The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 24, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Gary Slider

Time Running Out for Some to Get Utah Non Resident Permit/License.

Edited to remove incorrect info.

Their new requirements for Non Resident Permit/License are below. The Governor signed this new law yesterday. Remember you have to have a class from a Utah Certified Instructor. You can find info on how to apply at:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf or http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html
You can also find a listing of Utah Certified Instructors at both sites.

53-5-704.

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the
Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and

(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed
firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).

(b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau
under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10
years.

(c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are
received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.

(d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a
concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; March 24, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
sight-on

Let's hope HR 822 (National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill) goes through this time to make the issue moot! Here is the current status:

Occurred: Introduced Feb 18, 2011
Occurred: Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
Not Yet Occurred: Reported by Committee ...
Not Yet Occurred: House Vote ...
Not Yet Occurred: Senate Vote ...
Not Yet Occurred: Signed by President ...

This link is the site where you can track this bill thru Congress. Last action was Feb 28th.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-822
Old March 24, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Gary Slider

I have been told by a Utah Certified Instructor that those states that do not have reciprocity with Utah will still be Eligible for a permit/license from Utah. He stated he talked directly to Utah BCI. That only those states that have reciprocity with Utah must have a resident permit so those people can not get a Utah Permit and carry in their home state with it. I hope this is correct. I will contact BCI directly tomorrow to confirm. Those in states that do not honor a Utah Permit/License will still be eligible to apply.
Old March 29, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
DaveTrig

Gary's information is, fortunately, incorrect.

I am a Utah Concealed Firearm Instructor, and I have spoken to the Utah BCI about this matter.

The new law stipulates that ONLY residents of states which recognize the Utah CFP need to obtain their home-state permits prior to applying for a Utah CFP.

Residents of states that do not recognize the Utah CFP may continue to apply for and obtain a Utah CFP without first obtaining their home-state permit.

The new law does NOT prevent a resident of ANY state from applying for, and obtaining, a Utah CFP.

By the by, our next Utah CFP Class in Brewster, NY, will be Saturday, April 16th. Visit www.putnamshooters.com/main/utah for more details.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Gary Slider

DaveTrig, Time is running out for some. There are many out there that get the Utah Permit to carry in their home state. They don't have their home state permit. Now they will have to have one. I removed the incorrect info days ago. Yes everyone can still apply. OK and MO are two states that are getting the UT permit to carry in their home state.
Old April 6, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
DaveTrig

All well and good, but I've been fielding questions for weeks here in New York from potential applicants who were nervous about the new law. I simply wanted to make the facts absolutely clear for my fellow NY subjects.

I'm curious, (and seriously asking, so don't take this the wrong way) what's the big deal? I'm assuming that any state that recognizes the Utah CFP is a shall-issue state, so why wouldn't you get your home state permit?
Old April 6, 2011, 02:28 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm curious, (and seriously asking, so don't take this the wrong way) what's the big deal? I'm assuming that any state that recognizes the Utah CFP is a shall-issue state, so why wouldn't you get your home state permit?
Because people are lazy, and many find (found) Utah's permit easier to obtain.
Old April 6, 2011, 06:47 AM   #8
dps78

I live in Wisconsin which does not have CFP or any laws allowing you to carry a concealed firearm. Governor Walker is working on a law that allow us to obtain a CFP, with that said. Would a Utah CFP work for me if I were to go to another state or Utah even though Wisconsin does not have any such laws. I don't know a lot about these type of laws. I need to get better informed on such matters.

I did some research Minnesota recognize the Utah CFP. If I were to get a CFP from Minnesota would that be also work for the other 30 thirty states sense they recognize the Utah CFP. If not how does all this work with the other thirty states

Last edited by dps78; April 6, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old April 6, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Don H

dps78,

I'm not quite clear on exactly what you're asking. Since Wisconsin is not a state that recognizes Utah's permit, you may acquire a Utah permit without a WI permit or a permit from any other state. Some states choose not to recognize a non-resident permit, though, so a non-resident Utah permit will not be valid in as many states as a resident Utah permit.
Old April 6, 2011, 03:02 PM   #10
dps78

thanks don you answered my question fairly well and with some research i've been doing i think all my questions have been answered thanks again for your reply.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Don H

You are very welcome!