The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2010, 01:56 AM   #1
DocHoliday

2/10's a grain diffrence?

Just started reloading .223 for my AR. This was my first experience with extruded powder. I noticed a bit of variation that I have never seen loading my pistol cartridges. Most loads were between +1 to +2 tenths of a grain. Is this normal or do I need to change what I am doing.
Old June 2, 2010, 03:09 AM   #2
steveno

with the type of powder you are using I would consider that normal. extruded powders don't meter quite as well as ball powders.
Old June 2, 2010, 02:24 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Do you throw your powder measure handle slowly, or quickly? With my powder measure - A quick, positive motion is more important with extruded powders than ball, flake, or hybrids.

Or... Were these loads done on a progressive press?
Old June 2, 2010, 02:41 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

If most of your loads are heavy, it sounds like you need to adjust your measure to throw a slightly-lighter charge. Maybe you could get the charges to be between -1/20 gr and +1/20 gr instead of between +1/10 gr and +2/10 gr. (Same total amount of deviation, just centered around your desired charge instead of consistently above it.)

Also, I don't know what your desired charge is, but for the loads I use, even a 0.2 gr deviation is less than a percent off, so I probably wouldn't worry about it unless I were pushing the upper end of the load envelope.
Old June 2, 2010, 06:07 PM   #5
DocHoliday

Using IMR 4198. Load Min Max for my round is 20-22grains I am loading a 21grain charge. This is no where a hot load nor is it a compressed load which i see in .223. The case volume is around 87% for this load. I have not had a chance to shoot these but accuracy is not my top priority. I have heard the hornady powder throw is better for extruded powder is this a sound argument?
Old June 2, 2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Slamfire

Quote:
Most loads were between +1 to +2 tenths of a grain. Is this normal or do I need to change what I am doing

I have tossed kegs of IMR 4895 and it throws within a half grain spread. It is a stick powder. A short cut stick powder. IMR 4064 and IMR 4350, both long grained powders, throw even worse.

I have several powder measures, not shown is my Redding.

They all throw about the same. I have a bud with a Herrel, he claims it did not throw better than his cheaper RCBS measure.

Old June 2, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
DocHoliday

Thanks all for the help and information. Guess I'll just keep on loading.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:36 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Quote:
Maybe you could get the charges to be between -1/20 gr and +1/20 gr instead of between +1/10 gr and +2/10
Sound advice. And give the handle a little "knock" at the top.
Old June 3, 2010, 06:36 AM   #9
DocHoliday

Thanks again for all the tips. Have adjusted to -1/+1 tenth of a grain. Seems to be running smooth as ice now. Glad i'm reloading for my AR now since my ammo dealer is only open from M-F. Talk about putting a guy on the spot. But hey great ammo at great prices is worth the inconvenience.