The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 1, 2011, 10:50 AM   #1
awbrock

How strong is a S&W 629

Hi,

I recently bought a S&W 629-5, its a 6" SS Semi-lug.

I was just wondering if I'd hurt it with repeated use of 300gr Speer UCSPs loaded with max published loads of Win 296 or H110 of 22.5grs.

I don't know much about S&Ws I have a feeling it will be ok but I don't want to hurt my new sidearm.

This is the first S&W I've ever owned.

thanks,
awbrock
Old November 1, 2011, 11:24 AM   #2
mete

Just what are you going to shoot with max loads of a 300 gr bullet ? My old M29 is still in excellent shape but most rounds have been less than max .That includes many metallic silhouette matches and a bunch of deer .The heaviest bullet has been Federal's loading of Swift A-frame , 280 gr. I just took a 250 lb deer -one shot kill.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

Awbrock:

I'm shooting a Model 29 that I purchased in 1964 before Smith beefed up the 29's action. I cast bullets by the thousands and I shot many thousands of full power reloads through it and it is still going strong. With your 629 and its beefed up action, you shoud have no problems during your life time.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old November 1, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Winchester_73

The answer here is discard that crappy S&W...

And buy a Ruger Super redhawk or a plain Redhawk if that suits you.

Its the only 44 magnum on the market that still functions after nuclear explosion!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
solvability

I love my 629 and believe it will outlast you and your joints with those loads. Seriously, I believe you will not damage the gun with regular practice with that load for hunting. If you were competing and shooting 1000 rounds a month any revolver will wear out - even Rugers.

I believe the Ruger Redhawk is stronger and I have one, but it is not as nice to shoot as the SW.

Most of my practice with the SW 629 is with 240g Keith @ 1050fps - I bump up a bit for local Deer and Hogs but would not go much higher unless I was in Bear country and then I would carry a rifle.

I think the pressure is the key not the bullet weight.

Have fun and if you start to hurt or develop a flinch back off and work back up to find your balance point.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:48 AM   #6
awbrock

Thanks

Just wanted some idea of what to expect.

I didn't want to break anything, with the heavy bullets and heavy loads, haven't tried the load I listed, I have loaded and shot a couple of the 300 gr bullets but not at max. I used 21 gr of H110.

Was thinking about using it on deer and wild boar out to about 50 yards.

I always heard S&Ws were strong.

As for the Redhawk... if it's anything like the GP100 I have; I don't think you could kill it.

Thanks for the info.... it's reasuring!!
Old November 1, 2011, 12:23 PM   #7
spacecoast

Here's an article by a well-respected author and Model 29 expert John Taffin regarding the various generations of the 29 (and 629) and how they have changed over time.

http://www.sixguns.com/range/SmithWesson44Mag.htm

For me personally, I shoot a modest number of hot rounds (240 JHP, 23.7 grains of H110) through my 629-4 Classic DX, but mainly shoot mid-level lead reloads using Unique or Titegroup. The hot ones are a lot of fun but I don't feel it necessary to use them exclusively.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:26 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
[The Ruger Redhawk is] the only 44 magnum on the market that still functions after nuclear explosion!
I have to chuckle at W73's satirical remarks... there are too many people on the Interwebz who will eagerly tell you that Rugers will withstand Russian nuclear assault, being run over by trains, being thrown out of jet airplanes, and/or direct hits by 105mm howitzer shells, yet somehow S&Ws won't make it through 1 box of Buffalo Bore ammo without pelting the shooter with loose screws and flying bits of cylinder.

99% of these people have no idea what they're talking about, and the remaining 1% are exaggerating.

Enjoy your M629.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Max loads won't blow your revolver up. Unless specifically stated otherwise, most data in reloading manuals is safe in any firearm chambered for that particular cartridge so long as the gun is in good mechanical condition. If your loadings of Win296 or H110 were only safe in Rugers, then you loading manual would say so.

Be aware, however, that shooting a steady diet of maximum loads out of any firearm will accelerate wear and shorten its service life. I, personally, don't have much desire to shoot a steady diet of nuclear loads in a .44 Magnum because I just don't think it's needed.

I originally got caught up in the "Ruger strength" hype and bought a Redhawk as my first .44 Magnum. While it was certainly a nice enough gun, I found that I very rarely shot maximum loads because 99.9% of what I'd ever need to do with a handgun could be accomplished with a light to moderate load of 2400 with a 240-250gr bullet, so max loads really weren't worth the extra recoil.

Once I realized that I didn't need max loads, the Redhawk quickly started to seem like an overly large and heavy gun for what I wanted to use it for. Eventually, I sold the Redhawk to my younger brother (who still owns it and is quite happy with it) and put the money towards a 4" S&W 629 which serves my needs and wants much better.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:21 PM   #10
mete

50 yds ? I think all of mine have been withing 50 yds . The old Speer 1/2 jacket SWHP , Corbon DPX [Barnes all copper] , Federal 280 gr Swift A-frame , all are excellent bullets .Premium ,penetration and expansion . I like an exit hole . These bullets have the penetration needed for pigs too .
Old November 1, 2011, 09:13 PM   #11
totaldla

Something to consider: A 300gr hardcast at 900fps is going to whistle right through any of the game you mentioned. So when you push it up to 1300fps - what are you going to accomplish other than bury the unscathed slug deeper into the dirt?

Your revolver will handle it, but you might shoot a non-nuclear load more accurately. After all, only hits count and few critters are impressed by buck and roar.
Old November 1, 2011, 10:19 PM   #12
awbrock

Thanks

All good points!

Thanks for the info!!!