The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 10:24 PM   #26
crazycrave

My brother in-law has one that he ordered with the 10" barrel and adjustable sights, i shot the gun and it grouped real nice but my Ruger single six in stainless steel shots just as good if not better with a 6" barrel.. i shopped around and found my Ruger used but in like new condition for $400 and i feel it was worth it for the stainless steel model as i hope to keep it for a long time.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Garycw

Had one for 25 years

They're great for the $. Got the 22Lr & mag cyl. I keep mine loaded with 22 mag. Shot shells. Not sure about yours,BUT mine has a hair trigger when cocked!
Old November 25, 2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Superhouse 15

I won one in a gunshop raffle when they first came out. Mine is nickle with the bird head grip. I shoot the snot out of it with magnums, in fact I believe I lost the LR cylinder a few years ago. No quality issues for me, and If I mess it up or loose it in the woods I'm out $0.00. I hear that RR is now owned by Taurus, I might get a replacement cylinder for the kids to have.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Yung.gunr

The wife was adamantly against semi autos (she thought they where BG guns) so we got her the Rough Rider as her first pistol. I sure as heck didn't want to spend Ruger or S&W type of scratch for her first gun when I'm just barely coming around to wheel guns. I have to admit that it is a pretty fun little gun. You do get what you pay for with it, it doesn't seem of the greatest quality, but is definitely serviceable.

I really like the trigger pull.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:14 AM   #30
crazycrave

(Ruger or S&W type of scratch) LOL...

I thought when i got my Ruger that the gun was kind of new looking as i got it used at a local gun store but after running the serial number on there site it came up as made in 1986 .. i don't know what the gun cost back then in stainless steel with a 6.5 barrel but i would think it couldn't be more then $200 and i give $400 in 2012 for it and saw one like it used but unknown date for $480 the other day

So i guess what i'm saying is the Rugers gain value over time because they are really a work of art and the RR which i owned one back in the early 90's has not gained much in value at all.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:05 PM   #31
wayneinFL

Mine ate firing pins every 300 rounds or so. Damned shame, because it was one of the most accurate 22 handguns I've owned. Customer service was great- they sent me all the doing pins I wanted, and they sent me a pocketknife once for my trouble.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:24 PM   #32
bedbugbilly

wayne - just curious . . . did you ever determine why it was eating fire pins? I love mine and have no complaints whatsoever - have probably put 500 - 600 rounds through it so far.

As for the Rugers - yes, they certainly are good and rugged handguns. I have a vintage 3 screw Super Bearcat and I paid $300 for it - it's in pristine condition along with box and papers. It's a great revolver but I like to shoot and so I wanted to try the RR for two reasons - price and if it got dinged up, so what?
I was very pleasantly surprised by it and enjoy it a lot.

I like the little larger size of the RR over the Bearcat as for me, it's easier to load and eject and I've been shooting SA for years. I am still keeping my eyes out for a good used Ruger Single Six though . . . if a person keeps looking, he'll run across 'em. A lot of times, I've seen them for $300 to $350 used and usually "vintage". I think the fellow that got the stainless for $400 did well. And yes, the Ruger will maintain their value more than the RR . . . but again for a knock around pistol that's a lot of fun to shoot and not a burden on folks on a budget, the RR fits the bill.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63