The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2001, 12:16 PM   #1
GGGLOCK

I thought some might be interested in this:

I've been told, and read on several boards, that it wasn't a good idea to shoot slugs through the Modified choke on an M1S90.

I decided to test this for myself at a recent shotgun class. I installed the Modified choke and shot about 75 rounds of Federal Low Recoil slugs over the course of four days. (In addition we also shot about 150 rds. of 00 buck, and 275 rounds of birdshot).

At the start of each day, I tightened the choke as far as it would go. I rechecked tightness at the middle and end of each day.

I'm happy to report that the choke did not loosen at all during the four days. Also, I did not notice any degradation in my shot patterns after shooting slugs. Slug accuracy, compared to the IC choke, was on par as well.

Given that this combo patterns as well as (in some cases better than) the Vang systems I've seen, I think I'll leave the Modified choke in. I realize that this wasn't a very extensive test, but I'm satisfied with the results, and replacement chokes are only around $15.
Old May 29, 2001, 12:06 PM   #2
NAD

If you are using thin walled choke tubes it's not a good idea to use Modified with slugs. A rifled slug is more constricted going through a modified choke and will eventually cause your barrel to crack at the muzzle end.

I wanted chokes on my pre-ban M1S90 cylinder bore barrel. I had to use thin walled tubes because the diameter of the muzzle wasn't large enough for standard tubes. I was told not to use anything less than IC for slugs due to the thin metal remaining at the muzzle.

Do a search on shotgun slugs. I think most people recommend IC for slugs anyway.
Old May 29, 2001, 04:32 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IME, Modified is the borderline choke for slugs. Some Modifieds give great groups with a slug of choice, some do not.

Almost all chokes more open than Modified do slugs better than those tighter than Modified, but there's exceptions.

I would check with the maker just to make sure, but chances are no damage will result from using that choke.

Just for my information, how do buck patterns compare with those two chokes?
Old May 29, 2001, 08:58 PM   #4
GGGLOCK

Nad,

I had read that nothing tighter than IC should be used for slugs, but never saw a reason why. So, I thought I'd try it, as I've also heard those that have tried it had good luck. I'll keep a close eye out for barrel stress...thanks for the info. Given the immense improvement in my buckshot patterns, and the fact that > 95% of my shooting is with buck and birdshot, I think it's good tradeoff.

Dave,

I hope to get out soon to pattern my gun with the IC choke and Estate SWAT load. I'll post my results. My Modified Choke / Estate SWAT patterns can be seen at the end of this thread.
Old May 30, 2001, 04:05 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good results, I'm impressed. I would like to see how the IC holds compared to this.

Thanks...