The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1
ccw08

Best Load Data Book?

I know I know, this is a Ford VS Chevy post lol

I am going to buy a new Load Manual since I have been using the caliber specific load data books and they are great but I want to be able to look up more calibers.

What book do you guys prefer the most? I know most of you have a couple different you like, please let me know which ones and why.

I am kinda new to reloading, I bought the individual caliber books because they are easy to navigate, now that I have been loading alot more I want to get a couple more calibers so I need a GOOD load data book.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Hook686

I like the Lyman manual. It seems to me to have more general load data, not just data for one powder manufacturer, or one bullet maker.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Sky Master

I have the Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Lyman Manuals, but I've also downloaded the Alliant, Winchester and Hodgdon Manuals.
I addition I've also checked other forums to see what favorite load other handloaders use. It all depends on what brand and type of bullet I'm reloading.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Sam06

I think the Sierra is about the best out there. I like the bullet company books (Sierra, Hornaday, speer) because they seem to have more realistic data. The only problem is they only deal with their bullets. The LOad Books are great for each Caliber you load for.

PO Ackleys books are a great read but the data is very old and most powders have changed, but as a historic reference his books and Phil Sharp's are really good reads.

The Lyman Reloading Book is a good choice too. It has some very good data and the tips and instruction at the front is great.

What I am saying is don't limit yourself to just one. But if I was to start out I would say in this order:

1. Sierra
2. Hornady both Volumes
3. Lyman
4. Speer
5. Hogden
Old December 20, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
NuJudge

Different best for different shooting

If you are going to shoot cast bullets, go Lyman.

If you are going to shoot targets only, expecially with MatchKing bullets, go with Sierra.

I have the Speer, but no experience with the Hornady. I have the first Lee manual, but did not like it.

I particularly like the older Lyman manuals, because they list loads that will shoot well in most any rifle of the caliber. Sierra does this also, but their focus seems to be mostly on target shooting.

CDD
Old December 20, 2009, 11:11 AM   #6
wncchester

First, it IS Ford vs. Chevy, meaning they are ALL good. So, what's "best" for anyone is which has either the data he needs or is presented as he prefers.

Using books from the specific bullet makers is poplular but really not needed, all loading data is only generic anyway. The biggest thing we can change about any load is the rifle we shoot it in, so info using any specific powder and bullet weight by any maker is only a starting point.

I believe the Lyman, Lee and Hodgdon manuals offer the widest range of powders for each listed round and bullet weight. Some don't care for the Lee because it has info from other sources that can often be had for free; that's true but it only matters if you have the free stuff!
Old December 20, 2009, 11:33 AM   #7
ccw08

I will kinda throw this out there, maybe it will help out.

I load 38 special Lead Semi Wadcutter 158gn

Also 45acp 200gn Lead Round Nose and 230 Grain Lead Round Nose.

I will soon be loading 115 & 124 gn 9mm as well and in the future maybe more.

I do currently only shoot cast as it is cheaper but I will be loading quite a few plated ( probably Berry's ) 9mm to shoot through my Glock
Old December 20, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
spacecoast

Who needs a book? There are tons of official and unofficial resources online.

Caveat - I always check my loads with at least two or three different sources.

http://www.reloadammo.com/reload.htm
http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
Old December 20, 2009, 11:56 AM   #9
N.H. Yankee

Actually I like to have at least 3 books to compare data. Also 1 load for a 150gr sierra and a 150gr speer for the same caliber can be very different and create different pressures due to the shape, and bearing surface of the bullet. There are too many factors such as chamber dimension and seating dept. I am a firm believer on getting the data from the source of the bullet manufacturer and start at the low end and check my primers working up slowly. I also ALWAYS compare the load to at least one other source as typo's can happen!

If I had to use just one I prefer the Speer manual, it seems to fit what I load the best. I do download as many manuals as I can find and pick up the freebies at the local shop when available.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:30 PM   #10
gearheadpyro

I check my loads with 3 load manuals, Hornady, Lyman, and Sierra.

All 3 have great info, but if I had to pick one it would be the Lyman 49th.
Old December 20, 2009, 01:51 PM   #11
jepp2

For lead, the Lee manual has the most loads listed. My next choice for lead would by Lyman. But in some calibers, the single cartridge manuals work fairly well.

