The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Stan Palmer

new to reloading,41 mag loads

Would like info. about a starting place for reloading 41 mag.
Thanks
Old December 8, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Lyman 49th.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
jepp2

Do you have any reloading manuals? They are an excellent resource guide to the reloading process.

Concerning load data, I utilize Hodgdon's website since they cover loads for Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders, they list starting and max loads, show pressure and the specifics of the load (primer type and barrel length). Lots of bullets are listed.

Some powders prefer magnum primers, some prefer a strong crimp.

You will save a lot of money loading for the 41 mag.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Sevens

We can help a whole heckuva lot more if you can get more specific with your needs.

Need help with bullet choice? Technique? Equipment? Powder suggestions?
Old December 8, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bullet

Powder

Primer

Case

Thats a good starting point.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:12 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Lyman's Pistol and Revolver 3rd is a good one as well.

For bullets the 210 grain bullets work well in most .41 Mag guns as far as not having to change the sights, and shooting to point of aim.

For powders I have tried several, and have settled on two.

1. Trail Boss for cast lead general paper punching, and steel knock down targets. I shoot home cast LSWC using the Lee 210 grain TLSWC mold.

2. AA#9 For jacketed, and warm cast lead loads. I tried Alliant 2400 it worked, though was dirty even at warmer velocity levels. With jacketed loads it can get pretty darn close to where H-110 goes for velocity. It will allow for use of lead at warm velocity as H110 will not. It also very clean burning as well.

Note you are going to need to use a heavy roll crimp.

For bullets I have used several with good results. Though the majority of my shooting is with home cast lead.

Berry's 210 grain Plated FN work well. As do 210 grain Remington JSP.

For hunting I have a few Winchester Silver Tip 175 grain JHP. They did the job on several hogs quite well.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:18 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Quote:
I shoot home cast LSWC using the Lee 210 grain TLSWC mold.
I haven't reloaded much .41 Mag yet, but the one load I have tried is that bullet with 9.0 grains of Universal.

I inherited a Ruger Blackhawk .41 from my father in law, and it's pretty worn and loose -- so I don't like shooting full factory jacketed loads in it (besides, they are way too expensive.)
Old December 8, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot the home cast bullets for pure economy though I will suggest trying Trail Boss for the powder. It works well, and is clean as clean gets. The largest chore for cleaning all of my guns that I shoot Trail Boss in is the carbon from bullet lube.

Oh the mold was cheap, and it works fine for me. I have pushed them to around 1300 FPS with AA#9. I keep them in the 800 to 900 FPS area with Trail Boss. No punishing recoil at all. The only time I have a problem with them is at the range when Mrs. M&P is there. Then the problem is trying to get her to put it down long enough for me to shoot it before she shoots up all of the ammo.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:19 PM   #9
ForneyRider

H110 and various 210gr bullets with large pistol magnum primers and heavy crimp makes a very solid load.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:02 PM   #10
magothy1

.41 loads

For me, AA #5 does real well, 10.8 gr isn't too much recoil wise. My favorite bullet is the hard to find Rem 210 JSP. The Oregon Trail 215 gr cast do well, too. Unique at 9.1 gr or so is easy to shoot. Had good luck with 2400 powder, too, at 16.2 to 17.0 gr. It's a fun caliber to shoot, enjoy.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:59 AM   #11
bfoosh006

Just an FYI....Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.