The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2002, 09:08 PM   #1
BenW

Ffg in revolver?

Hey guys -- is there actually anything WRONG with using ffg in a .44 revolver? I just got one and I know fffg is recommended, but since I use both grades in my .54 Great Plains I was wondering if it's actually okay to use it in a revolver from the safety standpoint. I recognize that it might not be the best for efficiency or accuracy, I'm just curious for like say I go to the range with both guns, but forget the fffg.
Old January 5, 2002, 11:32 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

You can use FF, but it won't work as well. Pressure will be lower and you may have more drop. So long as you stay within the manufacturer's recommendation (advisory) for maximum load, you'll be O.K.
Old January 6, 2002, 10:17 PM   #3
Wildwilley

Dirt

It works...
It's just a little dirtier than the fffg.
Ya gotta remeber that the fffg is already really dirty, especially after 30 rounds or so.
Have ya ever seen those old pitchers a coal miners?
Old January 7, 2002, 12:00 AM   #4
BenW

Thanks guys. I think next time I'm at the range I'll fire a few rounds with it just for grins to see where the lead goes compared to the fffg.
Old January 7, 2002, 07:46 PM   #5
faraway

Also depends on the type of revolver. The 44. Remington and Colt's army tend to work better with 3f. However, the Dragoon seems to work quite well with 2f...and it wasn't uncommon to use that grade in the Dragoons in the 1850's...although that may have been a matter of availability. If you're really concerned about reliability, the old timers would place a few grains of 3f/4f (or they would 'powder down' 2f) into the cones of a revolver that was loaded with rifle powder. Only a few though...otherwise could blow the cones.