The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 3, 2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Senator Vitaman

New question

So, I've never been hunting and might want to try. I am, however, a target shooter. So, what will I need to get started? I already have a gun, unfortunantly it doesn't have an accurate sight. I'm thinking maybe an aperture sight or a low power scope. Can anyone reccomend some good rifled slugs? Preferably lead-free? (I'll be hunting Deer in Michigan, and it's slug-only)

Next, I'll need some blaze orange. How well does blaze camo work? Also, woudn't blaze orange not work as well in the fall? I was thinking I might want to get some reflective green too, aside from the legally required orange. Thoughts on this?

Next I'll need to decide how I will hunt. I was thinking still-hunting would be better than a treestand, though realisticly, I'm not sure how well that would work.

Then there are the details. I'll probably want a GPS and I'm not sure what knives to get. Snake boots might also be a good idea. There is probably some stuff I will need that I haven't even though
Old May 3, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

First we need some details...
What will you be hunting.
Where will you be hunting.
What weapon of choice.
What is your level of physical ability.
What is your perceived level of out door knowledge.
With this info we can help with suggestions and opinions.

As for camo... It is needed for some hunting like archery due to havine to get the game in so close.
I wear a blaze orange ball cap or beanie. If I am quite sure I am alone in the woods I may remove the orange if I sit and look around.

I prefer the Garmin brand for GPS as they seem easier for me to operate.
Knives depends on game and such. A fillet knife ain't something I use much on hogs.

Brent
Old May 3, 2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Michigan. Shotguns/slugs only.

As for sights, you'd probably do better to ask about those in the Shotgun forum.

In the meantime, ask around local gunshops about what folks use for boots and such. Don't buy anything; just sorta listen and assess what local folks say. And we'll probably have some Michigan folks show up here.

Assuming you already have some area in which to hunt, get a topographic map of the area. Maps don't need batteries. They work with heavy cloud cover.

Deer don't see colors as we do. The world is seen in varying shades of gray. That's why blaze orange isn't a real problem for a hunter. Shininess and reflectivity is more of a problem.

Spend as much time as possible on weekends out in the area where you are likely to hunt. Learn the land. Practice walking quietly. If you've never done that, you'll find that it's an art all in itself.

From first light to maybe an hour after sunup, and the last hour of light in the evening are times when you're most likely to see critters of whatever sort. So, that's the time of day for you to be outside and watching.

Nuff fer now; tons of other stuff...
Old May 3, 2009, 10:04 AM   #4
fisherman66

A good pair of boots and decent binoculars might be the most critical items I use. If you stand hunt the boots aren't quite as critical, but the binoculars aren't something to pull out of the bargain bin. They don't have to be expensive, but don't buy cheapies.

For hunter orange I just use an inexpensive vest and ballcap on public land. Try to keep movement to a minimum regardless of what you are wearing. You can't move too slow.

Why lead free slugs? Don't eat the slug regardless of what it's make of. Have you been listening to the weirdos about lead dust? Cut out bloodshot meat and forget about those nut jobs.

Garmin's GPS are good. Look for the new "H" or cs"X" versions. Tigergps"dot"com has the best prices I have seen. Their customer service is fair to good. I hit one snafu with them, but I'll still recommend them since they fixed it.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Pahoo

First off, learn you state's hunting laws not only on hunting Deer but all laws. Does you state allow blaze orange camo? Some don't and the requirements are clearly defined in the laws.

I would suggest that you take advantage of the Squirrel season in order to work out some bugs and reintroduce yourself with the areas you will be hunting. Gets that "Hunter Eye" working again. I personally do not care if you kill any Squirrels, just get out there and get dirty. If you are just going out for Deer and "Party" hunting, then get with members of your group and get some pointers.

When doing these activities usually suggest the you make out a list of elements of the activity and what you will need to support it. That by the way, includes field dressing, care and cooking the game. Basically a What, Where and how list. Example; Take some string or line with you. What for?? You will figure it out. It's not that complicated and part of the overall package called "Hunting"

Be Safe !!!
Old May 3, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
fisherman66

Quote:
Example; Take some string or line with you. What for?? You will figure it out.

to tie around yer finger? fish when the game ain't bittin'? tent repair?

Or do you mean rope fer pullin' and hangin' from a tree (the deer that is)?
Old May 3, 2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Adventurer 2

String or line is for tieing something off when gutting a deer.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:25 PM   #8
fisherman66

I just squeeze the pellets out and pinch the rectum and pull from the inside.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:33 PM   #9
dahermit

Snake boots??? There is only one posionieus snake in Michigan, The Massasauga. I have lived in Michigan my whole life (soon to be 66) have never seen one despite spending far more than most in the woods. Most Michigan sportsmen have never seen one either.
During firearm deer season, most snakes have gone to ground to hibernate for the winter because cold weather has usually started by then.
No one has died from the bite of a Massasauga since 1900.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...rps/masrat.htm
You do not need snake boots to hunt the firearms season in Michigan.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:05 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

hermit, I lived in that giant freezer 5 winters as a kid. I never seen a venomous snake albeit in the woods and fields every possible minute. I also was told of timber rattlers, are the ones you speak of what folks would have meant?
No snake boots but I would need 3 pairs of socks, and a large pair of "snowmobile" boots with double felts to keep my toes from burning... (florida keys native blood in these veins)...
I missed the deer only part of my first post... TOO EARLY I GUESS.
Brent
Old May 3, 2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Pahoo

Quote:
Adventurer 2: String or line is for tieing something off when gutting a deer.
Be Safe !!!