The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #51
Amsdorf

Nah, I'm a bleeding heart liberal who just wants to ban all guns, and am using my interest in firearms and the fact that I have a huge stock of them at home as deep cover in order to infiltrate the OPFOR and wreak havoc among them, winning hearts and minds to our side.

Old October 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #52
Hiker 1

These type of threads always have the "when I was a boy, we could...". Those days are gone and they're not coming back.

We have to live in the world we're in. It could be as simple as the kid dropping a heavy Garand, smashing his toe and howling to mom who then flips out.

Regardless, the OP did the right thing.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:48 PM   #53
Edward429451

You guys are funny. This country is doomed.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:00 PM   #54
JIMBOINVA

I hear ya. Sadly, it goes well beyond firearms attitude and reaches into just about every facet of our declining society. I see it everyday in the G. We call it the "marshmallow blanket of societal correctness". But....I rant. Bottom line, good on ya for wanting to share and help -- some just can;t be helped. R // Jim
Old October 8, 2012, 04:02 PM   #55
Edward429451

Thanks, Jim.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:05 AM   #56
BlueTrain

I don't think the country is doomed, at least for any reason mentioned in this thread. I grew up in a house with no guns until we moved to the country. I lived there all of six months before leaving for good. The only gun in the house then was a .32-40 single-shot rifle. It was a log house.

I went in the army myself for three years, artillery training.

My son never so much as touched a gun until about six months before joining the army. Oddly enough, the gun was an old German MP-40 and it was at an armed forces display on the mall in Washington, DC. What the army is still using an MP-40 is something I don't know. But in any event, he became a tank crewman for three years and a few months, half of that time in Iraq. He still has no interest in guns. Tanks, yes.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:11 PM   #57
K_Mac

What most threatens our society and our way of life is self-righteous people on all sides who think that their's is the only way, and anyone who sees things differently is wrong. Just my humble opinion of course...
Old October 9, 2012, 06:35 PM   #58
Amsdorf

K Mac, I'm glad there were some people around in the 1940s who felt their way was the only right way and destroyed those who felt their's was the only right way. I'm referring to ridding the world of the filth of Nazi Germany and Imperialistic Japan.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:26 PM   #59
gaseousclay

Quote:
K Mac, I'm glad there were some people around in the 1940s who felt their way was the only right way and destroyed those who felt their's was the only right way. I'm referring to ridding the world of the filth of Nazi Germany and Imperialistic Japan.
unfortunately, there are those that still cling to old prejudices from these wars and condemn citizens from those countries.

but K_Mac was referring to politics in the US, and I agree. Everyone seems to hate each other and until that changes this country will continue on a path of decline
Old October 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #60
Amsdorf

I did not condemn citizens, today, from those countries. I simply said that the notion that the "problem" is that some people think they are right and others are wrong is an absurd notion.

Of course some people are right and others are wrong.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:47 PM   #61
K_Mac

Gaseous my comment certainly applies to our politics, but it goes well beyond that. We have reached a place where unless a person thinks, acts, or believes as we think they should, they are somehow the enemy. Yes, Amsdorf there are times when men and nations have to act to protect themselves and those who can't; we do have legitimate enemies. We live in free country though, and I have the right to disagree with you, and would defend your right to believe whatever you want to believe. Whether I'm right or not is usually not the issue. It is my willingness to allow you to believe what you want whether I like it or not.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:51 PM   #62
Amsdorf

Of course you have every right to disagree with me and on silly stuff such as this conversation, there is absolutely no "right" or "wrong" as one of our esteemed moderators rightly pointed out.

I do however reject the notion that there is never a time when we must assert that some are right and some are wrong.

This is not one of those times debating if it is "wrong" to do what you want to do with your spent brass.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:51 AM   #63
BlueTrain

Well, K-Mac, our behavior such as you describe started in 1776. If you didn't like the way the revolution was headed, you were in for a tough time. Lots of folks left. Same way at the time of the Civil War. When has it been different?

