The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Koda94

CCW cover blown by the law...

I'm curious to what others think about a specific scenario while carrying concealed around co-workers or business clients when out to lunch or other business duties out of the office, or with even friends/family while out and about....

The specific scenario is if you get pulled over, and your with co-workers or clients, friends etc. In some states your required to tell the officer if your carrying. In others, they may or may not ask. In any event, you really do not want to disclose.

before you begin, follow the law. I'm not saying to lie or break any laws. This is just more of a curiosity to what others in the CCW community think about this situation. My concern is the law requires us to keep it concealed for a reason, so why should the law blow my cover in this situation?

is there a good way to handle this?
Old January 6, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Webleymkv

A lot depends on the specific circumstances and state law. Here in Indiana, we are not legally required to keep or guns concealed (Indiana law makes no distiction between open or concealed carry, a License to Carry a Handgun is required for either) and we do not have a duty to inform at traffic stops. Indiana law also prohibits, with a very few exceptions, employers from banning employees keeping firearms in their locked vehicles.

My personal policy regarding traffic stops is to not inform unless the officer directly asks me or there is a good chance that the gun's presence will become known. I've only been directly asked if I have firearms/weapons in the vehicle during a traffic stop twice and indirectly asked once ("do you have anything I should know about?") so it's usually a non-issue for me. Likewise, I rarely have anyone in the vehicle with me who doesn't already know that I carry or would be alarmed/upset to learn so.

For the sake of argument, however, I would simply inform the officer if directly asked about weapons in the vehicle. My safety and honesty when interacting with an officer of the law is much more important to me than the personal feelings of a passenger in my vehicle. If someone is unwilling to accept the fact that I lawfully carry a concealed firearm, then I don't much care to have them riding with me anyway.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
gwnorth

How about merely driving in such a manner you don't get pulled over in the first place? In my 35 years of driving I have been pulled over exactly once (rolling through a stop sign in a tiny sleepy little Texas town). I honestly never really even think about it let alone actually worry about it.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Koda94

Quote:
How about merely driving in such a manner you don't get pulled over in the first place?
absolutely

I was riding with a friend once who got pulled over for having a headlight out. It can happen.

Quote:
My safety and honesty when interacting with an officer of the law is much more important to me than the personal feelings of a passenger in my vehicle.
absolutely

ultimately this is the best response. But there are times like I mentioned when I am with company that I'd rather not disclose.

over the years the few times I have been pulled over I have only been asked once. Its not a huge concern of mine, but the one time I was pulled over was when I was giving a co-worker a ride to work. I wasn't carrying but still and regardless. I generally do not disclose my personal safety measures with co-workers and don't think it wise to let that out in the open.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:34 PM   #5
royal barnes

gwnorth, I'm surprised you haven't encountered a traffic check in N.C. It's one of our favorite passtimes.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

In Ohio you are required to tell law enforcement that you have a CHP and if you are carrying. They know when they run your licence plate that you have a concealed handgun permit but you are still required to notify them anyway..
Old January 6, 2013, 04:45 PM   #7
BrokenBottles

I was told that when you're pulled over to hand over your license, you should hand them your permit as well if you are carrying a weapon on you.

I feel like if I was with clients or people I was trying to impress/do business with, getting pulled over would have already blown any chance so the fact that I have a weapon would be a non-issue.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Skadoosh

If you are going to carry, then prepare to deal with your companion's reactions if it comes to that.

If you can not deal with that possibility, then don't carry.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Yes, follow the legal requirements of your state. If you are not prepared to do that you shouldn't be carrying a CCW.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
The law does not require you to carry at all.

My suggestion would be to not drive in such a way as to get yourself pulled over when carrying guests as passengers in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyMKV
My personal policy regarding traffic stops is to not inform unless the officer directly asks me or there is a good chance that the gun's presence will become known.
But some states DO require that you notify, and that's what he's asking about. (I think.)

Quote:
ultimately this is the best response. But there are times like I mentioned when I am with company that I'd rather not disclose.

over the years the few times I have been pulled over I have only been asked once. Its not a huge concern of mine, but the one time I was pulled over was when I was giving a co-worker a ride to work. I wasn't carrying but still and regardless. I generally do not disclose my personal safety measures with co-workers and don't think it wise to let that out in the open.
Your profile just says you are in the Pacific Northwest. Would that be Washington, or Oregon? Does your state require you to notify? If not ... what's the problem? If it's not required and you don't wish to do so ... don't do so.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
psychohellbilly666

I can only offer what I do. I'm not worried if people know I carry. People who know me know I'm very pro gun. Therefore that's not an issue.
If I get pulled over, which I do being I have a heavy foot, I've found it best and beneficial to alert the officer for mine and his safety. Usually I do this by handing my permit. It typically results in just a warning out of gratitude.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Koda

I only carry friends and trusted colleagues in my car, all of whom know I carry.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:59 PM   #13
Ken - Oh

For the smart alec "don't get pulled over in the first place", well sometimes it's not your fault or choice, like when a senile 85 year old woman pulled out of a parking lot in front of us.

