The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 1, 2002, 06:37 PM   #1
slick slidestop

I don't get it? High dollar "hi-caps"

Help me out here guys and gals. I can't understand why someone would spend $80-$100 dollars on a pre-ban hi-cap mag that holds 13 rounds. It's only 3 more rounds!!

I can see the desire to have a 15/17 or more hi-cap mag for a pistol, but I can't see spending that much money.

Does the satisfaction lie in the fact you have something most others don't? Or do you feel it gives you a tactical advantage over several 10 rounders?

I'm not trying to flame here, It's your money and your decision, I'm just trying to understand how you justify the high prices.

The 13 rounders especially baffle me as to how quickly people will snatch them up.
Old January 1, 2002, 06:46 PM   #2
Fred Hansen

I would attribute it to the American spirit of rebellion. Gummint makes an irrational rule picking an arbitrary "safe" number of rounds that one can have, Americans say bite me. It's only money.

p.s. I won't pay that kind of money for something like that either, but if other folks do, I say "Rock on!" Anything to put Sarah, Charley and Hitlery's knickers in a twist.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old January 2, 2002, 03:43 PM   #3
knowledgegreen

Hey jmbg29,

You hit the nail right on the head. Oh, and thanks for your support.
Old January 2, 2002, 09:29 PM   #4
piersol

I can't speak for anybody else, but my reasoning behind it is this:
1. You never know when that extra round will be the deciding factor between life or death
2. It makes me feel good to have something legal the Govt. doesn't want me to have.
Besides, it's only money
Old January 2, 2002, 11:11 PM   #5
rocko

Also realize while a pre-ban normal cap (I refuse to use hicap)mag may be 2-3x more expensive than a postban 10rounder, it isn't a whole lot when you compare it to the cost of owning the gun over the years. Think of how much money you spend on ammo and cleaning supplies, even on gas driving to the range, etc. This is why I never hesitate to spend a couple hundred extra bucks to buy a quality gun - the other owerships costs will probably be the same regardless of what gun you get. The extra $200 may seem like alot up front, but if you shoot often, you'll spend much more than the original purchase price of the gun in a few years shooting it.

Rocko
Old January 2, 2002, 11:18 PM   #6

Man, you guys beat me to it. My buddies and I have a running joke. When one of us buys something gun related, someone will always ask why we wanted it. Our answer is always the same; Because it keeps Janet Reno awake at night.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 3, 2002, 04:14 AM   #7
Point Blank

You can slap a +2 on a Glock hicap. So instead of 10 rounds with a Glock 23 you are now looking at 15 rounds
Old January 6, 2002, 09:53 PM   #8
Jaywalker

I guess the answer is that some are willing to pay and some aren't. I paid up to $40 for Browning HP magazines, but passed on the $75 versions soon after the ban - it was "only three more rounds." It was silly, but I felt like my HP deserved the real magazines. I said it was silly.

I'm willing to pay $30+ for AR-15 magazines, on the chance they'll be worth more someday, maybe after I've worn them out.

Jaywalker
Old January 8, 2002, 01:25 PM   #9
ATTICUS

There are few practical advantages in 2-3 extra rounds, but the remaining supply of high caps is finite, which makes them semi- collectible. Fifty years from now, some types of the remaining high caps may be exceedingly rare and collectable.
Old January 11, 2002, 11:39 AM   #10
jason10mm

It will be interesting to see what the pre-ban market does as the ban sunset gets closer. If it looks like the ban will expire, all the money folks have in pre-ban guns and mags will go up in smoke (something I'm sure gun stores are NOT happy about), but if it gets continued (and probably permanently enforced) then pre-bans will go up even more because I'm sure a lot of folks are holding off "just in case" the ban sunsets. So far I own no pre-ban rifles and only have some relatively inexpensive pre-ban mags (AR, beretta, browning, etc). My only forseeable pre-ban purchase is going to be a SP-1, which should hold some value as an old colt army rifle irrespective of it's pre-ban status. I've held off getting small caliber glocks or a p-99 to avoid temptation to buy those $100 mags, but if the ban is permanently installed, $100 is going to be nothing to what those mags command in 10 years, unless a serious pre-ban pipeline gets set up like what is going on with the AK and CETME mags now. Well, I hear it barely passed in 1994, so here's to dumping it in 2004.

BTW, what will happen to all those post-ban ARs, 10rd mags, thumbhole stocks, and compensators if the ban sunsets? I wonder if gun stores will sell out their stock and forego restocking those items till there is a clear indication of which way its going to go. Same with selling pre-bans. You'd look pretty dumb if you forked over $1600 for a pre-ban BM when you can but a new one with the same features for $800 a week later. The market is going to be damn squirrely the summer of 2004!!
Old January 11, 2002, 04:56 PM   #11
Erich

BTW (since they got mentioned)

If anyone's looking for inexpensive Hi-Power mags, check CDNN Investments - they have some good prices.
Old January 11, 2002, 08:02 PM   #12
HKguy9

I got them (several years ago before the CA ban) as a matter of engineering principle. The Beretta I was going to buy when I turned 21 was designed for 15 rounds, and any deviation from that, that was not the manufacturer's choice, is not a good idea from a reliability standpoint. If Beretta had decided to use 10-rounders as an engineering principle, I wouldn't have any problems, but they were coerced into it because of government regs. At least that's my opinion.

I ended up buying a USP40 for my 21st barfday instead and had to use my neutered 10-rounders becuase I dont have prebans for that gun. I bought the Beretta mags because I was certain I wanted a Beretta for my 21st birthday because:
1. The 9mm is a dope-ass round (ok I went to public school in LA that's all I knew was out there)
2. The military uses it, so it must be good.

I really like the Beretta though and glad I got standard capacity mags before the ban. Too bad I didn't get them for my HK40.
Old January 11, 2002, 11:54 PM   #13
cuerno de chivo

Wondernines (or .40s or .357s) are not wonderful with 11rds.