The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 9, 2014, 06:10 PM   #26
5whiskey

Quote:
What I've observed is that those who use their thumb to release the slide tend to thumb the release anyway (if forceful insertion causes the slide to release) ... or there is a brief "huh wuh happin?" moment .. so there isn't a time savings in that case.
To someone not experienced or who doesn't train frequently... well maybe. Those well versed in firearms, or more specifically combat/SD pistol and rifle, will likely instantly recognize the slide going home on a hard mag insert because we've seen it hundreds of times.

Quote:
I also offer the opinion that shaving nths-of-second off of reloads is low on the list of techniques with a statistically high survival value.
I do, however, agree with you 100% here.

Quote:
I could think of more. Bottom line is a TAC reload does not reach my priority level. It seems more useful in gun games than it does in real life.
Not always... but I contend that for most civilian SD tactics there are way higher priorities. Generally I agree with your training priority list. I would tweak it for my preferences, but that doesn't make you wrong and me right... just different.

*NOTE TO THE OP: I do think that you are leaning too heavily on a combat reload, and I'm afraid it could develop into a training scar. There's certainly nothing wrong with topping off with a fresh mag if the threat is down and you're safe, but seeking cover (as in keeping your butt from getting shot cover) while you continue to assess the threat is far more important than ensuring that mag gets topped off right away. Look into the murder of SC State Trooper Mark Coates. He had shoot the suspect center mass with a .357 and the suspect was down, but the suspect was still a threat. Seek cover, keep focus on the threat (and any other potential threats), then worry about that fresh mag.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:33 PM   #27
AdamSean

This is how I practice my reloads.

Load one magazine with only 3 rounds and the other with 5. Then mix them up in a bag so you don't know which is which. Load the pistol and start shooting double taps. When you get slidelock, quickly reload while moving and fire the 2nd shot.

It really helps if you have a pardner load for you and then write a number on your targets to tell you how many rounds to fire. Then you just run the reload and finish the string.
Old June 23, 2014, 11:23 PM   #28
colbad

If you are truly doing tactical training and not just swapping mags you should have some empty casings in the mag (or training rounds) to simulate a ftf. Obviously if you go dry and the slide locks you have to address that with a full drop and reload and sling shot the slide.

In a ftf drill the sequence is tap, rack and fire if appropriate. So, the answer to your question depends on if you are doing tactical reloads going dry, ftf drills or just mag exchanges.

Normally a mag exchange is not done in the heat of battle unlike a tactical reload. The mag exchange is an opportunity to put a fresh mag into the FA from a position of cover prior to re-engaging in the firefight. I would not wast a bullet by training to eject it each time you reload unless you are required to because you are dry.

Also, when doing tactical ftf or reloads, you do not stand there like a dear in the headlights....you seek cover. You will fight the way you train, so train correctly.