The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
GRAND MASTER WANNABE

HK P30L Jamming.... Why?

My Woman went out and bought a HK P30L, and it stove pipes every 2-4 rounds. Anyone know why?
Old September 7, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Creeper

Not much information to go by.

Have you shot it, have others shot it? Perhaps it's not being shot with a sufficiently firm hold.

What brand(s) of ammo?

C
Old September 7, 2012, 04:17 PM   #3
PSP

factory ammo or reloads?
Old September 7, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Bentonville

According to my personal experience with the P30 and a lot of reading about them before purchase, the springs are designed to be used with NATO powered rounds. If you get some Fiocchi and shoot a hundred rounds or so through it and maybe lock the slide back over night, I expect your problems will be remedied. That's how I solved the same problem with my P30 when they first came out. Try it anyway. Nothing to lose and Fiocchi is good ammo. Also, I learned to fill any new magazine and allow it to sit for a couple of days. Since doing that, I have never had a problem with any new manufacture magazine. Good luck.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Stove pipes are typically extractor-related. Be sure your extractor is clean, not chipped, etc.

Sometimes, not having a firm enough grip can lead to feeding-related problems, but I'm less sure about stovepiping.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
rock185

Grand, I don't have a P30L, but have Kimber, SIGs, Springfield, Glocks, FN/Brownings, S&W and other 9MMs. I would check the simplest thing first, ammo. What Bentonvllle said. I have used thousands of rounds of Winchester 124 grain NATO ammo. It does have a little more energy than some commercial American ammo and reliably cycles every 9MM pistol and carbine I own. Some 9MMs really do function most reliably with NATO, or equivalent, or +P, +P+, etc. The NATO reliably cycles the full sized 9MM 1911s, which many shooters report to have stove piping, erratic ejection, failure to lock back on empty, etc. I suspect the NATO, or similar more enerjetic ammo, just might eliminate the stove-piping issue...ymmv
Old September 7, 2012, 08:44 PM   #7
noorked

The p30 takes a couple of boxes to break in properly. would recommend using 124 grain or +p ammo for break in . The recoil springs are very stiff at first, likely causing the stove pipes.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Gunnut17

Quote:
Sometimes, not having a firm enough grip can lead to feeding-related problems, but I'm less sure about stovepiping.
It happened to me when I shot one, stopped when I got better at holding it.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Was the gun properly cleaned and lubricated prior to firing?
Old September 8, 2012, 02:46 AM   #10
IMightBeWrong

If it's really hanging up that much, send it in.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:49 AM   #11
GRAND MASTER WANNABE

Yeah, we were shooting remington UMC 115 grain standard loads.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
MLeake

Does it have this problem with all magazines, or just specific magazines?

Ammo, extractor, shooter's grip, and lube have already been mentioned.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:09 PM   #13
TunnelRat

I think we'd need a lot more info, or more frequent updates from the OP, to answer this fully.

In the interests of being talkative, I will say that I have heard of more issues with the P30L than the regular P30. It seems to require more breaking in than its smaller brother. Also, while the lighter 115 gr loads might be fine in the P30, with the added slide mass of the P30L you might get some issues. I'd try running some hotter stuff, maybe 124 gr NATO, to see if it still has those issues. Locking the slide back as was mentioned is another good idea. I'm not sure how many rounds you put through it in that session, and it might just need to be run some more. However, if you keep having issues don't be afraid to call and talk to HK.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 13, 2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Mystro

How different is the P30 compared to the USP Compact??? I have owned 3 USP Compacts and they will eat any crap ammo I fed it right out of the box.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:47 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
How different is the P30 compared to the USP Compact??? I have owned 3 USP Compacts and they will eat any crap ammo I fed it right out of the box.
You're hitting me in the kidney with that one. No it's true though. I honestly would say the USP line is bit more reliable out of box than the P series of pistols.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 13, 2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Strafer Gott

I'd definitely try some warmer ammo. I think the economical loads are dialed down too far to cycle new guns, with new springs. S&B seems to be the European Standard loading for 9mm. I haven't experienced any issues with .45 or .40, but those wwb and others ain't cutting it in 9mm, whereas S&B is running perfect, along with my mid-range reloads. This isn't about (known) gen 4 Glocks, but it holds true with many of them as well. Just a little more juice gets them back to perfection. I'm not ready to put Slick 50 on my rails, but I did get the goose grease out. They'll break in.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:15 PM   #17
fastbolt

Empty case "stovepipes", right? (Meaning not live-round stovepipes, which can be magazine related.)

I wouldn't find it at all surprising that a pistol which has a slightly longer & heaver slide (approx half an inch longer than the standard P30) might exhibit a little more sensitivity (or intolerance, if you'd prefer) to the dual influences of shooter grip stability and ammunition power levels.

Simply put, you're requiring the recoil forces to move a longer & heavier slide, and the shooter's grip technique and ammunition power levels have to be up to the task to enable the pistol to function within the necessary "timing" window for optimal feeding, extraction & ejection.

A smaller stature person with lesser experience, and a less stable & supportive grip technique (meaning unlocked wrist and less firm grip pressure during a critical part of the recoil impulse) ... shooting light bullet weight loads at the lower end of the power range (budget loads) ... might experience issues like this sooner than might other shooters. Hardly surprising.

Some attention to shooting stance (balance and weight distribution favoring more upper body support to resist movement during the recoil cycle) and wrist/grip technique, and the use of some different ammunition, might help resolve this issue.

Also, as the recoil spring begins to take its intended "set" it might help mitigate "sensitivity" to these shooter & ammo influences.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Mystro

Let me clarify,...I have owned 2 new USP Compacts. A 45 and 9mm. Both were so good and reliable, I bought my wife her own USP Compact 9mm because it was such a good gun. Out of the three USP guns, none of them has ever misfired in all the years of ownership. Even my re manufactured ammo ran smooth and that was several thousands of rounds between the three guns. I was just asking if H&K might have changed their basic design with the P30??
Old September 13, 2012, 03:51 PM   #19
Coltman 77

Quote:
Yeah, we were shooting remington UMC 115 grain standard loads.
That is very likely your problem and possibly limp wristing too.

Quote:
The p30 takes a couple of boxes to break in properly. would recommend using 124 grain or +p ammo for break in . The recoil springs are very stiff at first, likely causing the stove pipes.
This post is spot on. I put 200 rds of Winchester Q4318 Nato 124 gr. ammo and 50 rds of +p 124 gr. Gold Dot to break my P30 L in.

It devours any ammo I feed it now.

You've got the probably the finest production handgun in the world. Enjoy.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old September 13, 2012, 05:16 PM   #20
thedudeabides

P30L.

Big long gun (for a 9mm) with a big long, heavy slide, and a big, hard recoil spring.

You will need to cycle a few hundred rounds and try some 125gr NATO, +P, or 147gr subsonic.

Mine stovepiped a round or two initially and you could tell it wasn't able to cycle the slide all the way because the last round wouldn't lock the slide back.

This is normal. My brand new P30L and P30 did this.

Don't send it in because the next one will do the same.