The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 29, 2001, 05:02 PM   #1
ebachman

FFFG to FFFFG

Is it "safe" to grind down FFG or FFFG between two spoons to produce a limited amount of FFFFG?
I spoke with the product reps at cleanshot and they suggested this practice although it is NOT recommended on their website.
I know there is a difference but I wanted to ask the pros...e
Old October 29, 2001, 05:13 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd rather not but if you must, only in small quantities and with non-ferrous metals.

Depending on the rifle, 3F will work as priming material for the pan. Remember that soldiers, who did not carry priming horns, carried cartridges and primed from their cartridges. The grade of powder used in cartridges was very coarse by our modern standards.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:46 PM   #3
ebachman

Good practice

It's a Traditions PLR and I shot it with a friends FFFFG in the pan. I'll be picking up some more this weekend but may have the chance to do a little demonstration on the 31st at a fall festival.
Thanks for the advice...e
Old October 29, 2001, 09:14 PM   #4
BigG

I shoot 3F in my pan. Works just about every time. Ditto what Gary said.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 30, 2001, 09:32 AM   #5
Cap n ball

I've also used triple F in the pan, it can foul pretty quick but then I guess thats what picks are for. Dittos on what Gary said about using copper spoons. Don't forget that all powder is sensitive to pressure. Be careful or you'll get a nasty flash burn.

C&B
Old October 30, 2001, 09:43 AM   #6
ebachman

Thanks

Thanks for all the great info. I'll try the 3f in the pan and see how it works...e
Old November 1, 2001, 02:06 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I wouldn't even do it with copper spoons.

Black powder can generate its own static spark under the correct conditions.

Not something I'd really like to have happen.

I have a Thompson Center Renegade in .50, and I use 3F in the pan quite often. Usually increases locktime just a tad, but nothing of consequence.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:52 AM   #8
Wildwilley

Priming powder

Remember that if you make your own pime, never make it into a powder. (Like talcum)
If you grind it to fine, it will actually "snake" in the pan. That is it
will actually search for the grains of powder.
This can be cured by adding nitrates wet. But guys its a heck of a lot easier to buy it.
Split a can with a friend. If you need an extra storage can contact me on my cp.
I can tell you stories of a dozen guys who are missing body parts from static discharge.
Black powder is nothing to play with. I buy it, put it in my storage horns and that's it.
Don't put it in plastic bowels or bags. (Speed loaders are ok)
Don't walk across the carpet in winter with a can in your hands.
Don't slide the can or a loaded muzzeloader across that nice fuzzy car seat.
Do keep it in a cool dry place and while handeling it be very careful.
Old November 2, 2001, 10:47 AM   #9
Cap n ball

Amen to that Willy. I bought two pounds of 4f two years ago and still have a lot of powder. It's just not that expensive that anyone should take a chance grinding 3f down. I admit to having done it a couple of times but I won't ever do it again.