The bullet manufacturer load manuals I have, lack for lead loads.
Old December 20, 2009, 01:55 PM   #12
BigJimP

I tend to stay with the powder company books - or recipes - like Hodgdon since I use a lot of Hodgdon powders.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:20 PM   #13
flyguy958

1. Hornady
2. Sierra
3. Speer

The online sites have a lot of information also, I just like the convenience and feel of reaching for a real book.

I have the Lee book as well but don't use it very much. Not sure why but it does not get much use.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:21 PM   #14
80viking

If your only going to buy one book buy the Lyman, they don't play any favorites because they don't sell any components, they cover every remotely popular cartridge and almost all readily available components
Old December 22, 2009, 06:05 PM   #15
glocktoys

i like hornady but get alot of info off the web too
Old December 22, 2009, 06:49 PM   #16
crimsondave

I have Lyman 49, Speer new one(#?), Speer #11, Hornady from couple years ago, Nosler from couple years ago, and Lee. I like to check them all before I start a new load, but I like the Lyman and the old Speer the best. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Lyman just because the old Speer doesn't have the new calibers.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:51 PM   #17
wncchester

"I will kinda throw this out there (.38. .45. 9mm), maybe it will help out."

Yeah, that does make a difference, a lot of difference; you want a Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handloading manual.

There is no practical difference in reloading plated vs. un-plated lead bullets.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:14 AM   #18
CraigC

Can't believe I don't see LoadData.com referenced more often. For $30 a year you get access to all the data ever published in Handloader/Rifle magazines and most of the manuals. It's an invaluable resource.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:34 AM   #19
NWPilgrim

For cast lead bullets I would go for Lyman #49, or the Lyman pistol and revolver (but it is older than #49). The Lee would be my second manual for cast bullets. Both of these have good info on the reloading steps, especially if you have their equipment. Both are very big supporters and suppliers of bullet casters.

I would also use the free online data from the powder manufacturers, though most don't have much for lead bullets.

The bullet makers' manuals have comparatively little on cast lead.

The loaddata.com site would be a good third purchase.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 23, 2009, 01:12 AM   #20
Kyo

lee cause its only 20 bucks instead of 50 or 100... best value in my opinion
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 23, 2009, 05:22 AM   #21
Bud Helms

Hornady
Lyman
Speer
Hodgdon
Nosler
P.O. Ackley
Old December 23, 2009, 06:14 PM   #22
Toolman

I have 3-4 manuals that I use (Lee, Sierra, Hornady + the powder mfgrs) along with,,,,,,,, a copy of Hatchers Notebook.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:56 PM   #23
les265

For lead bullets, I find the Lee and Lyman manuals to be the best. The Lee manual is a very interesting book and for the price of it, everybody should have a copy.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:21 PM   #24
Fullthrottle

I just have the recent Lee Modern reloading. Like you I am relatively new to this stuff. I do intend to purchase other manuals(to compare), thus far the Lee has yet to dissapoint. Though I gather from other posts it depends on what you want to accomplish(personally I just load handgun for target) for now!
Old December 24, 2009, 01:21 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

The Hornady book is my first reference. It has been shown on many forums that their data is a little light, but I like the simplicity of their layout. They chose to charge the customer for extra paper; rather than cramming everything onto fewer pages. It's a compromise I agree with.

I also like Nosler's book, for their bullets and the "Most accurate powder tested". Their 'most accurate' powder is usually something that does quite well in the cartridge. (It doesn't hurt that some of the articles that precede each cartridge are fun to read. ...Take note of the ones that don't actually compliment the cartridge, but only compare it to similar designs. They crack me up...)

I have a Speer manual; which is used often, but is nothing special.
I spend the horrific $6 a year for the Hodgdon manual (periodical style). It's a great reference, but limited in bullet selection. It also lists incomplete data for certain powders... a little annoying.
I hate the Lee manual. (I have one, since it's a fairly comprehensive collection of data.) It's just too complicated; and the charts for the dippers and disks, and double disks all get in the way of what I'm actually interested in.

I would like to pick up a Lyman manual, but they're too damn expensive around here.
--Barnes' manual would be nice to have, but their data is available online. I just print off the calibers I own, and call it good.--

Of course, the Hodgdon reloading data center is a great reference. Also available, is the Accurate reloading information. I printed off their entire "recipe book". It was only about 17 pages.

The most important thing is:
I use Hornady, Speer, Nosler, and Barnes bullets; as well as Hodgdon, Winchester, and Accurate powders quite often. My manuals back up my component choices.
My only gaps are: IMR powders and Sierra bullets.

Choose a book that corresponds to the components you use the most. Add more books whenever you can.