The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Yacobid

Slightly new spin on the 1st handgun question

So I have taken my CCW class and waiting for the application to be processed. In the meantime I have done a TON of research and seen alot of people ask what they should get for their first handgun. I have yet to see someone ask the question yet in this way.

I am looking for suggestions on my first handgun purchase whose main use will be primarily for having fun on the range and HD. In time when I become more comfortable I would like the option to carry. My Job does not allow my to carry so it would be mostly on the weekends and at night.

So my delemia what gun to get now.

Do I go for a full size - less recoil, easier to handle, longer site radius, more accurate(?) harder to CCW.

Walther PPQ - (for HD manual says cant shoot +p rounds ?)
M&P 9 - (would get apex kit)
Ruger SR9 (reliability - trigger reset, peening, mag release)
Glock 17 - (the old standb)

OR do I go the compact route - not hard to handle, possible CCW, same grip size with x-grip

M&P 9c
Ruger SR9c
Glock 19

or Get one of the above and get a single stack down the road for CCW
I do have a smaller frame and tend to wear tighter cloths. I have never tried to CCW before so im not sure what I can get away with

As you can tell I am looking at 9mm only, I like the idea of a safety but it is not a deal breaker either way. I am open to any suggestions but would like to stay in the price range of whats listed above.

Also I have found a range that has all of the above available to rent and I do plan on shooting all of them to see what I like. Im more stuck now on how to decide between FS, Compact, or Sub Compact/single stack options
Old October 5, 2012, 05:35 PM   #2
dragnut

first gun

Since you can tryout all of them simply get the one you think feels best in your hand.
I have a PPQ and my wife has a G19 and we love them both. Get what is fun for HD and the range because if you don't use it what's the point?
When you decide to carry get what seems good at the time and buy outright or trade the first gun.
For carry over the past year I started with a SW bodyguard 38 spl. then because of the laser button traded for an SW with a grip laser, then traded that for an LCR 357 with a CT grip to get a better trigger. Now I am gravitating toward a 1911 which I did not even like last year.

Your taste will change as you gain experience so consider that in your plans. There is no one gun for all purposes.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
wbw

I would suggest the SR9c. It's a fine range gun with the larger mag and easily concealed with the smaller one. It's got a manual safety which does not have to be used. (I use mine). For me it was the perfect combination of weight and size and capacity. YMMV. There is even a floorplate for the smaller mag that is flat (without the lip for the pinky) Most carry guns are a compromise to some degree.

You'll get loads of suggestions. Good luck with your search.

Old October 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
hey.moe

I agree with dragnut, but would go a bit further and recommend you make your decision based on actually shooting several candidate guns. The one you shoot best may not be the one that feels good when you handle it in the store.

I'd further recommend that you make sure you understand how to properly stand and grip the gun so you can make a valid comparison.

Finally, take into consideration the placement of the controls and how easily you're able to perform the manipulations required to load, operate, and clear the gun.

Realize that no matter how thoroughly and methodically you do your research and make your selection it's almost certain that you'll eventually find something you like better. But, your first gun will have paid for itself and done its job by serving as a vehicle for learning.

-Stan-
Old October 5, 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
dayman

I'd get something in between full size and and a true compact, so - based on my own experience and the guns you listed - either the G19 or the PPQ (almost identical size).
My own choice was the PPQ, but there are lots of good options out there.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
YARDDOG(1)

M&P 9c is a fine handgun IMO ; )
Y/D
Old October 5, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Yacobid

PPQ owners. What self defense ammo do you use? I am pretty sure the manual said no +p ammo
Old October 6, 2012, 12:07 AM   #8
RBid

I have a PPQ. I rarely carry it, because it is juuuuust a little too bulky for me to CC full time. When I do carry it, I feed it Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr (standard pressure) or 147gr.

My every day carry is a Ruger SR9c. I generally recommend carrying cut-down duty pistols, rather than subs that sacrifice duty capability for size. The SR9c, S&W M&P9c, SA XDm 3.8" 9mm compact, and Glock 26 are all great choices. They are based on guns designed to take care of business, and they shoot like full size pistols.

Tags
first handgun , m&p 9 , m&p 9c , ppq , sr9