actually...I'm quite happy with my 130 dollar purchase
Old April 20, 2005, 10:07 AM   #130
pt92

As soon as they rid the need for PTA here im MO., I will be getting one for a fun gun as well as a car carry weapon. I have a PT-92 and P-95DC but you will not hear me disrespect the uses of the Hi-Point.

-Cheers
Old April 20, 2005, 01:59 PM   #131
Bullrock

OK! I went to the Hi Point web site and, haven't changed my mind about it being the ugliest handgun I've ever laid eyes on.

The new ones look like a space gun from a 1950's movie. That was before we knew what a space gun was supposed to look like. MOF, everything from the 50's was ugly, except my '57 Chevy, and my girl friend.
Old April 26, 2005, 03:48 AM   #132
marz

highpoint

ok you get what you pay for.
If i got a highpoint and it broke i would not get it repaired buy someting that is well know good quality. If budget is a concern I would get something that is certified and used.

A friend was telling my you can get a highpoint for free in FL just for opening a bank account. I wouldn't trust my life with something that probaly cost $30-$40 to make. I am not just talking about carrying but firing. I am not saying they are junk but you get what you pay for in life.
Old May 1, 2005, 03:28 PM   #133
hummelsander

Marz, thanks for you opinion...but you have little experience with Hi-Point. Your opininion is popular and is acceptable in most circles. But we all have to start somewhere and the guns are not junk. You may have to adjust them in the beginning, but they are not junk. When you pull the trigger they go bang. Mine does not jam (anymore ) after I adjusted it.

One thing is that they are heavy and not many quality holsters are made for them, but only one size fits all type.

I really think the Hi Points are better designed now than 2 or 3 years ago.

I said the guns are not junk, but if I could have afforded anything else at the time I definitely would have bought it because there is nothing like picking up something more refined. I've shot Rugers, Springfields, Glocks and others like Taurus and Smith and Wesson (no 1911's yet). All feel much better than the Hi Point and promise longer life before needing repairs. They are all easier to field-strip and put back together. Jams are easier to clear in the other guns.

Hi-Point does have GREAT customer service and great turnaround if the gun need to be repaired. Try that with a Taurus.

Anyway, I do carry mine only because I got all the bugs worked out of it. It fires everytime I pull the trigger and eats anything I put through it (now that all the bugs are worked out of it). If you have something else more refined, by no means do I recommend purchasing a Hi Point. But if you're on a tight budget, they do shoot, have great customer service and a no questions asked lifetime warrantee. For a budget gun, they offer a lot.
Old May 2, 2005, 03:34 PM   #134
stantonizm

Quote: "Hi-Point does have GREAT customer service and great turnaround if the gun need to be repaired. Try that with a Taurus."
I have a Taurus mil-pro .40, I got slightly used at a gun show. The first time I fired it, the slide cap broke. I was pretty aggrevated, being that I just bought it, and wasn't sure I could get it fixed since I didn't have any papers with it. I called Taurus and told them my problem. The woman asked my name and address...nine days later it was in my mailbox. I was pretty happy with that, and somewhat amazed they would send parts for free without any proof I even owned the gun. Never had any problems since then.

As for the High Point discussion.... Yes, I think they're ugly. No, I don't want one.....But Yes, if thats all that I could afford, and wanted something for protection I would not hesitate to buy one and be damn thankful I could get a working gun for that cheap. The people I know who own Hi Points are not big time shooting enthusiasts with a lot of money to spend; they're people with a low budget that need some form of protection. I just hate seeing people who can afford nice pistols (and probably a nice safe place to live) belittle people (who probably can't) for buying Hi Points. These people are probably ten times more likely to encounter a situation where they really need a gun to defend themselves (besides police).
I don't know about getting one for plinking as I have never shot one, but just cause they're cheap doesn't mean they can't be fun. My first pistol was a Cobra (Davis) .380 POS that jammed a lot and wasn't accurate, but I loved to shoot it anyway. I realized that if I had that much fun with a 90$ gun then I'd probably have more with a better one. Its been about a year since I got the 90$ gun, and I'm hooked in the sport. I've already got a decent gun collection and I'm getting an Hk USPc 40 on Tuesday. The Cobra was a cheap, unreliable gun,that people always told me was ****, but it was better defense than a bat and fun enough to get me hooked.
Old May 2, 2005, 04:14 PM   #135
3o3brit

I bought one of the carbines about 2 years ago used from a pawn shop.
It was missing the sights and some clips for the stock. I called to check on how much the sights would cost and they said the gun is warranted for life even if you are not the original purchaser. They sent out the sights, sling swivels and stock clips free of charge and sent a new firing pin and spring also as the design had changed since mine was made.
I have fired the cheapest ammo I could find through it with no problems at all.
It will shoot a 2 -3 inch group offhand at 50 yards.
Whenever I take it out is one of the guns that everyone wants a turn shooting.

