The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 27, 2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Sport45

Quote:
Use lacquer thinner ONLY if the vehicle paint is Basecoat/ Clearcoat. A single stage auto paint (as on older cars) both lacquer and enamel will be damaged.
Permanent markers are alcohol based. Use rubbing alcohol or even something like Vodka or Gin to wipe it off.

What did the police have to say when they were there about the obvious vandalism?
Old October 28, 2012, 12:03 AM   #27
medalguy

My experience has been interesting. Several years ago I went by the local BLM office to inquire about shooting on BLM land near where I live. I wanted to be sure htere were no restrictions of any kind on the area where I wanted to shoot.

I spoke to one of the enforcement rangers, and she very courteously told me that that was "my" land, and I could do whatever I wanted, as long as I was safe and didn't endanger anyone else. She even took time to pull down a map and show me several good places where others shoot, and said to have fun.

Fast forward a couple of years. I was out with my wife and another couple shooting, and another enforcement ranger pulled up to where we were shooting to see what we were doing. He looked at our guns and commented on them, compared my Beretta to his pistol, and said have a nice day. He also gave us several trash bags and asked us to pick up our trash when we left. We already had one of our own bags filled up and showed that to him, and he thanked us for the clean-up detail.

That's the way encounters with LEOs should go. Very professional and courteous.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:53 AM   #28
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I'd go shooting again if i were you and set a trail cam looking at the vehicles and try and catch them in the act.
agree.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:42 AM   #29
Patriot86

Quote:
I've had some frustrating experiences on public land here in Michigan... And being 25 myself i always get rolling eyes and condescending looks at the local clubs from the old hats...So I hear you brother.
I feel your pain on both accounts. I am only 26 and I feel very out of place in the couple of shooting clubs I have checked out; maybe in another 10 or 15 years I will fit right in with the other OFWG's but till then.

In regards to shooting, count yourselves lucky that MI is a bit more gun friendly than over in the Northern IL/Southern WI area.
I get harassed even when shooting on private land, my family has some property up in Wisconsin. Too many Urban transplants around who cannot wrap their heads around lawful shooting. So about every other time or so when I shoot the cops show up. Its a pretty small police force so they don't even come bug me anymore. I usually just see the cops talking to whoever called.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:19 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

Try going to a gun club when you REALLY do not have any experience. I went to a couple before I found one where a few people were willing to help me instead of rolling their eyes.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #31
Hiker 1

I shoot on public land all the time. I also have a "leave no trace" policy for myself and whomever I'm shooting with.

Brass, soda cans, shot-up targets, perforated living trees - all of that stuff can have as much of an effect on policy change as the gunfire itself.

I did have an encounter once when I was getting out of my 4x4 at the same time the county search & rescue team was getting ready to launch a training exercise. One of the team members tried to tell me that we couldn't shoot in the area (he was non-LEO). I said "you want to bet?". His jaw dropped. Pretty funny. Then I asked the team leader which way they were going and I said we'd go in the other direction. Problem solved.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:58 AM   #32
Webleymkv

It seems to me that if you were unwittingly disturbing someone's hunt, it would have been far more productive for them to simply ask you politely if you would mind moving your shooting to another area rather than call the police for no good reason and vandalize your vehicle.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:05 AM   #33
bird_dog

I think there should be a 3 day minimum waiting period before purchasing Sharpies.
Old November 3, 2012, 06:37 AM   #34
chadio

Quote:
I think there should be a 3 day minimum waiting period before purchasing Sharpies.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:18 AM   #35
treg

City people generally think that game flees to the next county every time they hear a gun shot. If that were the case they'd never stop running.

Some people need to spend more time in the woods................................ on second thought, nevermind.

Last edited by treg; November 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:34 AM   #36
vandyatc

Ok, it's going to be perfectly clear after this question that I am a city boy now (grew up on the farm, but never went back).

What do you mean "public land where you can shoot?" I understand shooting parks and whatnot, but where can you go shoot that is not private land? How can you find non-public property?

I know that sounds like a ridiculous question, but I can't understand what you are talking about "public land." I can't imagine a place where you can shoot that is not private land. At least not without being arrested.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:18 AM   #37
Ricklin

Stupid laws

Suppressor, moderator, silencer call them what you will. Imagine if our legislators were enlightened enough to recognize these devices are all about being polite.

I don't know that any of us enjoy the noise our firearms make. One can buy a suppressor over the counter in some European countries.

