The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Sold my Herters .270... in the market for a modern replacent...

sold my collector gun at the gun show this weekend... I had hoped to trade for another .270, but there were only 2 in the whole place, & I ended up walking out with cash, rather than a replacement...

... I'd like to find a good used Remington 700, but I stopped by Cabelas on Sunday, to see what was available new... I really don't want to spend much over $600.00 & they had several I might consider... I haven't really looked at the new Weatherby Vanguard bi color composite stock...

Ideally I'm looking for an older nice wood & blued gun, or go the other way, & get stainless composite... I'm not as much of a fan of guns that are 1/2 way there, with composite stock & blued metal... though I do like the laminated wood & stainless guns...

suggestions ???
Old January 14, 2013, 01:35 PM   #2
jmr40

I'm afraid you going to have to up your budget a little. I'd spend $750 on a new production Winchester Featherweight and be done with it if I wanted wood/blue.

Ruger is another option for a little less, they come with scope mounts which helps with the overall value. Their SS/synthetic is exactly the same price as wood/blue and the best value on a stainless/synthetic rifle.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a tendancy to rebarrel alot of the guns I have, that I bought used, to get fresh chambers & rifling ( if they look like they've been shot alot ) if it's a blued / wood rifle I like to go with heavier barrels, as I'm a big guy, & the weight is not as much of an issue, & I shoot mostly paper, & like to dial in for accuracy... the feather weights seem to shoot 1-2 ok, but usually start stringing for 3 or 4 & more shots... I have a couple light weights, just gravitate to the medium / heavy weight barrels

2 years ago, I paid $500.00 for a new unfired Remington 700 100th aniversary of the 30-06 cartridge limited edition rifle... just last month I paid $600.00 for an unfired 80's Remington 700 in 35 Whelen... I guess I figure with all the AR / magazine hype, maybe I can find a bolt gun for reasonable ???
Old January 14, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
fatwhiteboy

I bought a M70 in .270 Win from Walmart a few years ago. It has become my favorite rifle.