The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 14, 2014, 01:00 PM   #26
zombietactics

Quote:
I go with the overhand method because it is easy and I can do it with semi-numb hands (practicing in Colorado winters forced some changes). I figure if I can do it with numb fingers, I can probably do it under some stress.
Smart observation.

I'd also add that some are quick to compare simple abduction and adduction (used to press a trigger or activate a mag release) to the far more complex combination of radial-abduction and anti-position/retro-position required to thumb a slide release.

Before forming conclusions based upon overly simplistic notions of fine vs. gross motor skills, it's wise to try these techniques with cold/freezing hands, muddy, wet or bloody hands, wearing gloves, etc.
Old July 16, 2014, 04:51 AM   #27
Brit

I carry, and use in IDPA competition, the same Glock 19, in IDPA, you can only reload with 10 rounds in the magazine.

Walking out of the door, going to drive to wherever, there is 16 rounds in the pistol.

If lock back happens, as in all rounds expended, in a match, in a gun fight (?) then the method is the same, press magazine release, take new, fully charged magazine from belt, insert into pistol, use slide release (Glock says slide lock lever? Hullo) which is an extended factory one, to put the pistol back in to battery. I have no idea how many times I have done this, but a lot.

Sometimes I have fired more rounds than planned? Brain glitch, so I need to reload sooner than planned, press mag release, new mag in, right thumb presses the slide release, back to movement, or shooting.

The thought of expending 16 rounds, and requiring a mag change? Bit of a stretch yes?
Old July 16, 2014, 08:06 AM   #28
sigpro2340

This method works for me ..

http://youtu.be/BfyULpEhmug
Old July 16, 2014, 08:06 AM   #29
kraigwy

Pick one and train with it?

Good ideal in theory..................until you switch guns. I've done most of my semi shooting over the years with a 1911, full hand grasp seemed to work fine.

But the last few years as I got more involved in to USPSA or Steel shooting, I'm gone to a Beretta 92FS because I can shoot faster then I can load.

After a few clips the pistol gets warm, the Beretta has an exposed barrel, when using the full hand grasp, you burn the crap out of your hand.

I know, you're going to tell me to pick one gun and stick with it. Well I don't want to, I want my 1911 for Bowling pins cause if you have to load shooting pins you already lost, I like the 45 to take the pins off the table. But if I'm shooting some sort of run and gun, I like my 18 round mags in the Beretta.

The two guns require a different grip to rack the slide or at least they do for me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 16, 2014, 08:36 AM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gross motor skills > fine motor skills.

Also consider the natural movements of the human body. Some movements are easier when performed one way over another.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:12 PM   #31
Striker1

Folks can be vary passionate about this subject when it comes up. I have no problem using the over-hand or the slide stop method depending on the design of the pistol. Some pistols do not have a slide stop that lends itself well to releasing the slide...like a Glock for instance. Others, like the Beretta 92/M9, 1911 are the opposite. In fact, attempting to over-hand the M9 brings it's own problem...the risk of inadvertently placing the gun on safe. I also don't buy into the "Gross Motor Skill" idea because you are still expected to operate safeties and press magazine releases so how is that any more difficult?

The bottom line...go out and test all methods on the clock and as some have mentioned, in different environments to see what works best for you with your chosen equipment.
Old July 17, 2014, 01:50 AM   #32
Slopemeno

I think it was a shortcut so trainers could just have classes train to one standard, SO- can't use the slide release on a Glock? Then nobody in the class uses the slide release.

I know what works for me.
Old July 17, 2014, 06:21 PM   #33
raimius

KraigWY and Striker, I pretty much agree.
I learned mostly on 1911s, and have a M9. I've burned my hand on the M9 barrel and I've inadvertently activated the safety! I use a little bit more of a rolling motion on the overhand-rack now, which works for me. It's a little less surface area, but I don't engage the safety and it grips far enough back to not burn.

Your hand may vary.
Old July 17, 2014, 06:32 PM   #34
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
In fact, attempting to over-hand the M9 brings it's own problem...the risk of inadvertently placing the gun on safe.
I carried a Beretta 96 on patrol. My "tap/rack" method was "tap, rack, safety" in which I physically made sure the manual safety was disengaged as part of my immediate action.
Old July 17, 2014, 06:51 PM   #35
Striker1

Quote:
I carried a Beretta 96 on patrol. My "tap/rack" method was "tap, rack, safety" in which I physically made sure the manual safety was disengaged as part of my immediate action.
I know some who take this approach as well. Here are a couple other ways that may work as well:

- Grasp slide over-hand by holding up on the safety with fore finger on one side and thumb on the other.

- Grasp slide from the rear (sling-shot) again holding the safety up with thumb and fore finger.
Old July 19, 2014, 03:36 PM   #36
Brit

Lots of mention of a safety? Use a Glock 19, no safety, use a factory extended slide release. They sell them, yes?

A holster hides the trigger, or should do, so forget the need for a safety catch.

I know different individuals say they want to use different pistols. But for carry of a self defense, carried on person pistol, using different ones, with different controls, is, IMHO, asinine!

Not to often you get written invitations to a gun fight, yes? So you could be in a strange place, poor light, both hands with bags, or even boxes.

You have a split second to respond to violence, aimed at you!

Which gun do I have today? Were is it? Does it have a safety catch?

On, and On! Laugh at me if you want, but the same gun in the same place is my way. Always.
Old July 21, 2014, 08:04 PM   #37
raimius

I'm best with my 1911, so that would be my first choice.
If I have to carry professionally, it's going to be an M9, so I chose to get one for familiarization.