The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 4, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1
mach1.3

Which to buy?

Now these will be new rifles--Marlin 39A vs. Henry Frontier?
Old May 4, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Kleab

I would recommend handling both. I had a Henry on my list up until recently. I found one at Sportsman's Warehouse and was slightly disappointed in the quality upon handling it. Now, that's just one rifle, so it's not to say every Henry will be disappointing - that was just my experience.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old May 4, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
SteelChickenShooter

Easy for me- Henry.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
PetahW

While I am a fan of older Marlin 39a's, I cannot recommend anyone buying a current Remlin (Remington-made Marlin) - nor would I buy one myself, at any price.

I've also owned a Frontier, and while mine was a nice rifle, I preferred my Standard H001 Henry to the Frontier (YMMV), since it was lighter, handier - yet operated just as smoothly & accurately.

A far better made (and quality), and also much more accurate, rifle would be a pre-safety Marlin 39a - many of which can be found in "as NIB" condition at several online sources.

Old May 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
GeauxTide

Marlin, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old May 5, 2013, 03:14 PM   #6
2ndsojourn

Why, when someone's wife can't decide which pair of shoes to buy, so she buys both pair, why can't we buy both guns?
Old May 6, 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
az_imuth

Quote:
Now these will be new rifles--Marlin 39A vs. Henry Frontier?
That would be a tough call. Normally, back before the days of Remlin, I would say get the 39A if money wasn't an issue. But with current production problems, I would suggest the Henry for anyone who wasn't prepared to sort out any problems they may encounter on a new 39. I like and own Marlins and Henry's. They are different, but each has it's advantages. Some advantages of the Henry's are that they are lighter in hand and on the wallet, they function just as well as the Marlin and are much, much smoother to operate. The Marlin, when properly built, is much stronger, has a long track record for durability, and should retain it's value well over the years. Some tout the long history of the Marlin and the fact that it was Annie Oakley's rifle of choice, but neither of these facts have any affect on the rifle you buy today. What matters more is whether today's model meets the intended standard of quality as it leaves the factory, and the level of customer service you receive if there is a problem. A little research will quickly shed some light on those areas of concern.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Revolver1

No brainer! Marlin. Henry are chintzy.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
L_Killkenny

I know you said new but I can't help myself on this one........ I say neither, buy a used Marlin or Winchester.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:02 AM   #10
chipchip

Henry...can't keep them on the rack where I work.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Cowboy_mo

No brainer! Find a 39a at least 15-20 years old and jump on it.

If you're going to compare new vs. new, refer to my original advice. I don't like the new 39a's as they are nowhere near comparable to the older ones. I sincerely doubt that a new Henry can hold a candle to the older 39a's.

And, my advice is worth every penny you paid for it.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:07 PM   #12
kutz

Henry!