The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 23, 2002, 10:27 PM   #1
XDREAMIST2

Enfield .303

I came across an old Enfield and was ready to refinish it but am curious if it is valuable as is. The number is M52495. This seems like a low number. I dont know if it is a MkIII or MkIV. It shoots ok. The rifle was pressure tested in 46 by the British.
The owner wanted to clean it up and use it hunting but I dont want to refinish it if it has value. Any info would be helpful. Wayne
Old March 23, 2002, 11:34 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That serial number would seem to indicate a Rifle No. 4, but just in case, the No.4 has a rear peep sight on the back of the receiver, while the Rifle No.1 Mk III has the sight on the barrel ahead of the receiver. Unless it is something special, cleaning it up should not hurt the value any. Many have been cut down for hunting, though there are better rifles to do that with than a Lee-Enfield.

Jim
Old March 24, 2002, 08:31 AM   #3
daniel (australia)

The model designation, year and location of manufacture should be stamped on the butt socket, just about where the bolt knob ends up when the bolt is closed.

On some No 4 models made in Britain during the height of the war this stamping is pretty minimal and crude, but otherwise it is usually obvious what you have.

There are some rare marks of Lee Enfield, but your typical No 4 or No 1 Mk III or III* was made in the millions.

They make a good, rugged hunting rifle, and there are many still in use in that capacity in places like Australia and Canada. I have a couple myself. They can be surprisingly accurate, all things considered, and the .303 gives little away ballistically to the .308.
Old March 24, 2002, 10:07 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

XDreamist:

I have sent, my separate email, some history and marking identifications for the 303. It will have to be unzipped in order to read it.

HJN