The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Yacobid

cant find a PPQ so getting a Glock

After speaking to the local PD I found out my permit will be ready in a few days!

So now the hard part! I was trying to decide btwn the Walther PPQ and the Glock 19 gen4. I have been searching high and low and can not find a PPQ anywhere. A couple really great shops told me they could order one but with the changes with S&W they were expecting 6 month plus delays.

So with that said it looks the the G19 takes it. My one issue is I HATE the stock sites. Can anyone recommend aftermarket sites that are more like the PPQ (i like some daylight btwn the front post)

also I would be looking for an iwb holster. any recomendations? looking for something slim and inexpensive for now because I prob wont carry much until i get more trigger time

btw i held the hk p30 and loved it just didnt love the price
Old December 11, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Billy Shears

You won't regret the G19. They're quality pistols. The other pistols you mention are great guns too, but never regret "settling" for the Glock.

As for sights have you looked at the offerings from varioius makers being sold at places like Lone Wolf Distributors? They have quite a selection.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
chris in va

Saw one at the gun show here in Louisville. I really liked the grip ergonomics, very comfortable.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
PITT5150

Trijicons have some daylight in the sights more so than the Meprolights. I got a Desantis Intruder IWB for under $40. It's like a Crossbreed holster.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Yacobid

been checking around. These both look like good options

Warren Tactical/Sevigny series

or Ameriglo GL-433

does anyone have any experience with these or have any recommendations like them? any advantage of fiber over the glow in the dark type?
Old December 11, 2012, 11:54 PM   #6
kinoons

Yeah -- with walther and S&W parting ways I don't foresee a large number of PPQs making their way stateside for another 6 months or so....damn shame too, I absolutely and unquestionably love mine.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Nanuk

Quote:
Warren Tactical/Sevigny series
One of my buddies puts those on all of his Glocks.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:18 AM   #8
tristar viper

To sort of echo what someone else already said, you didn't "settle" when you decided on the Glock. My opinion is you chose the better gun.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:41 AM   #9
dayman

Yeah, there's no bad option between the two. I managed to find a PPQ, but now I still want a G19. You can always get the G19, then buy a PPQ when they become available again.
I second the Trijicons just because that's what I like. There's not as much space as some, but it's definitely there. If you like the space because it's easier to pick up the front sight quickly, you might like the Xs big dot too.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:00 AM   #10
testuser

I found a couple of PPQ's online in less than a minute. I think they're out there, just have your dealer order one if you want it....
Old December 12, 2012, 06:25 AM   #11
thedudeabides

LEOs all over the country use Glocks.

Part of the reason it they are cheap. The other is they are reliable and accurate.

That's not a terrible combination.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

personally, i think the walther is leagues above the glock. they can be easily found online at reasonable prices.

that being said, the one thing i actually like about the glock is the stock sight setup. i would shoot with them for awhile before you make a change. for a thin iwb holster, FIST makes a really nice ultra-thin kydex setup. i use them on my walthers now and had one for my glock 19 when i owned it. any of their holster models can be made in kydex instead of leather by adding a "k" to the model number. the 1AK and 1K are my favorites. the 1K is the basic, and the 1AK has a nice cant that makes it more comfortable and easier to draw.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 12, 2012, 09:14 AM   #13
WVsig

If you are looking for a IWB holster for the Glock 19 I have a LNIB I could sell you for a low price. They retail at $80 but I could be a lot better. IMHO cheap is not a good thing when it comes to holsters.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61
Old December 12, 2012, 09:19 AM   #14
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
IMHO cheap is not a good thing when it comes to holsters.
absolutely not. a good holster and belt make all the difference in the world.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Yacobid

Thanks for all the responses guys. I def don't think I'm settling for a glock. Honestly I really wanted both but it's not practical right now. I have seen the ppq online but I wanted to purchase my first from a small local store to build up a relationship

Never thought sites would be so confusing. There are alot of things to consider. Will an all black rear site and a fiber or "night" front site work for both low light and daylight?
Old December 12, 2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Fishbed77

If you can only get one, I'd personally hold out for the PPQ. It sounds like what you really want. In my experience, it is a superior pistol to a Glock, with the caveat that accessories tend to be more expensive and not as easy to find locally (but are readily available on the internet).

Frankly, I don't think they are hard to find at all. Most of the local gun shops I frequent always have at least one 9mm and one .40S&W version on the shelf, and occasionally have a P99 as well.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:38 AM   #17
loose_holster_dan

personal preference, but i don't like plain blade sights on front or back. you want something that is going to draw the attention of your eye. for a carry or self defense gun, i would keep the stock 3 dot white sights or opt for a 3 dot night sight option. trijicon and meprolight are both good brands for night sights. i'm getting the meprolights for my ppq for christmas.

my sig p226 came with an adjustable rear blade sight and dawson precision fiber. i replaced immediately with trijicon night sights.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:57 AM   #18
Gaerek

Quote:
any advantage of fiber over the glow in the dark type?
You can get Tru-Glo TFO sights that gives you both. If it's a choice between the two, I personally would go with Night Sights. For a competition gun, or one I for some reason know I will use only in the light (not very likely) I'd get the fiber.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Crankgrinder

theres definately things you can do with the sights, glock has more aftermarket support than most pistols due to their huge contracts/popularity. Im gonna get beat for this but sorry that walthers ugly. Uglier than the glock. I think its daddy was a hi point. glocks are very plain and i have loved walthers in the past but this ppq looks like a gang bangers gun.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #20
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Im gonna get beat for this but sorry that walthers ugly. Uglier than the glock. I think its daddy was a hi point. glocks are very plain and i have loved walthers in the past but this ppq looks like a gang bangers gun.
booooooo!
it looks like a hammer-less hk p30
yes, the pps is ugly with the huge trigger guard, but the ppq looks fine.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Yacobid

Agreed the ppq is ugly but ill take its comfort, accuracy, and trigger over looks any day

Glock is very plain, not ugly but not sexy either, not comfortable but not uncomfortable. Very accurate and reliable(but so are alot of guns now a days) I equate it with driving a Honda civic, gets the job done and can't fault for any reason but it's not a bwm m3, or any other car you might equate it to. Again is also rather drive a civic than a datsun
Old December 12, 2012, 06:01 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

lol this thread is hilarious. Both my PPQ and my Glock 19 are under investigation for malfunctions.

I do agree that the PPQ is more ugly than the Glock. It's just more comfortable in the hand.

Both guns are good..mine just decided to act up within a month of each other. Carrying the 1911 XO now.

I've learned to wait out for the gun you REALLY want. Whichever that may be...

Would you want to consider something else besides the two aforementioned?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Yacobid

Constantine, Im always open to suggestions.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:07 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

I love when someone is open!

Would you be interested in a used SIG P229, Beretta PX4 Storm, Or a nice Hk P30, or XDm from Springfield Armory?

www.duckcreekarmory.com amazing people..they even have online lay away. Nothing is too expensive when you have layaway.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:11 PM   #25
Yacobid

I think I would like to own a sig at some point but for right now too many buttons and levers. For my first I wanted something simplier

Havent really looked into the Storm

I actually held the HK P30 and LOVE the feel of it maybe even a bit more so than the PPQ, problem is I can almost own the PPQ and glock for the price of the HK

Tags
glock 19 , glock sites , ppq