The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 17, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1
scottycoyote

gps for hunting?

just wondering what some of you guys are using for hunting nowadays? I dont have any land, so most of my hunting is buddies land or public. I want to start using aerial maps and topos more to try and pinpoint the good spots and then sneak in for some quick on the ground scouting and get my stand up from there. Id like to have a unit that handles both topos and aerials....i was looking at the delorme pn-30 and pn-40. Anybody use these? whats the diff between the 2 other than $100. Any other units out there i should be considering?
Old August 17, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Gbro

Have never tried a Delorme unit but do have their software.
I wonder if you mean by areal view you mean 3-D?

I use the Garmin 76-S. I wish color was out when I bought mine but could never see paying for a new one just to get color.
I have the topo software for mine and it is very good.

Wow I see they do have sat images capability!
The size of the display screen would keep me from wanting one. It looks about the same size as a garmin e-trac, and that display is too small!

Last edited by Gbro; August 17, 2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: because
Old August 17, 2009, 07:15 PM   #3
scottycoyote

it has 3d and then real aerial view, in color or black and white. I realise the screen is small but i was figuring id do the serious scouting using my pc and the topo and aerial software....then just use it as a reference on the gps, or lets say you strike out on your first stand and see a new promising area near by, you could pull up the aerial on the gps unit just to know what your dealing with
Old August 17, 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
fisherman66

I've been in the same perdicament fer a while. While I have no first hand practice with the pn-40 series I understand they can be difficult to use for even the computer savy. I have read they are great machines for the user who is willing to dedicate the time to learn 'em. I've always been impressed with Garmin and I imagine I will buy one of their mid-range HC devices before hitting public land this fall.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Dr. Strangelove

Promise you won't come hunt GA?

Then I'll tell you what I do...

Shhh....

Download a map from your state game management site, usually just line drawings of the boundaries or public hunting land. Convert this to a .tif or .jpeg, upload into Google Earth (free program) as a "layer". Adjust the transparency of the layer so that you can see the satellite data through the map, then tweak to fit your hunting area. (Your layer image can be stretched in all directions to fit the satellite data) Hint - use roads, edges of fields, etc. as guidelines when stretching to fit.

When you have your game lands map lined up properly, start looking for likely places to ambush whatever it is you want to hunt. Switch between satellite view and topo map view for best results. Decide on a view spots, then write down or export the coordinates to your GPS. Scout in person, and happy hunting!

For a GPS, I wouldn't buy anything but Garmin. I'm stuck with a POS Magellan that will be the first target at the range when I replace it with a Garmin. Magellan is much cheaper, but don't be tempted. When they work, they are very accurate, but Magellan customer service is a joke and they don't support their products when a new version comes out. I've got an Eplorist 400 that was once a decent unit, but they no longer offer parts or service. It's all of 5 years old.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; August 17, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:54 PM   #6
scottycoyote

thanks for the tip

id still like a gps that can hold aerial and topo tho too
Old August 18, 2009, 01:28 AM   #7
HiBC

Brothers use the Garmin Rhinos,the walkie-talkie/gps unit Sweet.
I do it a little different.
I use the map and compass,still,and verify with the GPS.I like the military grid co-ordinates,and even a Garmin Cricket will give me those.
Something I have learned the hard way,just like satellite TV,when a sudden snow squall happens and you can't see much,the GPS does not work.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:16 AM   #8
davlandrum

If I was going to replace mine, I would really look at those rhinos. For where we hunt, it would be sweet to be able to see where your buddy was, even if we only used that when we were trying to figure the easiest way to pack out.

I have an older Megellan, I think it is a "Platinum" that has been great. It was their high-end model back then.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 18, 2009, 07:25 PM   #9
scottycoyote

ive got one of those old magellans too, prob paid 300 for it 10 years ago......i recently picked up one of the low end garmins just for hiking. Maybe im going over board with the technology stuff......just seems like it would be awesome to roll up on a piece of land and be able to see the topo and then pick out the greenfields and fire roads and try to work it out right there in the field. I really dont have much time for scouting, i get in the field a few days and thats about it.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Gbro

I see you have a good amount of GPS experience.
The biggest mistakes I have seen is the average person just isn't familiar with their unit.
The Garmin Rhino units are so sweet for keeping track of a hunting partner that has little GPS knowledge. Then the encrypted messaging and 2-way features are awesome also.
I to love the UTM system and have all my maps gridded out with UTM eastings.
I then have a transparency gridded the same and a couple squares are gridded down to 10 meter grids. I can rotate the transparency and align it anywhere on my maps.
BUT, I still need to pull them all out before season and work a couple sample locations both from the field and with coordinates because that is the way life is for me, I can't remember [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]
Old August 19, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11
davlandrum

Unfortunately, my hunting partner was in the Navy - he can't understand the UTM system that I am used to. It is a hoot when we are trying to send a location over the radio...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 20, 2009, 07:44 AM   #12
phil mcwilliam

I can certainly see the advantage of a GPS unit with aerial / topo features. I have used GPS as a hunting aid for the last 15 years & am on my 3rd unit, which is a 5 year old magellan- probably due for an upgrade due to past experience. I always have used a GPS in conjunction with a map & compass. I have been in circumstances where the GPS could not get a satellite fix, & have also had an incorrect fix given by a GPS, where on both occassions the map & compass has confirmed my "gut instinct" & got me home.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Huntergirl

I use topo maps before I go hunting just to scout the lay of the land, and keep the relevent ones in my back pack. I use a compass when needed, which hasn't been often. I keep landmarks, mountain peaks, drainages in mind when hunting. I've been known to use surveyors tape after downing game in heavy brush.