It's time to make these devices as easy to buy as the guns we install them on.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:44 AM   #38
Ben Towe

Vandyatc, I see you are in Louisville so the closest public land to you is probably Daniel Boone National Forest. They actually have four designated ranges that are open to the public year round. Some state and federal land just allows you to shoot wherever you wish, particularly in the West (Daniel Boone may also allow this, I see no rule prohibiting it, and you can hunt there).
Old November 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #39
g20gunny

I have had a similar event happen with a local nutjob. We were shooting on private property with full permission, after about a half hour of blasting a guy shows up honking his horn and swearing at us. As we got closer to him he sprayed our cars with gravel as he tore off with his truck and then turned around and tried to hit us with his truck. When the authorities asked what he was flipping out about he said that he was afraid that we'd scare his horses... yet the truck he was hotrodding was louder than our gunfire.

I don't know what goes through these people's minds when they confront people they don't know that have guns. What if you were some crazy with a gun and you walked out of the woods to see some hippie writing on your car with a marker? Do these people have no common sense?

I'd do the gamecam thing and go shoot to your hearts content and if it happens again let the judge settle it. I'm sure after paying for your new paintjob they'd think twice before vandalising someones car again.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old November 3, 2012, 10:45 AM   #40
5.56RifleGuy

Deleted

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; November 3, 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added nothing to the discussion
Old November 3, 2012, 12:46 PM   #41
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyatc View Post
it's going to be perfectly clear after this question that I am a city boy now
- Abundantly clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingWhitetail91 View Post
I'd go shooting again if i were you and set a trail cam looking at the vehicles and try and catch them in the act.
- So they pay for new paint...then what? Next time they'll be smart enough to wear a hoodie or something. Bold enough to F with guys vehicles who are shooting "hundreds" of rounds, but not enough to do it again? Doubt it.

What you need to do is get a ghillie suit and have one guy stay behind with a 2-way, wait for the D bag...then open a good old fashioned can of Whoop a$$. Nothing says "don't mess with my truck" better than a whoopin. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
I'm 28 and my two buddies are 25, adults by law but some people at work still call me a kid, lol.
I'm 27 turning 28 this month (oh man), and I get the same kind of crap. They judge a book by it's cover. Yeah, I'm not exactly my fighting weight right now...but I'll still out shoot any ignorant old bastard who makes that mistake. They don't have a clue what's on my resume. I do. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker 1 View Post
I shoot on public land all the time. I also have a "leave no trace" policy for myself and whomever I'm shooting with.

Brass, soda cans, shot-up targets, perforated living trees - all of that stuff can have as much of an effect on policy change as the gunfire itself.
- That's the biggest problem where I shoot. It's "public" land...lol. And over time they have come in and put up signs, warnings, etc...and brass isn't even a problem there, a couple local country boys come in once or twice a week and collect it all. Just D bags leaving trash.

I'm a firm believer in cleaning up anything you brought in, you take out. "Pack it in, Pack it out". I was in Scouting in my younger years and learned a lot of respect for my surroundings. EVERY camping trip we took, the last thing we would do after packing all the gear out and loading in the trucks...was police the area. Anything that didn't belong, came with us. Same thing when we hiked in just minus the trucks. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post

I don't know that any of us enjoy the noise our firearms make. One can buy a suppressor over the counter in some European countries.

It's time to make these devices as easy to buy as the guns we install them on.
Are they not legal in your state? Or are you just meaning the hoops we have to jump through to get one? I'll be getting one for my .22 in January and possibly my .45.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:54 PM   #42
Rampant_Colt

Sorry, this thread reminded me of this:

Old November 3, 2012, 01:10 PM   #43
wogpotter

Unfortunately there's always a lunatic fringe that will feel justified in doing anything they feel like "because they're right". Add a dash of wilfull ignorance & it gets worse.

I've had the police called while I was shooting a bolt action rifle on a private range. It was another member of the club who only shots skeet, trap & sporting clays.
His reason?
I was "Shooting an army machine gun, just like the Garand he had in the war" How did he know? "Because the wood went all the way to the end, just like a Garand machine gun"

I've had the police called because I was "shooting a machine gun which is illegal' when I was doing sighting in of new optics on a FN-FAL, because such guns "should be banned so I dont have to give up hunting"! The police checked it out & it was a perfectly legal semi-automatic rifle & I wasn't doing rapid fire. The complainant "Knew it was a machine gun because of the 'thing on the end of the barel' because only machine guns have them".