If the hand guns are as good as the carbine, then they are well worth the money.
Old May 2, 2005, 08:44 PM   #136
guy sajer

We sell several hundred each year with the Compact 9 being the most popular . Very few come back with problems . Most problems we encounter are solved with a new magazine or different ammo . I don't know the specs , but Winchester white box 9 seems almost underpowered . We switch them to Geco or other and no problems .

When we do have the need to return one for service , turn around time is consistantly 7-10 days . They always toss in a free mag for our trouble .

We take in used guns as well . A couple years ago , a guy brings us a C-9 pistol for trade . Nothing unusual so far . However , this pistol had 1/4 inch holes drilled one after another completely around the front strap , back strap , dust cover , etc . All the way . Honestly , I wanted to ask why , but I couldn't for some odd reason . Maybe I was afraid it would make sense Anyway , we made the deal . We then sent it to Hi Point ... They didn't ask either . The replaced the frame at no charge ... And tossed in a free magazine .

No complaints here . They are good people !

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old May 12, 2005, 12:37 AM   #137
OldeSkool

I did not read all of the thread. I dont know if anyone does that anyway. I'm not sure if anyone will read this... BUT for what its worth, I enjoy my Hi-Point .45

To me, anything that can fire 8 .45's as fast as i can pull the trigger for under 200 bucks is a good deal... I mean, hey, thats fun right?

Plus, it works just fine and never been cleaned

Its fairly accurate too!

AND... for a plastic gun, recoil ain't bad at all (prolly cuz the big heavy slide)

Would I use it for cary? No... I don't cary
Would it be the first gun to trust my life to? No... but it's better than a big stick
Old May 12, 2005, 04:40 AM   #138
41special

Ok, Being originally from near Dayton, Ohio, I give you a little HI-point Humor :

What's the quickest and easiest way to disassemble a Hi-point........?

Shoot +P Ammo in it.

HAHA

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:42 AM   #139
mfree

Hrmm... makes one draw parallels between today's Hi-point and Hyundai as they were leaving the early 90's... lackluster product mixed with a company that gives *stellar* service and sincerely wishes to improve.

Look where that got them
Old May 14, 2005, 04:05 PM   #140
hummelsander

Quote:
Ok, Being originally from near Dayton, Ohio, I give you a little HI-point Humor :

What's the quickest and easiest way to disassemble a Hi-point........?

Shoot +P Ammo in it.

:
Sorry, they are +P rated...so I wouldn't expect them to fall apart on that note.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:28 PM   #141
glock19er

plus p ammo thru a high point

your right hummelsander.they do handle plus p ammo but how much can the pot metal handgun handle before it launches a slide off the frame or explodes in a persons face.for what they sell for somebody could buy a good used model 10 smith or makarov for a couple more dollars and and have something made out of steel than a pot metal brick handgun called a high point.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:59 PM   #142
defjon

actually, I thought they switched from the zinc alloy pot metal to a more durable polymer on the new ones?

my personal take is this: I handled one of the old zinc alloy ones at a gunshow in Peoria, it was the .380. Yeah...looked like it was spray painted by hand, just horrible. I wouldn't trust shooting a modern cartridge through it at all! I picked it up, frowned, looked to my girlfriend and just set it back down and walked away...for a similar price, a rossi stainless looked and felt a LOT better. So did a charter arms snubbie. Hey, cheap and six for sure...better bet in that case.

however, I do hear good things about their carbine and handguns since their adoption of the polymer...haven't handled one of those yet. I'd pick up the comp-9 just because its cheap and gets great reviews. I would then have fun giving it a torture test and posting the results. I may do that next month, need a summer project
Old May 14, 2005, 05:02 PM   #143
CastleBravo

Wow, the topic that just won't die, about a gun that nobody in their right mind wants to own.

