The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 2001, 03:32 PM   #1
Charmedlyfe

Just got my Richard's Microfit Stock today...

and I ain't happy. The stocks are supposed to be shaped and ready for final sanding on the outside, and 96% inletted. Bull. The stock I got was VERY roughly shaped (a lot of it done with a dremel, apparently). The flat bottom of the fore-end is cut at an angle , and would have to be re-cut. The cheek-piece is poorly cut to the point that it would have to be completely re-shaped. The inletting (for a Vz24) is poorly cut, and holes were not cleanly or evenly cut. The inletting is not along the centerline. The rear of the receiver portion of the stock (outside) is not shaped, and is instead squared off. I'm quite capable of handling stockwork, but cutting from a blank would be easier than fixing this beast. Definitely a $175 mistake.

Oh, did I mention that I'm returning it and just going with a McMillian A2?
Old December 4, 2001, 03:56 PM   #2
DeBee

Damn.

Was this a walnut or a laminated stock?

What did they say when you reported the condition of the item?

I am looking at my order on my desk to them right now... 2 English and 1 Bastogne walnut stocks- quite a bit more than 175 too... Now I am hesitant... I've been agonizing for months on stock design and grade of walnut...

I think only 2-3 people really know what they are doing in that place, and they don't get on the phone. They do have a 100% guarantee. I hope you will express the fact that we gunmakers expect more from them- at least inletting on the centerline... I can make my own crooked stock from a blank!

You might also have to go back and forth with McMillan, too. I've heard it happen alot last year but current reports have them straightened out now...

Keep me/us informed...
Old December 4, 2001, 06:38 PM   #3
Charmedlyfe

Actually, I shot 'em an e-mail and haven't heard back yet. This was a laminate (NOT one of the 'sale' laminates). The laminate actually seemed pretty decent.....a lot better than the Midway garbage. Not at all too dry to work with, or too damp to be stable. Overall, the material was very good, just the execution sucked. It was a 'tactical' design, and the cheekpiece is so far forward that it would interfere with manipulation of the bolt without major redesign. The reason I went for it was because I like laminates, and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of cutting from blank.

I can get what I want out of McMillian. I've worked with composites before, and I can fix anything short of a bent fore-end fairly easily. Plus, I can get them to cut the stock for the adjustible cheek. I'm not looking for 'perfect', just good enough for me to work with. I don't have enough time in my day for major personal projects.
Old December 4, 2001, 07:43 PM   #4
Charmedlyfe

I got my response from Richard's. Very professional and polite. While I am returning the stock, my opinion of the company is very high due to their superior customer service.
Old December 6, 2001, 08:29 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

To All:
I have done business with Richard for over 10 Yrs. Sometimes there are mistakes. Richard however will make it good. From the sounds of it the stock ordered was not his best work. It sounds like one of his very economy stocks, many came that way. I will have to agree, @ $175.00, that is not what I would expect, and I am sure Richard didn't either. Call him, he will make it right for you

HJN
Old December 9, 2001, 12:05 AM   #6
DnPRK

I live about 20 minutes from Richards Microfit and have done business in person several times. Charles Richards (owner) is very knowledgable and has readily made good any problems. Give them a call and be sure to ask for Charles.

He has racks of stocks done over the past 15 years, most with defects in the wood or workmanship. Make sure he makes your stock from a new blank and doesn't send one of the ones off the rack.

Charles Richards' phone is 818-767-6097

edit to add phone #