The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2006, 02:53 AM   #1
NFACurious

Neck turning or neck reaming?

I just aquired a 6mm PPC bolt action. Now after expanding the necks on my .220 russian ammo then mash a .243 bullet in them, i noticed my necks are way to thick. Which is better, run the cases back in the sizing die so the out side of the necks are correct and ream the inside? Or let the expander ball set the inside diameter of the necks and turn the outside? Thanks for your help.
Old December 16, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

I Have Always Outside Turned As It Is Much The More Accurate Way.

Never had a problem with it either. Do stop and think--THINK--about how much you must take off and WHEN in the procedure. Do write down all the numbers you've obtained so you do not mix 'em up.
Old December 16, 2006, 08:52 PM   #3
cheygriz

Definitely outside neck turning. Virtually all bench rest shooters outside neck turn. You get a more consistent neck.

IMHO, inside neck reaming is for cases that are shortened and formed to other calibres, where the neck becomes excessivly thick. You're not concerned with precision accuracy with your 7.65 Argentine Mauser and cases formed from .30-06 MilSurp brass, but you are (or SHOULD be) concerned with neck thickness!
Old December 16, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4
amamnn

If you have a 6mm ppc it seems likely you will be shooting at matches or going for match accuracy. If that is the case, you will want to do both. Neck reaming insures a concentric (with the case body) inside neck surface and outside turning will tailor the neck to your rifle and also aid in attaining concentricity of the cartridge with the rifle.