Seriously? I don't doubt that they generally "work," if you define that as, "gun go bang." Aside from the ergonomics, sights, trigger pull, accuracy, and prospects for long-term durability, they are fine. Which of course higlights the difference between "cheap" and "good value."
Old May 14, 2005, 05:10 PM   #144
wayneinFL

Amazing a lot of people have had good luck with Hi-Point pistols? I always heard good things about the carbines. But never the pistols until I saw this thread. The only pistol I saw in action was a guy I r.o.'ed at our local range. It was dangerous and useless. In less than 100 rounds it failed to feed more times than I could count, and fired twice while a mag was inserted. I was watching him closely and his finger was way out of the trigger guard- it was the gun. He finally stopped himself and, unfortunately, I haven't seen him since. The guy was a pretty good shooter- hopefully he's shooting at another range, and was just too embarassed to come back.

Of course that's my limited experience with one.

I think you guys may have changed my mind.

If they've worked out the bugs, maybe I'll try one out. People used to beat up Kel-tec and I never had a bit of trouble with mine. I've been looking for something cheap for plinking with 9mm when I don't feel like loading ammo....

To the original poster on this thread- good luck with yours!
Old May 14, 2005, 05:55 PM   #145
BigDaddy_BMW

They are what the are...

I have 2 Hi-Points (.380 and 9mm Compact) and haven't had problems with either. They cost me $99 and $128 respectively and are nothing to look at. In fact they look like a crude Russian surplus gun stamped out in a hurry. As for function, they punch the primer hard every time like any other gun, but require very little cleaning or stripping.
They have a tight slide/trigger operation, but the internal tolerances are open enough to allow for reliable operation with just bore cleaning and slide lubrication after each shooting session (although I would recommend breaking it down for a good cleaning after 2,000 rounds). They remind me of the AK-47/SKS stereotype; they may look junky but they always shoot.
As for accuracy, they are top notch. Although cheep, they have ADJUSTABLE sights (they are plastic...what did you expect, titanium? ) that will allow you to sight them in (to your shooting style/preferences) to hold a 3" group at 50 feet. Sadly, if money were on the line, I would take my 9mm Hi-Point over my .40 S&W Glock without a second thought .
The only jams that I have experienced were RARE Fail To Feeds (I haven't tried to sand/polish the magazine follower yet). They haven't given me 1/2 the headaches that some my other (more expensive) guns have. I have Ruger and Glock autos that can give me fits at times.
I love my Hi-Points because they are great SHOOTING guns for a low cost. I would highly recommend Hi-Point to anybody who thinks they might have an interest in shooting (or shooting an Auto), but is hesitant to shell out $400 plus to find out. I would also recommend them to anyone who can’t afford to shell out that kind of money for personal/family protection.
Old May 14, 2005, 06:03 PM   #146
BigDaddy_BMW

Also...

If you are worried about what would happen if you pulled a High-Point and jammed in a close combat situation, don't sweat it...
Its heavy weight and thick construction make it an ideal weapon to either pelt an assailant with from a distance, or use to bludgeon them to death in hand-to-hand combat. I know that I wouldn't want to get cracked across the head with mine .
Old May 14, 2005, 07:48 PM   #147
larry starling

Man! give it a brake Highpoints are junk! I would and never will trust my life or anyones life to a cheap P.O.S! Highpoint isnt the only cheap manufactuer out there, there are others! The only way a highpoint would stop a thief is one of two ways! They die from laughing! or you knock them over the head with it! Buy a large claw hammer from wal-mart! its cheaper and more reliable!!
Old May 15, 2005, 09:47 PM   #148
defjon

Uh, besides being "cheap" as you stated, that is about all you've got to say...yes, they are inexpensive, we've covered that.

Do you own or have you ever shot one? Thought not.

Besides, I know of no claw hammer that can give you a three inch group out to fifty yards.

I think your signature says it all. Sorry Larry, but we can't all afford to buy exclusively colts, and there are other manufacturers that produce BETTER quality at a BETTER rate. You don't always get what you pay for, and from personal accounts, it seems that with Hi Point you get BETTER.

Jon-
Old May 16, 2005, 02:12 AM   #149
41special

Quote:
Sorry, they are +P rated...so I wouldn't expect them to fall apart on that note.
Boy some you guys have a dry sense of humor.

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.
Old May 16, 2005, 07:08 PM   #150
hummelsander

Hey, 41, just curious, how often do people target pactice with +P ammo any way? I think any gun would fall apart if that's all they used to shoot with plus it's too expensive to waiste good defense ammo on paper targets. So, given that, if a guy shoots at the range and then loads with +P for defense, then he should be able to trust his gun won't fall apart even if he actually had to use the ammo in a defense situation. What's one or two rounds gonna do?
Closed Thread