The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2000, 07:56 AM   #1
Icopy

Guys --
I have a HK/Benelli M1S90 with the pistol grip/shoudler stock. I know that installing 7 round mag tube is illegal on the post ban auto loader. But if I was to use a limiter to keep to it five rounds, would it be legal? I really like to the look of the full mag tube.

[This message has been edited by Icopy (edited June 16, 2000).]
Old June 16, 2000, 01:04 PM   #2
B Shipley

I think not. That would be too intelligent for the government to ever allow (like a ban on mag cap. stops crime?).
Old June 16, 2000, 02:30 PM   #3
KilgorII

Is this some state law? I have never heard of a ban on extended mag tubes for shotguns. Fill me in?

Old June 16, 2000, 02:54 PM   #4
B Shipley

Pistol grip stocked semi w/ more than 5 in the tube = BAD

Non pistol-grip semi w/ more than 5 in the tube = GOOD

Per the 1994 revision of the GCA of '68
Old June 16, 2000, 02:55 PM   #5
Kevlarman

Well, if he \b{didn't} have the pistol grip on the gun, it would be legal to have the extended mag tube (at least here in California). However, if a semi-automatic shotgun has a mag capacity of more than 5 ruonds and it has a pistol grip, it's illegal.
Old June 16, 2000, 04:16 PM   #6
KilgorII

Well that's just stupid. Of course that is a redundant statement, it's a gun law.

Old June 17, 2000, 01:10 PM   #7
Icopy

I know that as long as my M1S90 has the pistol grip stock, more than five rounds is illegal. But if I was to plug the 7 round mag tube to five rounds, then it would have the look of the 7 rounder, but only hold 5 rounds. Guess I'm calling the BATF in the morning.
Old June 17, 2000, 02:15 PM   #8
B Shipley

The criteria is not easily modified, so you could unscrew the tube and pull the plug, hence easily modified. But, in a little more time, you could unscrew the buttstock and switch it to a non-PG config., so I don't get the ATF's point.

I suggest getting both buttstocks and switching as one sees fit. I could be all wet here, but these aren't any harder to change than a Remington are they (10 minutes work)?
Old June 19, 2000, 10:25 AM   #9
Monkeyleg

I want to do the same thing. Called ATF and they had to transfer me to an inspector. She didn't know, so she called Washington. They said that I should write them a letter telling them what I intend to do, and they would make a determination as to whether I
"can" do it.

I don't think so.

Dick
Old June 19, 2000, 01:16 PM   #10
p l i n k e r

If the plug is 'permanent', there shouldn't be a problem.
Old July 1, 2000, 10:59 AM   #11
Monkeyleg

I think I may have arrived at a solution. Cut the three-round limiter rod to two rounds, and use a bit of the "liquid weld" stuff advertised on Paul Harvey's show. That should make it permanent enough, and still allow five shells. Maybe I'll run it past the head guy at our ATF office here. He's pretty friendly to gun owners, and I doubt he'd arrest me...for now, anyway.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.