The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1
recarga

38 super reload Question

Hello

Finally my quest has finish and found a new 38 super ( colt government )

Does any one reload for this cal and would share any info on what you found worked best
For your gun.
I know I have to find what mine likes but I'm still not sure on the .355" and .357"

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old April 26, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Hammerhead

The traditional bullet diameter for the Super is .356" but modern barrels are usually 9mm (.355"). Don't use .357" jacketed bullets without expert help. (.357" lead should be fine)

38super.net

Last edited by Hammerhead; April 26, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 26, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
SatCong

recarga,

I shoot and reload Super 38.

My current recipe uses 130 grain (.356) Winchester ball bullets over 8.7 grains of Blue Dot powder, with WSP primers. I have yet to chrono this load.

i will also be experimenting with Bullseye and Power Pistol powders, as the Blue Dot doesn't always meter consistently so I weigh my throws every ten, or so. Variations of .1 to .2 grains through a thru-die lee pro measure are not uncommon.
The Blue-Dot does perform (burn) cleanly and consistently, however.

Mike
Old April 26, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
dickttx

Been working on 38 Super loads for a few weeks. Using .355 jacketed bullets and Lee 4 die sets the bullets will push down into the case with very little effort. Using .356 jacketed bullets (both Precision Delta) no problems.
I have been trying to develop a load using MBC lead IDPA #6 bullets and am getting lead in the CHAMBER (not the lands and grooves.) After about 30 rounds a cartridge will not load into the chamber.
From forum suggestions I ran my sized case into my 9mm sizer about 3/8". The 355's had sufficient neck tension then.
So far I have been working on these problems and have not been looking at accuracy yet. I would really like to come up with a usable load with the lead bullets.
I would be very interested in other's results.
Old April 26, 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
CherokeeT

I started loading Super 38 back in late 70's and have several. All of my barrels are .355 so I use .355 9mm jacketed bullets and .356 cast bullets. I have also used .356 and .357 jacketed bullets with good reults. For high performance, I like Bluedot but HS6, AA7 and AA9 also perform well. The newer Power Pistol also works in the limited testing I have done with it. For light to medium loads, I like 231. My favorite jacketed bullets are Hornady 124 FMJFN and 124 XTP. I cast my own lead alloy bullets favoring the 122 gr TC style. Great cartridge, good performer. Enjoy your new Colt.
Old April 27, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
brickeyee

Order a back issue of Handloader magazine for .38 Super loads.

The regular loading manuals are far lower than the original .38 Super loads, as are the commercial loads.

Excessive numbers of weenies with .38 ACPs is an oft cited reason.