The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1
justplainpossum

What could I be doing wrong?

I was practicing with my Ruger .357, and I noticed that when I shoot single action, I'm really accurate. But then when I went double action, I didn't even hit the target. So I kept practicing, trying to do the same in d/a that I was doing in s/a, and it was pathetic. I'm using a relatively light load, I don't think I'm flinching. Is it normal to be worse in double action? I must be pulling it somehow. It was confounding that even when I concentrated, breathed, aimed... my shot was still way off (great, that's all I need, to shoot a cow...)

I will keep practicing, but I just don't know how to correct whatever I may be doing wrong. Perhaps I need to take lessons from someone who can watch me when I shoot. Is one stance better than another in target practice?
Old March 10, 2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Ferretboy

Try dry firing in double action and see how your sight behaves. I know I practice like that when ever I get a chance.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Wild-Bill

Get some snap caps and practice the DA. Practice, practice, practice.

It is most likely that your pulling during the trigger squeeze. It only takes a teeny tiny bit of movement of the barrel and you'll be off many inches at the target.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:35 PM   #4
GP100man

Move target closer or get a bigger 1 & practice .

But if ya can`t see where you`re missing ya can`t figgure out what ya doing wrong.

Are ya pulling em rt. or pushing em left(shooting rt. handed??) , trigger finger placement is critical ,especially on the GP as it has a long DA pull as you`ll find .

Also liter springs (10# trigger & 12#hammer recommended) & shimms for the trigger & hammer are a must for consistent pull weights.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
g.willikers

It's your grip and trigger control.
Double action is much harder to get right.
Here's how from the expert, Jerry Miculek:
http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek
Old March 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
MrBorland

Most people I see struggling with DA accuracy are doing so because they're really yanking the trigger - either from the beginning, or because they've staged it first (pulling partway, getting sight picture, pull the rest of the way).

Let's start with the 1st scenario: The DA pull itself should obviously should be controlled and steady. From the beginning. And completely through to the end. That may sound obvious, but it's very common for folks to really yank that trigger, as though the travel is something that must be bypassed somehow. Picture using your fingertip to move a flat coin to a precise spot on the other side of the table. Giving it a good hard jab and letting it fly won't be nearly as effective as smoothly pushing it all the way to it's target.

As far as staging the trigger, count me in as one who thinks it's a bad habit to get into. It essentially amounts to timing the shot, which target shooters will tell you is a futile endeavor. It also suggests you haven't fully committed to the shot before you started pulling, and indecision kills accuracy.

Ironically enough, staging the trigger isn't the most accurate way to shoot DA; a smooth consistent pull through the break will yield better results. While practicing, you can abort the shot if anything's not right, but - and this is key - mentally commit to a proper sight picture & trigger control before you start your pull, not during the pull.

Something not mentioned yet is a good high stronghand grip. When looking from the side, you shouldn't see exposed backstrap. Once you get your high grip, experiment with finger placement. A good place to start is the 1st joint, but really, what's best is whatever gives you the most control, which you can determine via dry fire, so long as you really watch that front sight.

At the range, try the ball-and-dummy drill, where the cylinder is randomly loaded with a mix of live & dummy rounds. It's very effective for diagnosing a flinch as the sear breaks. If you are flinching, it may be because you're thinking about when the shot will break, or perhaps because you're thinking about trying to make a good shot. If so, ditch the target altogether for a bit. Simply shoot slow, controlled shots into the berm or the backstop while you focus on a smooth trigger pull with good sight alignment.

Finally, I agree with the suggestion to dry fire a lot, but be sure it's quality dry fire. Just mindlessly clicking away at the TV may do more harm than good (assuming the TV survives ).
Old March 11, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

No, you're not the only one JPP. It is the rare shooter indeed who is as good DA as when using SA. Not impossible mind you, E. Keith did aerial shooting in DA, so did another showman who's name escapes me from that time period. BTW, Keith preferred not to stage his trigger, the other preferred it. Keith talked about it pretty extensively in his book. To each his own.

I very rarely practice DA shooting and then only at SD distances. When I really really have to hit something, SA is where it's at. Just plain and simply I don't have deep enough pockets to get my DA shooting to SA levels. If I ever do you can dang well bet I'll be all over the place braggin.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:55 PM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny
It is the rare shooter indeed who is as good DA as when using SA.
It's not really that rare - go to any IDPA, ICORE, USPSA competition, and you'll see them. Outside of that, though, it is rare to find someone who knows it's do-able, and who's put the effort in.

Quote:
so did another showman who's name escapes me from that time period.
Ed McGivern.

Quote:
Just plain and simply I don't have deep enough pockets to get my DA shooting to SA levels.
Dry fire's free. Besides, it's not about the number of rounds simply sent downrange - it's about getting quality shots off. 20 really focused, mindful shots with good technique will do a lot more for your DA shooting than 100 - 200 shot with less focus.

For one serious about it, a quality DA .22LR is a good understudy to one's centerfire revolver, particularly if you don't reload your own ammo.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
SIGSHR

What's the weight of your trigger pull? That has a lot to do with it.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:55 PM   #10
BigJimP

Practice some dry firing..../ and pulling the trigger all the way thru in one smooth move ( not stopping or pre-staging ..and jerking).

There are some laser lights you can stick in the end of the barrel...and watch them bounce around .../ or just ask a buddy to stand next to you and look for you jerking the trigger.

If you don't do it when you're dry firing ...then its probably a flinch, or you might be "milking the grip" or something else...

Get a bigger target...at a shorter distance...so you can see where your rounds are hitting....you need feedback.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #11
pete2

The front sight is your friend.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:03 PM   #12
justplainpossum

Wow, great suggestions, thanks!!