The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Dave1911

Youth Shotgun Question, 20 Gauge Rifled Barrel for Slugs Worth It

I am looking to get my son a Mossberg 500 Bantam for pheasant hunting. I see that for about $75-100 more I can get a second barrel that is a 24" rifled barrel with rifle open sights. Is it worth the extra coin for the ability to shoot sabot slugs from a rifled barrel vs shooting rifled slugs thru a smooth bore? I see the sabot slugs are expensive. This would be for elk or white tale at a later date as we are starting with birds.

In short, the only thing we "need" is a bird gun in the short term. Just trying to determine if for an extra $100, we could get something useful for deer or elk next year. Thanks
Old September 28, 2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Kframe

What range are you thinking the deer or elk may be at?
Rifled slugs are pretty accurate out to about 75 yards (10" kill zone); in the Midwest that is a long shot in the woods, out West that's almost point blank.
Old September 28, 2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Bake

Will your son out grows the Bantam, before he's ready for the slug barrel? I assume the barrel could be used on the full size Mossberg 500, so I would say, "Yes".
Old September 29, 2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Blindstitch

I don't know about the Bantam but I have a mossberg 500 super bantam and the slug barrel isn't rifled at all. Kind of annoying but the sights on the slug barrel look great.

Also one of the shotguns mossberg sells comes with a 1/2 off coupon to buy an adult butt stock to replace the youth when it's outgrown.

Plus if you don't go that way Numrich also sells stocks for about $20.

Not saying you would want to but i'm 6 foot tall and I took my wives super bantam out trap shooting. Sure it was short since she is 5 foot tall and has the shortest length of pull at I think 12 inches but I shot more than enough clay pigeons out of the sky.
Old September 29, 2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Blindstitch

Blake,
The receiver of the bamtam and standard mossberg 500 20 gauge are the same part. The difference is all in the stock. The youth stocks have shorter length of pull and the forend extends more to the rear so kids and fully pump the action.
Old September 29, 2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Pahoo

Depends ??

Quote:
In short, the only thing we "need" is a bird gun in the short term. Just trying to determine if for an extra $100, we could get something useful for deer or elk next year. Thanks
A couple of factors, to consider and it's you call.
Is the money a real factor?
If not then because you live in Colorado, I'd say; YES.
Now, if you live in the Midwest like, Kframe
I'd say, pass for now.

I also live in the Midwest and can appreciate where Kframe is coming from. I have shot most of my deer with smooth bores in the 15 to 60yd. range. . ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 29, 2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Good question.
To spend $100 for a barrel or save it for a future deer/elk rifle.

The one advantage besides maybe rifling that the mossberg barrel offers is the fine williams sight.

I almost wonder how many of these extra barrels get lost in closets and never get used. I doubt the smooth slug barrel I have will ever get used. Especially since Wisconsin finally got rid of most that shotgun zone stuff.
Old September 29, 2014, 04:47 PM   #8
Blindstitch

To add to what Pahoo has said.

I'm originally from Northern Michigan and I have taken two deer with the mossberg 500 20 gauge smooth bore and at 7 and 15 yards I didn't see a reason for rifling.
Old September 29, 2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Dave1911

Thanks guys for all the dialogue. I think we are going to pass on the second barrel and save the money for a real elk gun at a later time. After talking it over with some of my friends who have hunted in the west with kids, I think he and I will stick to birds at first and progress to elk at a later time at which point it will be a great excuse to buy another gun.