The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2010, 02:45 AM   #26
les265

I owned a Glock 26 and currently own a Kahr CW9. I do like the trigger on the Glock better, but I have no complaints about the Kahr trigger, it is just a different type than the Glock. I got rid of the Glock because it was too thick to carry IWB comfortably. I bought the CW9 because of how thin it is. It also feels very good in my hand and shoots great. The Glock 26 is a great gun, but I seemed to leave it at home more often than not. The Kahr is much easier to carry.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:09 AM   #27
iblong

I had a Glock 26 and loved shooting it,In the( IWB)not so much.I bought a Kahr cw9 and it carries much nicer and shoots just as well.My wife stole it and she carries it 24/7.and shoots it amazingly well.I bought a Pm9 for summer carry or back up and its been awesome nice trigger and real accurate.
I have had zero failures with either and think there great little pistols.
That said my daily carry is a 1911 Colt officer that I carry(IWB) and other than weight it carries and conceals as easy as the CW9.and is a touch more comforting.
bob.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:03 PM   #28
Akimbo

I like the glock 26, Mainly because of glock's popular and reliable name.

TEAM GLOCK
Old January 31, 2010, 11:48 PM   #29
AcridSaint

Not being a "Glock guy", I can't say that I find the Glock trigger to be better than the Kahr. I do like Glock pistols just fine, but I think that the Kahr trigger has a far better feel.

I also like the slenderness of the Kahr - it's on the short list for guns I want to pick up. The slides on the ones I've handled were crazy tight and had fairly heavy recoil springs. That would be the one thing I would call a "detractor".

Funny thing RE any pistol will FTF/FTE etc. I saw part of a Gabe Suarez video where he had like three malfunctions in just a couple of minutes of video. He was shooting a Glock and was not running malfunction drills. Here's what the tells me - all firearms malfunction and the best way to overcome it is to practice getting them back in the fight.
Old February 8, 2010, 10:25 AM   #30
TUFF99

I also looked at the Kahr cw9 and taurus709 but decided to get the glock26. ive had it two weeks and have put 600rds through it so far without a single hiccup. I am 6-1 225lbs and have no prob CC'ing it with jeans and a t-shirt. The thickness has not been a prob so far.

If size is important to you, may I suggest the Kel-Tec pm9. smaller than a Kahr and still in 9mm.

I give the Glock26 a 10 out of 10 for CC
Old February 8, 2010, 10:36 AM   #31
richiep

Thanks

I am still debating on the glock 26 and khar cw9. My buddy just bought a cw9 so i will be able to test it out shortly. I really like the glocks at the same time. I dried fired khar the other day and the trigger was unbeleivably smoot for a DA
Old February 8, 2010, 05:22 PM   #32
O'Dell

Kahr cw9 vs. Glock 26 vs. Taurus 709

I went into my LGS back in Sept. with the intent of buying a 709 Slim. At the time the online reviews were somewhat spotty, so I had some doubts. Anyway, when I left the store, I was carrying a CW9, and it's been a great gun. 400+ flawless rounds with ball and various HP's including my carry rounds of Gold Dots and Federal HST's. It also has low felt recoil for a small 9mm, unlike my PF9, which is sorta ammo finicky. In fact, I like it so well, when I went to a 45 winter carry recently, my first 45 was a CW45.
Old February 8, 2010, 05:51 PM   #33
B18C5-EH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFF99
I also looked at the Kahr cw9 and taurus709 but decided to get the glock26. ive had it two weeks and have put 600rds through it so far without a single hiccup. I am 6-1 225lbs and have no prob CC'ing it with jeans and a t-shirt. The thickness has not been a prob so far.
I'm not sure how big the OP is, but all in all a person's size won't change the fact that the CW9 is only .90'' thick whereas the Glock 26 is 1.18'' thick. It doesn't sound like much difference, but I've carried my baby Glock all day, then carried a CW40 the very next day - the difference in thickness IS night and day IMO when carrying in an ISWB holster.

My PM9 is obviously extremely easy to carry when compared to the brick...er...I mean my Glock.

Quote:
If size is important to you, may I suggest the Kel-Tec pm9. smaller than a Kahr and still in 9mm.
I'm assuming you mean the Kel-Tec PF-9,right?