I've been threatened at a gas station on a public street because after chasing me from the location (a private piece of land where we were shooting responsibly) he got frustrated when we didn't pull over.
We called the police, had to go 40 miles to the local station to file a complaint. It was one of "several dozen" filed against him for similar events. They "Hoped this time something would happen so they didn't have to bother with him & waste time repeatedly"

I now avoid hunting season & public ranges during the weeks prior as it seems that the percentage of galloping lunatics at the range increases sharply during that time.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; November 3, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:37 AM   #44
MarkDozier

WOW to the WOW Factor. I am truely blessed to be were I am as far as ranges go. I guess I an sort of close to ole farts, I am 54.
Why am i blessed. We love people of ALL AGES to shoot at our range. We strongly encourage youth and young people to get to shooting. Friendly folks, lots of neat guns to drool about.
One thing I noticed is some younger men seem to try to be mucho man, of course most of that goes away when they get a couple of shooting tips and suddenly they are shooting better and really having fun. Thats OK, As long as they are SAFE. On my range SAFETY is rule one. Everything else can be worked with.
If you ever get to Washington come see what I am talking about.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:44 AM   #45
ljnowell

Quote:
WOW to the WOW Factor. I am truely blessed to be were I am as far as ranges go. I guess I an sort of close to ole farts, I am 54.
Why am i blessed. We love people of ALL AGES to shoot at our range. We strongly encourage youth and young people to get to shooting. Friendly folks, lots of neat guns to drool about.
One thing I noticed is some younger men seem to try to be mucho man, of course most of that goes away when they get a couple of shooting tips and suddenly they are shooting better and really having fun. Thats OK, As long as they are SAFE. On my range SAFETY is rule one. Everything else can be worked with.
Describes my club for the most part. I routinely spend more than half my time talking to guys that are 30-40 years older than me, and I am not that young myself. Sometimes my wife laughs because I hang out with those guys way more than people my own age. We have similar interests though, and thats what matters.
Old November 4, 2012, 04:06 AM   #46
alex0535

I had a neighbor start yelling through the woods at me for shooting in my front yard. I was shooting my .17 HMR which is loud but it isn't a cannon, probably about 30 rounds or so that day.

Anyway, the guy started threatening to "call the law". I reply by yelling something about my 2nd amendment rights. After a bit of back and forth I yell back that he wouldn't have to call them because I would.

So I called the police station and briefly explained the situation. They told me they would send an officer out to talk with me. Officer showed up, and told me that on my own property I can shoot any gun I wish as long as I am not being unsafe about it. Officer was completely on my side, and I haven't had any more neighbors yelling across the woods about it.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:22 AM   #47
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDozier View Post
Spokane or Seattle area?
Old November 6, 2012, 12:19 AM   #48
KyJim

Quote:
Ok, it's going to be perfectly clear after this question that I am a city boy now (grew up on the farm, but never went back).

What do you mean "public land where you can shoot?" I understand shooting parks and whatnot, but where can you go shoot that is not private land? How can you find non-public property?

I know that sounds like a ridiculous question, but I can't understand what you are talking about "public land." I can't imagine a place where you can shoot that is not private land. At least not without being arrested.
In Kentucky, a couple of the bigger areas:

1. The Daniel Boone National Forest where shooting would be allowed just about anywhere (there are a couple of public ranges).

2. I think it is allowed in most areas of The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. I would call and double check on any restrictions there.

3. Check out a list of Kentucky state forests.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:18 AM   #49
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mm Mauser
I've had some frustrating experiences on public land here in Michigan... And being 25 myself i always get rolling eyes and condescending looks at the local clubs from the old hats...So I hear you brother.
I know the feeling. I like to shoot at my WMA where Pops took me shooting "big bores" for the first time, and I now go by myself when hom on vacation.

I regret it to this day, but the day after my 17th birthday when I enlisted, I slapped a "U.S. Army" patch on my range bag and that has lead to no end of generally negative interactions at said WMA.

"Did you shoot any terrorists?'[Really dude? Just pushes some RC cans around here]
"The M-4 sucks...blah...blah....plastic sissy gun." [I do not own any sort of AR-]
"You may be in th Army but my groups is tighter." [Really genius? You're shooting a Marlin .22 and I'm patterning my turkey gun]

The fact that I'm 24 and look about 20 doesn't help, nor does the fact that I generally look for like a frat boy than a soldier.
Old November 6, 2012, 03:16 PM   #50
langenc

Coiped from above-shooter from KY..

Here in this state much of the Northern part is STATE and Federal land-mostly state. That means that it is PUBLIC, No it is not a park.

60% of this county and next county over is STATE land. We wish the residents of the lower counties would ante up and pay fair taxes. State land pays SWAMP tax to the local govts (countie/maybe townships) 10 CENTS/acre.

State land can be used for just about anything outdoors related, camping, shooting, hiking, berry picking, snowmobiling etc etc...

Abuse YES. Here today-gone tomorrow but please take your trash with you. Run ATVs everywhere and make deep ruts on and on..

These shooters, above, were fine. Hope they took targets- bowling pins, shotgun shells, TVs, LP tanks home. Many dont.