The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
kenno

Doughnut paterns with #1 Buck

I have two 870s, both are 2 3/4 12 ga. One is a Wingmaster with a screw-in full choke. The second gun is a riotgun with a 20" full-open bore. Both guns are smooth bore.
with Rem buffered #1 buck the riotgun shoots a doughnut pattern with a hole about 18" across at 20 yards.
The full choke shoots a smaller pattern but at 40 yards it is big enough to 'miss' a 20 inch bullseye.
I figgure I should switch to ammo with a shot-cup, what brand should I look for?
Old April 1, 2010, 05:23 AM   #2
highvel

I get best results with Federal Shells, followed closely behind by Winchester.
With my 870 3" at 40 yds the 18" bullseye would be toast with atleast 6-8 holes in it!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 1, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Jack O'Conner

Full choke is the way to go. The plastic granules allow the shot column to compress a little without forming flat spots on the balls. Flat spots cause erratic flight and poor patterns.

Keep your shots a lot closer. 20 yards / 60 feet is about the longest I care to shoot #1 Buck. Back in the 70's I shot a doe in the head with 16 gauge and #1 Buck. Distance was approx 50 feet. The animal dropped with a portion of the head missing. Very gory and ghastly wound.

I shot a couple coyotes with same shotgun and load at approx 50 yards. Both ran away wounded and travelled about half mile before expiring. I wouldn't do it again. Even though I'm no fan of coyotes, they deserve a quick death.

Jack
Old April 2, 2010, 02:01 AM   #4
birdshot

police ammo

you must have gotten some of the law enforcement only ammo.