The Kel-Tec PF9 is smaller than the Kahr Arms CW9, but is larger than the Kahr Arms PM9.

The Kel-Tec from most owners' accounts isn't a bad pistol,but it doesn't take long to find complaints about them not feeding certain ammo, etc. I almost bought a Kel-Tec PF-9, but found a stupid deal on a Kahr PM9 that I just had to jump on.

Comparatively speaking the Kahr Arms pistols are of higher build quality than the Kel-Tec. It is easily seen when comparing the plastics and the finishes on them. The Kel-Tec has seams in it's plastics that can be felt, and this includes the plastic trigger itself. The Kahr has a smooth in feel and in action metal trigger and overall more attention to detail.

If cost/funds are a concern then the comparison should still be Kahr CW9 vs Kel-Tec, but if one can afford the even smaller Kahr Arms PM9 then I say by all means buy one. Polygonal rifling, match grade barrel, smaller overall dimensions, metal trigger with smoother action, etc. etc.

Quote:
I give the Glock26 a 10 out of 10 for CC
I'd give it 10/10 for shooting fun,but for daily CC duties a person such as myself that carries for up to 10 hours definitely wants something lighter and slimmer.

In regards to actual comfortable carry I give the baby Glock a 7/10 and the Kahr Arms offerings 10/10.

Old March 12, 2010, 02:28 PM   #34
idahonotch

Kahr info.

I purchased a Kahr 45 new and loved the way it shot and carried. Unfortunately, with less than 150 rounds fired, it cracked nearly 360 degrees around the top of the grip from the left side of the trigger guard to the right side. If it hadn't pinched the webbing of my hand, it would likely have split in two before the crack was discovered. I sent the firearm back to Kahr and 62 days later, after hours on the phone, most of the time on hold, I received a replacement. The replacement did not fire to point of aim, had a pin in the grip that had been over drifted, and the side cover started to fall off. I promptly sold it as I refused to go thru all the hassle needed to get it repaired.

Needless to say, I'd never buy another Kahr nor would I recommend one. You can't get anyone to return your calls if you have a proble. You're extremely lucky if you can reach a human being, and if you do, you're very likely to be given the runaround.

I have several friends that have sold their Kahrs due to failure to feed problems. They just didn't have any faith in them as a carry gun.

If anyone doubts the cracked grip concern, email me, I have lots of photos of the gun!!
Old March 12, 2010, 03:21 PM   #35
Bamashooter

Well i cant afford a kahr. I dont like glocks. That kinda narrows it down. Despite what ive heard here and other places about taurus, all the taurus' ive owned or shot seemed to be pretty good guns.
Old March 12, 2010, 04:26 PM   #36
5whiskey

idahonotch, I'm actually very sorry you've had that experience. I don't know why you would think that someone would not believe you... I don't see why anyone has a reason to lie about a **** poor personal experience.

I'm sorry for your experience because you've been turned off by a lemon in a particularly good brand of firearm, IMHO. I don't blame you though. If I had 1 glock, and it happened to be the 1 in 10k that was a lemon, I would write off glocks. I'm human, and it's hard to stay open-minded after such a bad experience, even when everyone else says that they've had great experiences with the product.

I've been very pleased with my Kahr. I can't say I've had thousands of rounds through it, but I am past the break-in period with no issues what-so-ever. It's Oh so easy to conceal and carry, and the trigger is outstanding. I love my little Kahr, I just hope it keeps humming
Old March 12, 2010, 04:26 PM   #37
B18C5-EH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahonotch
I purchased a Kahr 45 new and loved the way it shot and carried. Unfortunately, with less than 150 rounds fired, it cracked nearly 360 degrees around the top of the grip from the left side of the trigger guard to the right side. If it hadn't pinched the webbing of my hand, it would likely have split in two before the crack was discovered. I sent the firearm back to Kahr and 62 days later, after hours on the phone, most of the time on hold, I received a replacement. The replacement did not fire to point of aim, had a pin in the grip that had been over drifted, and the side cover started to fall off. I promptly sold it as I refused to go thru all the hassle needed to get it repaired.

Needless to say, I'd never buy another Kahr nor would I recommend one. You can't get anyone to return your calls if you have a proble. You're extremely lucky if you can reach a human being, and if you do, you're very likely to be given the runaround.

I have several friends that have sold their Kahrs due to failure to feed problems. They just didn't have any faith in them as a carry gun.

If anyone doubts the cracked grip concern, email me, I have lots of photos of the gun!!
Exactly WHEN did all of this take place?

The reason I ask is that Kahr's customer service has been nothing short of amazing for me and a co worker, and everything I've read about their customer service and turn around time has been nothing but positive.

I could call Kahr right now and get Ian Burr on the phone, or if leaving a message he's always returned my call within 30 minutes or so.

Kahr might have had some customer service issues in the past, but lately their turn around time has been approx. SIX DAYS which is only FOUR business days - you can't beat that.

I just have a problem with someone registering on a message board for the sole purpose of trashing a brand. I'd like to see those pics, see when this occurred, know who exactly at Kahr you dealt with, etc. etc.

I'm not saying your experience didn't suck, and my positive experience (and that of a dozen or more member here on TFL) doesn't negate your horrible experience, but it's shocking that you had such an experience.
Old March 12, 2010, 04:49 PM   #38
voodoo54

I own a Glock and a Kahr and for CCW the Kahr beats the Glock hands down. The Glock is a great Service Weapon/Home Defender but the Glock pales in comparison for CCW.
Old March 12, 2010, 05:43 PM   #39
NoScreenName

My Kahr MK9 is my new favorite. It hasn't been more than 3 ft away from me since it was deemed reliable.

Love the trigger. Nothing like any revolver I've ever fired. Much, much better.

Try the Kahr. You'll like it.

You'll like the Glock too.

NO comment on the Taurus.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:39 AM   #40
O'Dell

I faced the same decision last summer [[Except for the G26 - I can't shoot them well]. I actually went to my LGS to buy a 709. Sitting next to it in the case was a CW9. It was smaller and lighter, so I took a chance and left with the Kahr. I couldn't be happier - well over 400 rounds of ball, HP's, and various defense rounds w/o one problem. I sold my PF9, because the CW9 is almost the same size, and the KT was ammo finicky. In fact, when I recently started a conversion to 45, the CW45 was my first purchase. So far through 200 rounds, it's also been perfect.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:43 AM   #41
O'Dell

Sorry, I forgot I had already posted - gotta work on that memory.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:28 PM   #42
Golddog

CW9 or G26

I've owned and carried both the CW9 and the 26. The 26 is lighter and slimmer and perhaps the most comfortable decent-sized gun to carry concealed.

But carry is only part of the deal. While the CW9 trigger is OK as DAO guns go, the pull is still very long and requires lots of practice. The Glock pull is excellent, and any reasonably experienced gun person can shoot it quite well with virtually no training. The first time I shot the 26, I knew the CW9 was history.
Old March 15, 2010, 09:58 PM   #43
shinerjohn

Quote:
The 26 is lighter and slimmer and perhaps the most comfortable decent-sized gun to carry concealed.

Golddog, actually the CW9 is thinner and lighter than the Glock 26. Glock 26 in 1.18" wide, while the CW9 is .90" wide. The Glock 26 weighs 19.75 oz. while the CW9 weighs only 15.8 oz.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:12 PM   #44
B18C5-EH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog
I've owned and carried both the CW9 and the 26. The 26 is lighter and slimmer and perhaps the most comfortable decent-sized gun to carry concealed.
Ummm no. I don't believe you've owned and carried both guns, because if you had you'd never make a statement that flies in the face of facts.

I've already established long ago in this very topic that the Glock is a bloated pig compared to the Kahr CW series. Here's a reminder:

Kahr CW on the left at .90'' - Glock on the right at 1.18'':

Quote:
But carry is only part of the deal. While the CW9 trigger is OK as DAO guns go, the pull is still very long and requires lots of practice. The Glock pull is excellent, and any reasonably experienced gun person can shoot it quite well with virtually no training. The first time I shot the 26, I knew the CW9 was history.
Do you work for Glock or something? I happen to own a Glock 39 and two Kahr arms PM series pistols (PM9 and PM40) and there is more of a learning curve for the Glocks because they have what feels to be a "two stage" trigger meaning that the first 75% of the trigger pull is lighter, then it tensions up significantly before you finally squeeze through to make the pistol fire. I'm used to it so I like it a lot.

BUT!

Anyone who shoots my Glock and Kahr PM9 (nobody else has shot the PM40) immediately comment on how much better the PM9 trigger is compared to the Glock. The PM9 trigger is long, but steady, and the actual trigger itself being smooth metal feels better touch-wise than the double plastic trigger mechanism on the Glock IMO.

The trigger thing is certainly a subjective issue, but you cannot twist the laws of physics to say that a fatter, heavier (Glock) pistol is lighter and slimmer than the lighter and slimmer pistol!

Old March 15, 2010, 11:53 PM   #45
Sgt Pepper

I like Glock, but Kahr all the way on this one. I had my questions about Kahr until I took a chance on one, and I will never look back for CCW. Light, slim, comfortable to shoot, nice trigger, accurate as hell. LOVE my P45.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:45 AM   #46
hdawson228

No question, Glock is a very good weapon. But it still has a grip angle than many find unnatural. However, the Kahr is a great self defense handgun.

I agree with B18c5-EH2, Not sure Golddog has seen the Kahr.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:17 AM   #47
PSP

Quote:
Idahonotch, I'd be very interested in seeing these pictures, either posted here or sent to me in a PM. Thanks.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:46 AM   #48
B18C5-EH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahonotch
Idahonotch, I'd be very interested in seeing these pictures, either posted here or sent to me in a PM. Thanks.
I like how Idahonotch jumps in the fray, posts his only post here on TFL, and then doesn't respond for days on end when asked about his statements. I can go forum jumping and say the exact same things like:

"I've owned 2 of brand X pistols and they are junk. Mine broke. Don't believe me? I'll show you the pics!"

...and the anecdotal:

"I've had numerous friends who owned those brand X guns and every one of them were garbage. None of my friends will even consider owning another brand X pistol."

...and the ever popular:

"A local gun store here stopped carrying brand X firearms due to the overwhelming amount of problems and crappy customer service."

I can post all of this garbage and never come back to bolster the statements. Until Idahonotch comes back in here to clarify his remarks all he's done is be a worthless troll who is just stirring up an argument,albeit a one-sided one if he won't come back here to explain...

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; March 16, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:42 AM   #49
SQUAREKNOT

Polygonal rifling, match grade barrel,

I just bought a CW40. The first 6 rds through it at 15 feet were 1". Its very well made and carries easy. I was carrying a XD-45 but it weights a ton!
The trigger is great and smooth. The CW series does not have the polygonal rifling or match grade barrel but the polygonal rifling like the Glock do not like lead bullets at all.
The gun also has NO TOOL MARKS at all. Its a keeper and the 40 cal had less recoil than my S&W 638. 5 rounds versus 7 and a faster reload time.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:06 PM   #50
los

I owned/carried a G26 for about 4 months in a holster considered by most to be the best IWB rig made. A Brommeland Max Con V. The G26 was reliable, accurate and ate almost everything I fed it. It's only fault [for me] was the weapon's girth. This is a chubby baby..!! I always had to dress around the weapon,..and I eventually got tired of this and sold it.

Here's a photo...

I recently purchased my first Taurus built gun. A PT709 Slim. Needeless to say, the 709 is much thinner and lighter than the G26. I took the calipers out and documented the following measurements on my 709. The Slide measures a width of .915 at the front and rear sight,.. and a little wider [.950] at the ejection port. The grip is .885 at the front and rear strap and slightly buldges to .905 in the center of the grip.

The 709 has performed flawlessly and is very accurate at CQB distances. It comes with adjustible (windage and elevation) rear sights. My Slim has eaten everything I've fed it, including the dreaded WWB ammo. It's recoil is extremely manageable and handles +P loads very well. It can be pocket carried in [my] cargo shorts and IWB without having to dress around it. It effortlessly conceals under a thin t-shirt.

The price is another selling point. I saw new 709's being offered at local show this past weekend for a tad under $340. I purchased mine at a gun store last month for $379.00.

Here's a few photos..

BTW, I have no opinion on the Kahr as I've never owned one.

Tags
ccw , easy carry , glock 26 , kahr cw9 , taurus 709 slim