The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 26, 2001, 04:46 PM   #1
JonnyB

Decent trigger for Czech Mauser?

I "pre-inherited" (he's very much alive) a '98 Brno Mauser in .300 WinMag from my father-in-law. It's been heavily sporterized, but the trigger appears to be original, and it's one of the worst things I've felt. It has a very long pull; it's jerky, and has a *lot* of overtravel.

Can these be "tuned" to a useful condition, or is it best to visit Brownell's catalog for a replacement? If the latter, is it a user-friendly upgrade, or is a 'smith needed?

Also, I noticed that some loaded rounds in a box have bent soft-points, and am wondering if it's from being mashed on the feed ramp. I've not had time to 'mess' with it, as I just got it last night. I'll spend some time examining it further. It may need to have the ramp 'doctored', too. A bent-over tip can't add too much to accuracy...

JB
Old December 26, 2001, 06:03 PM   #2
Rottweiler

I'd recommend the browse your Brownells approach. Worst possible fit you might end having to file a bit here and there. Pretty easy replacement. The most likely spot will be the hole in the trigger guard.Bold and Timney are fairly simple. I just installed one of the Kepplinger Single Set triggers with a safety, had to enlarge the sear hole as well as trigger guard. Very nice trigger though. Might have to get one for myself
Old December 28, 2001, 09:08 PM   #3
Joe Portale

Get thee to www.midwayusa.com and order the Timney Sportsman trigger for the Mauser 98. (Midway should be giving me a commission for all the references I gave them today). The trigger is adjustable for pull and over travel, piece of cake to install. I have built several VZ BRNOs and these triggers fall right in.

I'll bet that your father in laws rifle had the first hump filed off the trigger cam. This was common a few years back. It cleaned up that nasty military "sort of two stage" trigger pull that was original on the VZ'z. But is gives you exactly what you discribed, long, creepy, jerky trigger pull with the back side of the pull wanting to go to the trigger guard ring.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old December 29, 2001, 01:32 PM   #4
Cris

If you are happy with the current safety that is on your rifle, there will be no need to pay the added cost of an aftermarket trigger with a safety. Use that money save to buy ammo. Just my two pennies.
Old December 30, 2001, 08:47 PM   #5
Gewehr98

One word for Mauser triggers:

Canjar.

Neural Misfires
Old December 30, 2001, 09:00 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you decide on a new trigger, buy one with the safety built in. That way, if you decide to install a scope, you don't have to go and buy a separate low scope safety.

Jim