The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1
dabigguns357

cop saves countless lives

Authorities: Woman stabs 4 in Calif. Target store

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – A woman who stabbed and wounded four people in a busy Target store Monday afternoon was arrested when an off-duty sheriff's deputy pulled his gun and ordered the woman to the ground as screaming shoppers ran from the building, authorities said.

Layla Trawick started randomly stabbing people with a blade about the size of a kitchen knife at about 12:45 p.m., Los Angeles sheriff's Sgt. Josh Mankini said. The 35-year-old Antioch woman was arrested with the help of private security guards and booked on suspicion of attempted murder.

Several shoppers who saw off-duty deputy Clay Grant pull out his weapon feared he was a gunman and began running and screaming, adding to the sense of panic, Mankini said.

"If he wasn't there, who knows? Someone would be dead right now," Mankini said. "He had no communication with outside law enforcement. He's just some guy doing his shopping. We're pretty proud of him."

Three women and a man were stabbed and taken to area hospitals, Mankini said. One of the victims was stabbed in the neck and shoulder.

Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Frederick Stowers said one victim was in critical condition. Authorities did not immediately know the conditions of the others.

Several shoppers who saw the deputy pull out his weapon feared he may be a gunman, adding to the sense of panic, Mankini said.

Mankini said Grant, a five-year veteran of the department, was authorized to have a weapon in the store.

It goes to show you no matter how close the cops are,they still aren't close enough.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Dwight55

You gotta know that if this had happened in NY, NY, . . . Wash. DC, . . . Chicago, . . . San Fran, . . . New Joisey, . . . it would probably been a blood bath.

What a blessing in California that an armed deputy just "happend" to be in the store, . . . otherwise, ................... don't even want to go there.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old May 3, 2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

If it had happend in Texas the 'victims' would have argued over who had dibs on the shot.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:41 PM   #4
pacerdude

Very lucky that the deputy was carrying while doing some off-duty shopping!
Old May 3, 2010, 10:09 PM   #5
indykappa

while i assume that LEOs are expected to exercise a little more restraint than civilians...how could this situation have turned out if a "regular joe" had intervened?

assuming that this exact scenario unfolded in a state that allowed CCW, would that civilian be within the "legal right" to fire on the person doing the stabbing?

i would assume so (LOTS of assuming going on here )
Old May 3, 2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, but there's a problem here bigguns. This is what we call a drive-by, i.e., the posting of a news article without a real point for discussion, especially in a tactics and training forum.

Sorry, but closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread