The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1
M14MSgt

newbie questions

I plan to purchase a single-stage kit (lock&load) from Hornady, but am confused on what accessories, if any, I need. This kit comes w/the Hornady lock&load powder measure, but I notice that there are some powder measure accessories offered, which are of course NOT included in the kit. Do I need the powder measure stand, mounting plate, bushing adapter, and extended drop tube?

Also, how do I know whether to get small or large pistol primers? I plan to reload 38LC, 45LC & 10mm in pistol...and .44-40 & .308 in rifle.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Shoney

M14MSgt

WELCOME TO TFL!

Read the "sticky" at the top of the reloading page "For the New Reloader"...

You need to get a few reloading manuals and read them cover to cover. Once you read them then come back with questions and the forum collectively will lavish you with information.
Quote:
how do I know whether to get small or large pistol primers? I plan to reload 38LC, 45LC & 10mm in pistol...and .44-40 & .308 in rifle.
This information is provided in the manuals in the sppecific recipes for each cartridge you load.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 2, 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
rdmallory

do yourself a favor

If you are planning or reloading that many different rounds go ahead and buy the turret press with changeable holders. Can still use it like a single stage but will save a lot of time setting up.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
M14MSgt

What's the best Turret Press? RCBS?
Old April 3, 2009, 12:34 PM   #5
M14MSgt

another question...will Lee Dies work in a RCBS turret press?
Old April 3, 2009, 01:02 PM   #6
mikld

Another good book to have on hand is a catalog from MidwayUSA. It will help you learn what is available and in what variations and interchangability.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:42 PM   #7
M14MSgt

I have the Midway catalog, but it doesn't tell me whether or not dies are interchangeable, and when you call them, they tell you to ask someone you know who reloads.