The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Haystack

Looking For Help With 44 Mag H110 Loading

I bought some Hornaday 240 gr swc, and can't find any load data for these with H110. I'm kind of new to reloading, and haven't really done any experimenting with anything that's not in a reloading book. Can I use the load data for 240 gr JHP? Based on what I have seen I was thinking of starting with 23 gr H110. Does this sound about right? I would like to use H110 because that's what I have on hand. The gun is a Super Blackhawk.

Thank You in advance for any help.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

Sounds like you're right on the money with that 23 grain load. Generally speaking you can use jacketed data with cast bullets.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Mike
Old April 1, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Dingoboyx

Fill 'em up with Trail Boss leave room for the projectile of course

Muzza
Old April 1, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

DANGER!

No. There is no safe load of H110 with those swaged lead SWC bullets. That is why you don't see one listed. You have to load those swaged lead bullets to lower pressures and velocities than jacketed bullets to avoid stripping them and leading your barrel heavily. They can also deform in the forcing cone in a way that actually causes higher pressure than a jacketed bullet does under some conditions. H110 has the funny property that it can't be loaded down much in a revolver without risk of squibbing out and sticking a bullet in the barrel. That's why you see the warning not to reduce it more than 3% on the Hodgdon site.

You will not want to try to push those lead SWC's beyond about 1000 fps. I recommend you get a can of Hodgdon Universal or IMR Trail Boss. Try around 8 grains of either. You can, as Dingoboyx says, simply fill the case level with the bottom of the bullet using Trail Boss. It is very clean burning and is for lead bullet use ONLY. Just perfect in this application.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 1, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: DANGER!
Old April 1, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5
AlaskaMike

Good catch Nick! Wow, I feel really stupid now--I saw "Hornady 240 gr. SWC" and automatically thought "cast 240 gr. SWC", but Hornady only makes soft swaged SWCs.

My sincere apologies. I fully agree those would be great with Trail Boss.

Mike
Old April 1, 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Haystack

I do have a little Unique left. Would this be better to use? If so, how much? These Hornadays aren't in either of my books.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Primevalpapa

What Unclenick said.....
That 23gr of H110 would be about 1300fps load with a jacketed bullet which is way to fast for swaged lead.

I tend to use Red Dot for this purpose but the powder selection is only because of the shotgun shells that I also load. 6.5gr of Red Dot or Promo gets about a 900fps plinker that is great for practice. Very economical.

Save that H110 for the hard cast/jacketed rounds or your 410 shotgun.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Primevalpapa

The Hornady book I have shows a 240gr SWC with 6.6gr Unique; WLP primer at about 900fps but.........

You really need to cross check all numbers given on any website with a reloading manual yourself. We all have seen incorrect info, typos etc.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:36 PM   #9
AlaskaMike

Quote:
You really need to cross check all numbers given on any website with a reloading manual yourself. We all have seen incorrect info, typos etc.
That's not limited to websites--I have a couple manuals that contain typos in the load info. Rare, but it happens.

Mike