The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2001, 04:36 PM   #1
NoSweat

Need help finding Star or Berdon loader Parts

I just purchased a Berdon press (a Star clone) at the gun show in Tulsa. I would like to contact the manufacturer, and get a list of parts. The Berdon is a "taller" version of the Star, and takes standard dies, and will do rifle calibers. The one I have is in 45ACP, and I was considering putting some rifle calibers on it.

I would also like to get a contact for Star loaders. I have a Star, equipped for 38, 45, 44, and .223, and some day I may need parts.

The last info I had , Star was located in San Diego. 416 10th Ave, 92101. phone 619-232-3216 but that phone is now a private residence.

The last info on Berdon was Berdon Machine Co. Inc. Box 483, Hobart, Washington 98025. 206-392-1866, but that phone number doesn't work.

Any help in contacting the manufacturers would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 23, 2001, 06:52 PM   #2
Steve Smith

I recently purchased a new Star luber/sizer. The Magma Engineering company purchased the Star company, and is now making several Star units. They might have what you're looking for.

www.magmaengr.com

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 23, 2001, 11:02 PM   #3
NoSweat

Thanks Steve...

I emailed Magna to see if they could help me.
I spent a few hours on the web today looking for a source, but so far, no luck.

I had a letter which I recieved from Berdon 20 years ago, and I tracked the guy's name on it to a phone number and location just a few miles from the old Berdon facility. I called him, and left a message on his machine, but no callback yet. I'm hoping he will call me and fill me in on the history of Berdon.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:07 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I thought Magma only got the rights to the Star lubrisizer.
Star Machine Works is listed in the 2000 Gun Digest at
PO Box 1872, Pioneer, CA 95666
209-295-5000

I never heard of a Berdon machine.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:15 PM   #5
NoSweat

Jim:
Thanks for the input. I also got the Star info from Magma. I called Star this morning, and got an answering machine. I left a message, and am waiting for a callback.

As to the Berdon. This was a direct copy of the Star, with the difference of longer actuating arms, and a taller center post. It was tapped for a standard set of 7/8"x14 dies at the # 1,#4 and #5 positions, for sizing, seating and crimping. The other parts are essentially like the Star, and use star parts. This allowed loading of rifle calibers with standard dies. I guess no one wanted to make dies like Star's, as they were really well made, chrome plated, carbide sizers etc., except they had a smaller diameter, and a finer thread. Star would also make you a taller loader if you wanted it, for loading rifle cartridges.

Here is a picture af the Star next to the Berdon. You can see the difference in height, and the longer actuating arms as well as the standard dies. The Star is sort of hidden behind the casefeeder and the auto indexer, but you can see the similarities. The Berdon has a nifty set of spring loaded fingers at each shell position. This allows the case to be removed without the hassle of cycling them all through to the last station, like on the Star. Looking closely at the Berdon, you can see a groove cast into the head right behind the sizing die. This was to accomodate the larger diameter, standard dies. Stars were much smaller in diameter, and didn't need this groove.

Old October 26, 2001, 11:36 AM   #6
Quantrill

Star Reloaders

NoSweat,
A few years ago, I wanted to have an old Star Reloader rebuilt. I went through what you are going through. Here is the info I ended up with.

Star Machine Works
17901 Mira Vista Court
Pioneer, Ca. 95666

Phone: 209-295-5000

They rebuilt my Star at a reasonable price and I am happy with it. Never heard of a Berdon though.
Goes to show nobody knows everything. Good Luck!
Quantrill
Old October 27, 2001, 12:21 AM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

Haven't seen a Berdon in years. Had one but, well, they are certainly uncommon. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

New the fellow who made them. Can not remember his name anymore but he was certainly interesting.

The Berdon isn't a direct copy of the Star. Certainly similar but not an exact copy.

Star-style machines were made by Phelps, Berdon and CPM. There was also a scaled up version, don't remember who made it now, that was only in 50 BMG. Very impressive looking machine. For a brief time there was also a Star variant made by an Australian firm. The first Dillon, the RL1000, was certainly derived from the Star. The Star designer, Elord Mott, actaully helped Mike Dillon with that design.

Good luck in finding Berdon parts. I knew the maker and even back when he was in business I had trouble getting those.
Old October 27, 2001, 04:32 PM   #8
NoSweat

Kenneth....

