The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 27, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
flstfi

Reloading question

Case= 6mm Remington
Projectile= Hornady 75gr hp

Using an O.A.L guage and a comparter I determined the maximum overall length to minimize freebore travel. I then deducted .030 from that figure. I then made up a dummy round and chambered it. It went in smooth and there were no marks on brass or copper to indicate any contact.

However the new length does not work well for the magazine in my model 700 Remington.

Is This Normal?????????
Old April 28, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
frankt

I think so. I have some friends that shoot 500 and 1000 yard matches and they seat the bullets so far out to ,minimize jump, that their bolt actions will only function as a single shot rifle.

You may have to seat the bullet a little deeper if you want the magazine to function properly.
Old April 29, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
ClarkEMyers

It's normal for the 6mm/.244 Remington.

The 6mm is based on the same case as the 7X57, 8X57 etc. This case is a tad too long to fit short actions with the bullet seated out. Just the same the 6mm is often sold in short actions to match the .243 (which is a shorter case by design based on the case that eventually became the military 7.62X51) and to fit the image of a varmint/light game rifle.

The 6mm in a standard '06 length action will usually allow seating out. Notice that this short action negates whatever advantage the 6mm might otherwise claim for having a longer neck. Some people have been known to fiddle with magazine length and such but mostly folks tolerate this quirk of chambering the 6mm in the same short actions as the .243.