The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1
TenRing

Best way to dye holster from tan to black?

I plan to buy a 4" Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum revolver. Also, I plan to buy this Galco outdoorsman holster for it. http://store.packinheatleather.com/bgadaoduacou.html

The thing is I want a black holster to match my belt but it is only offered in tan. What is the best way to dye the holster black? I want to do it right so the color stays in and the dye doesn't rub off on my clothes. Thanks for input.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2
IRock

Most holsters are sealed after stain is applied. I would look for a black holster.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
egor20

Agree with IRock, its not worth the time to re-dye it, I tried with a scabbard once, it was a disaster

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 21, 2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Pahoo

Quote:
Most holsters are sealed after stain is applied. I would look for a black holster.
This is true and for lack of a better word, it's a type of laquor. Simular to, if not a product like what Tandy sells, called Neat-Lac. If you are lucky, you can remove this with a product called Wil-Bond or simular solvent, by wiping it off. Might want to practice on the back side. Once there, use a spirit dye, also sold by Tandy. Has to be a spirit dye in order to get the penetration required. Also may have to apply multiple coats. All the time, working in a well ventilated shace. Or, buy a black holster. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 21, 2010, 08:42 PM   #5
TenRing

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I'm looking for a black holster. The last thing I want to do is buy a $75 holster and spend $300 worth of my time into changing it.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Edward429451

I had a brown M1A sling that I colored with (3) black magic markers and it is as black as black gets and has never bled. The poorman/lazyman way of doing it effectively. Black ink is black stain.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:26 PM   #7
egor20

TenRing

Not sure if you like Basket Weave, but this might work

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/196.html
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/196_bl_bw_rev.jpg

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 21, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8
TenRing

Egor20, thanks for the links! This seems to be just what I need and it comes in plain black. The price can't be beat. Thanks again!!
Old November 23, 2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Straightshooter629

I'll put my 2 cents in. I have a brown Don Hume holster that I dyed black using KIWI leather dye. I cleaned the holster well using denatured alcohol with a scotch brite pad. It only took about 3 coats to get a real good black finish. After it dried overnight, I gave it a good coat of black paste shoe polish. I haven't had any problem with dye rubbing off.
Old November 23, 2010, 11:51 PM   #10
TenRing

I've heard of people doing it that way but I have never tried it myself. Thanks for the tip. It is bound to come in handy since I have a number of tan holsters that I want to turn black. I tend to wear black belts and the grips on my guns are black. I also like the fact that black holsters don't stand out as much if they accidently get exposed.