But yes, I try to avoid such situations.

As already mentioned, in Ohio it's not optional, we are required to inform.

We are NOT required to keep it concealed however.
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old January 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #14
CraigJS

"For the smart alec "don't get pulled over in the first place", well sometimes it's not your fault or choice, like when a senile 85 year old woman pulled out of a parking lot in front of us."

Ken-Oh, Why would this alone cause you to get pulled over.. Or did I miss something? If you're legal so what?
Old January 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Frank Ettin
Staff

It's real simple. You follow the law. You deal with any social consequences later.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 6, 2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Vermonter

Abide By The Law

It is really just this simple.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Warrior1256

In my state when the officer runs my license the come back will inform him that I have a carry permit. Therefore I will tell him upon his initial approach whether I am armed or not. If my friends don't like it, tough.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Koda94

Quote:
It's real simple. You follow the law. You deal with any social consequences later.
yes, I stated that in my OP. But I like that you added to deal with the social consequences later, true.

I guess my post doesn't really have an answer other than that. I had some time over coffee this morning and threw some random questions out here. I am, and always have been prepared to deal with the social consequences in a unique situation like this. I just thought I would see what others thought about this, forums are a great way to gather opinions from the community at large. I don't have even a handful of friends that CCW (only 1 other), so for those of you here getting to know me on this forum that might be an indicator on some of my posts. Once again, I want to reiterate I stated in my OP that you follow the law. My question was "is there a good way to handle this?" not what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda
I only carry friends and trusted colleagues in my car, all of whom know I carry.
you are very fortunate to have friends and colleagues that are all pro gun. And you beat me to my usual forum handle, I had to add a number to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Your profile just says you are in the Pacific Northwest. Would that be Washington, or Oregon? Does your state require you to notify? If not ... what's the problem? If it's not required and you don't wish to do so ... don't do so.
... I live in Oregon, my state does not require me to notify... although I understand its the better thing to do. Scroll down to where I mentioned I was asked with a passenger riding with me..

ALL:
FWIW, I have a spotless driving record. So please, no more comments about myself driving properly, you obviously have never been pulled over for something random or ridiculous and never speed. The last time I was pulled over was because I had a crack in my windshield and the officer wanted to make certain it didn't impair my field of view... really. no ticket. He was really cool.... and didn't ask if I had my gun, though I know he knew.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:56 PM   #19
cryogenic419

In Ohio we are required to notify LE immediately. If you are driving your vehicle they should know this when they run your plate prior to actually pulling you over. I was actually pulled over once and when I informed him he was actually surprised as nothing had come up.

I figure anybody that is with me in my vehicle knows I carry so there are no worries on that front.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:59 PM   #20
Glockstar .40

koda i believe ive seen in other posts that you said you live in oregon. if thats the case there is NO current law that says you have to let an officer know your carrying if you get pulled over . although it may look to be a goodwill gesture to the officer if you do.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:08 PM   #21
Koda94

Quote:
I figure anybody that is with me in my vehicle knows I carry so there are no worries on that front.
that sentiment seems to resonate through this thread (and maybe this forum). I cannot reiterate how blessed you are for having all friends and or community so pro gun. You are very fortunate. I do not have this luxury in my community, and certainly not in the professional world where often lunches with co-workers are common.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #22
Lost Sheep

ANYONE can get pulled over

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnorth
How about merely driving in such a manner you don't get pulled over in the first place? In my 35 years of driving I have been pulled over exactly once (rolling through a stop sign in a tiny sleepy little Texas town). I honestly never really even think about it let alone actually worry about it.
I was pulled over because my car matched the description of one being driven by someone wanted. The officer approached me with his hand poised over his sidearm. He relaxed when he saw I did not match the physical description of the person.

He was courteous enough to give me a short explain of the backstory and let me go on my way.

Anyone can have an interaction with the police with or without influence over the cause.

Lost Sheep
Old January 6, 2013, 08:19 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
... I live in Oregon, my state does not require me to notify... although I understand its the better thing to do. Scroll down to where I mentioned I was asked with a passenger riding with me..
I understood that your question dealt with being pulled over when you have a passenger ... one who doesn't know you carry and whom you might not wish to inform that you carry.

So, if your state doesn't require that you inform an officer that you are carrying, don't inform. You write that you "understand its (sic) the better thing to do," but my response to that statement is, "Says who?" WHY is it better? Especially, why would it be better if it would be "socially" inconvenient for your passenger/client to find out that you're packin' heat?
Old January 6, 2013, 08:20 PM   #24
Shadow7d

In my state there are two things with the must inform
you must ask for informed consent before you enter someones home (pursuant to statue I must inform you that I am presently armed, may I enter...)

and inform LE when you have 'official contact' with them...

so yeah, a few friends know I carry, and I know a few of them do too.
Other, well, you have to decide what is more important, and yeah, I leave it in the car rather than have that conversation

FUNNY is the number who are actively supportive.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:34 PM   #25
CurlyQ.Howard

gwnorth,
Wow! Thirty-five whole years!