The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 1999, 05:39 PM   #1
CRASH36

I have just purchased some new 255g 45LC Cowboy lead bullets to load for my blackhawk. I have never loaded "lead" bullets before, and Hornady seems to not want to give out any "free" info on this stuff.
I have a few questions about lead bullet loading if someone has some time to help
#1 Do you load lead bullets the same as you do with Jacketed bullets?, Do the lead bullets require some sort of a "wad" between the bullet and the powder?
#2 What is a "Gas Check", and do i need one?
#3 Do you have any loading info reguarding these 255g lead bullets that will work with standard powders like Unique or Blue Dot?
Any help would be great!, Thanks CRASH36
Old August 31, 1999, 07:01 PM   #2
swifter...

You might want to bell the case mouth a tad more, otherwise its about the same. No wad is needed, and could even be dangerous.
Gas checks are little copper caps that fit to the base of a bullet. Generally, the bullet is cast in a "gas check" mould.
i use both Unique and BlueDot in my .45LC. Check the manual, you should find a bullet about that weight, jacketed or not, lead has a greater lubricity and you should'nt have any trouble.
8 Gr Unique is nice and mild.
12 gr Blue Dot is at the bottom of the "RUGER & TC" loads.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old September 1, 1999, 06:29 AM   #3
CRASH36

Thanks for the help SWifter, Im gonna try and load a few "Mild to start" shells today. I assume that because you didnt expand on the "gas Check" question, That means i do not need them. Ill let ya know how they turn out. CRASH#^

------------------
The secret to life is very simple; You get back what you put in, And people get what they deserve.

[This message has been edited by CRASH36 (edited September 01, 1999).]
Old September 1, 1999, 09:17 AM   #4
Quantrill

I believe that gas checks [GC] are not permitted in SASS shoots, just plain base bullets. I have found that "gas check" bullets can be shot without the gas check with acceptable results, but plain base bullets normally can't have GC's put on them although you could mount them upside down I suppose. Quantrill
Old September 1, 1999, 11:16 AM   #5
JoeHatley

CRASH36,

Here ya go:
http://reloading.atk.com/interactive...cfm?nGunType=4

Or go to: www.alliantpowder.com and then navigate to the reloading/cowboy section.

Good luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA