The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 14, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1
MNDroptyne

Ruger sr9 question

Hey guys I've got a question, I have a ruger sr9 and it has that loaded chamber indicator piece on top. When there's a round in the chamber it sticks way up and looks really stupid, upon looking at it there looks to be a little tab that sits on top of the case when its loaded. What I'm wondering is if I file that tab off so it doesn't pop up anymore will it affect the operation of the gun? Thanks in advance.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:02 PM   #2
10-96

I'm not so sure that isn't considered a safety device- which if altered, might not fare well for you if you or a family member of yours ever decides to re-sell it.

And, if more knowledgeable folks come along and opine that it is a safety device- folks here get kind of leery about offering advice on how to alter or defeat them. But it never hurts to ask. I'm like you- I don't care for that thing sticking up there for some reason... to me it just doesn't look like it ought to be there... or very 'Merican.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 14, 2014, 10:55 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I think it is a truly terrible idea to modify a safety feature of a gun so that it doesn't work but appears to be normal from the outside.

If you really can't stand it being there, I'd recommend removing it entirely rather modifying it so that it indicates the chamber is empty when it's actually loaded.

There's the added benefit that you can reinstall it when/if you decide to sell the gun if you remove it intact rather than modifying it.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:02 AM   #4
g.willikers

Does the indicator interfere with focusing on the sights?
If not, just ignore it.
See, a simple solution.
There's only two things you should be looking at when shooting anyway, the target and the sights.
No need to pay attention to anything else.
I spend an hour trying out a SR9 and never even noticed it had one.
Wouldn't depend on it anyhow.