The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2013, 07:07 AM   #1
smokey63

44 mag. reloads

can anyone tell me if these reloads I have for the lever gun will be safe for my super blackhawk. 240 gr jhp, 24grn imr 4427, 1.603-1.607 col . win. brass.not sure about the primer.thanks, smokey 63
Old August 2, 2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

I don't offer advice on loads on forum because too many people asking for that info won't think for themselves and can do unsafe things.
Buy a reloading manual and read it. Or check the websites of reloading and ammo companies and find out for yourself. That is the most helpful advice possible.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Get a loading manual or two. Any advice you get off the internet may be true or may not be true. Without a reference manual or two, you have no way of telling. Some people load to very unsafe levels and tell everyone else that the load is OK. Do you want to rely on that for your own safety and guns? I don't.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
buck460XVR

That's a max load in Hodgdon and just over max in Speer. I didn't bother to look in my other manuals. While it SHOULD be safe in the Ruger, No one, recommends using a max load as a starting point in any firearm. If you reloaded those shells yourself you should know that. If you didn't reload them, you are a very trusting of the person that did.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
madmo44mag

Quote:
That's a max load in Hodgdon and just over max in Speer. I didn't bother to look in my other manuals. While it SHOULD be safe in the Ruger, No one, recommends using a max load as a starting point in any firearm. If you reloaded those shells yourself you should know that. If you didn't reload them, you are a very trusting of the person that did.
+1

I have shot that load in my Ruger RH and can't say it was fun but my biggest issue is - if you did not load them how do you know what was really loaded?
Old August 2, 2013, 08:44 AM   #6
smokey63

44 MAG

Thans for all the advice. Ive looked at this load on the imr load data and found it there.But as you have mentioned ,I did not load this myself,got it from a friend.Think ill take them apart and reoad them to min. starting point.Thank you all,needed the push in the right direction. Smokey63
Old August 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Real Gun

On the inference that you have shot some of them in your "lever gun", they should be fine, although they will "make your day" at that 24 g level.
Old August 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #8
totaldla

You've been shooting them in your levergun - right? Then what is the problem with shooting them in the Ruger? Might as well get some fun out of them and learn to shoot full-up magnum loads. You can always load the next batch down to 44Min.
Old August 2, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by totaldla:

You've been shooting them in your levergun - right? Then what is the problem with shooting them in the Ruger? Might as well get some fun out of them and learn to shoot full-up magnum loads. You can always load the next batch down to 44Min.

Because all re-loaders know what is safe in one firearm is not always safe in another, especially when it comes to max or over max loads. Personally, I don't think one can get enough IMR4227 under a 240 gr pill in a .44 case to hurt any modern .44 magnum firearm. The load I use @ 23.2 is already compressed, don't know how the OP is gettin' 24 in there. My experience is that levers have a generous chamber. Ruger revolvers not so much. Will that make that much difference? Dunno, but again, a max or over max recipe loaded by someone else is not the load I want to shoot outta any of my firearms without workin' up to it. With your guns, your decision to make.
Old August 3, 2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Bezoar

well smokey, if you used any reloading manual for that recipe that your lever gun has survived, that was published in the last 10 years your good to go.

Seriously, that super blackhawk can take abuse your lever gun can only dream of.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:53 AM   #11
sc928porsche

For some reason, Ruger likes overkill. Their firearms are built strong. If the load fires safely in a lever action, they should be no problem in the SBH. A Tarus or Charter arms would be another story.