I have seen the Phelps machines as well. This was the first Berdon I had seen. I was wandering around the Tulsa gun show last weekend, and I saw it on this guys table. I stopped to talk about it and he told me that I could get the parts from Berdon,and that Berdon had bought Star. Well, I now know that is not true. I's not a big deal though, as it was only missing the handle and the primer weight rod. I had a spare handle, I can make a weight rod quite easily, or use the rod from my Star. So I don't really need any parts, I was just trying to line up sources.

So I bought the thing. Not because I needed it , but because it looked like a Star, and I figured, what the heck, I can always use another loader. I only have a Star and a Dillon in 45ACP, doesn't everyone need three loaders per caliber?

So after a few hours of polishing with scotchbrite to remove surface tarnish and excess old grease, it looks practically new. It has been used very little, and shows essentially no wear.
Actually you can't hardly wear out a Star. I have never broken or worn out any parts on my Star, and I bought it used.

Your comments about Dillon are interesting. I have the .223 SuperStar conversion for my Star. As I understand it, this was made by Dillon in order to load .223 on a standard Star. I was told this was his intro into the loader business. He certainly knows how to make a good, and low cost loader now. The conversion consists of a set of arm-to-toolhead links which allow greater stroke, a new powder slide assembly, which has a hard anodized aluminum body and a copper slide, and a really slick powder drop tube with a concentric tube that holds the rather tall case in proper location for filling. Note in the pic, you can see the "Star" sized .223 sizer and how the the powder slide body holds the expander in place. (Small dot just in front of the slide) also on the rear pic, you can see the expander is well up inside the toolhead, and the concentric powder drop tube. What you can't see is the precise TIG welding on the powder drop tube to create the concentric assembly. I love the cross hatch grind lines on the flange of the toolhead. This can only occur as the grinder "sparks out" at the end of the grind, and only if the flange is perfectly flat. Nobody did machine work like Star...it was super precise.

Old January 15, 2009, 12:43 PM   #9
kiev721

Berdon Info

Hello Everyone...........Here's some info on the Berdon Progressive Reloading Machine, that might be of intrest.....
Quite a few years ago I met a Fellow at the Washington Arms Collectors Club, Howard Risdon by name, Howard was
a past member of the Seattle Symphony, an Oboist, and very good I might add. Howard also had a fairly strong intrest in Firearms. Which manifested it's self as the Owner of the Berdon Reloading Press Co. located on Tiger Mnt. Near Issaqua Wa. Not only did Howard make the Berdon Press, he also made a neat little Machine to make and trim Basson and Obo Reeds, a really cool little gizmo.
I noted in one of the Posts that the Berdon press used
" Star " parts, sort of, only the first dozen or so used "Star" parts. once Howard aquired a supplyer for the parts he needed, all of the Berdon parts were made in house.
The Die turret and the base were cast the rest WE made in the shop. I also noted that someone said His Berdon made Rifle Cal. Ctgs. only the Presses that I made were able to make rifle Ctgs. as I was the one that designed the new parts to allow that, all of the previos presses only made Pistol Ctgs. 25 ACP to 45 Colt . the 25 ACP was the Most dificult to set up and dial in, due to the small size and very tight tollerences that we used. Howard and I did our very best to make the very best machine possible, every one was pre tested , we made 50 to 100 Rnds with each machine to dial it in befor it was shipped out. Most went to a Customer in Belgum, also Australia, which is were the fellow lived that bought the rights to the Berdon name , tooling and a lot of unfinished parts. To My knowledge none have ever been made or shipped from Australia.
Old January 19, 2009, 05:21 PM   #10
swanee

Hi Kiev721, You are correct on some of your reporting of the berdon, I recently bought one at a local gunshow, as with all the stuff I aquire I do my best to research, well I found the info I was looking for and am now the owner of all (i think) the left over parts and they are for sale. Several weeks ago I made the trip to Washington, made it threw all the weather and there was alot of weather. Spent a day with Howard's wife, had a very informative visit, then off to the machineshop, loaded my truck down with all the goodies, was a very heavy load, I came home with lots of parts, drawings,tooling, and jigs, now i'm trying to figure out what they really are, am having a blast. Have just about got all the rust, dirt and grease removed. So, the report on the stuff going to Australia is not so, they have found a home here in Iowa. I'm really pleased I ran accross your post.