There have also been plenty of times when people did not necessarily feel the way they were supposed to be feeling, like during wartime. There was no general animosity against the Germans before WWII, as best as I can tell. Of course, Americans really aren't that great at hating other people. That is, people in other countries. We save our fear and hatred for our fellow citizens. We aren't pure enough in any sense of the word, nor are we exceptional. That's not to say we aren't different.

There is both a lot of group-think and wildly independent thinking here (including on this forum), although independent thinking carries considerable risk (including on this forum). It is a rich mixture. But one way to get a good crop is to use lots of manure.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:17 AM   #64
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
There's the problem, we run and hide and are afraid to let a kid hold a gun. Legal action? When my kids were young every one of their friends got to handle guns at my house. Some got to go shooting and hunting with us.
It might be time to grow a set and not go hide in the bedroom.
'You wanna hold this gun, we'll call you Father right now.'

as a gun owner I would be pretty angry if a neighbor allowed my child to handle a gun without my consent. it's about boundaries imo and they shouldn't be crossed
Agreed. In our neighborhood we're on "generation three" or the new wave of kids growing up. I would never let them touch a firearm, and would have gone off if a neighbor had done so for my kids. I'm not a spring chicken and never remember anyone who weren't active family friends that would have done such.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:40 AM   #65
zincwarrior

Quote:
Some of you guys are sounding like a defeatist attitude. The world is what you make it. So don't even try to teach the kids anything, or be neighborly because of what they might do? I think this is a poor show my friends. No wonder you feel sad about it, because you know you had a chance to do something real and dropped the ball by not even trying. No offense, but hey.

Most likely I would call the police on you.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:42 AM   #66
zincwarrior

Quote:
Don't anyone give a firearm of any kind, loaded or unloaded, to my kids without my express permission or there will be hell to pay

Agree 100%. My own dad started to hand my son a .22 to look at. I intercepted it and said "let's check it first". As my dad was starting to say "it's not load...", I ejected a live round.

My kids, my call. That's it.
Exactly.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:19 AM   #67
gaseousclay

Quote:
I did not condemn citizens, today, from those countries.
I wasn't saying you condemned citizens today. I was just pointing out that there are those that still cling to old prejudices in the gun community with regard to those countries. for example, there are some that refuse to buy a Miroku made firearm because they're made in Japan. I have nothing against this company and I think they make quality guns. If US made guns are your thing then great, but I don't think I should be criticized for owning a Miroku made Winchester 94.

Likewise, I could make the same argument about sunglasses (or any product for that matter). Luxoticca in Italy practically owns every major sunglasses brand in the world, from Oakley, Ray-Ban and Mosley Tribes to Maui Jim, Ralph Lauren, Coach and Brooks Brothers. A lot of these sunglasses are by American companies but they're owned and manufactured by an Italian company. Italy as you remember was a fascist country between the first and second world war. now, if I were to show economic patriotism I wouldn't buy any of these brands. But then again, most product on the shelves are made overseas, including the clothes we wear as well as consumer electronics. sorry for the tangent but you get the idea
Old October 10, 2012, 09:15 AM   #68
dieselbeef

dang..idk..id have just handed it to em and let em check it out. i dont think id have even give it a thought to be honest...but everyone we know is on a cattle ranch or shoots already so i guess its diff here.
id have handed it to em and let em play with it..
Old October 10, 2012, 09:44 AM   #69
BlueTrain

Clearly we did not all grow up in the same past and we do not all live in the same past either. No offence to anyone.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:01 AM   #70
45_auto

Sorry, I don't see the harm in letting a kid hold a piece of machined wood and metal. I would have showed them how to check that it was unloaded then let them hold it.

Any further proceedings or escalation from there would be up to their parents. Wouldn't be the first time I've been yelled at, cussed at, or shot at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior
If you were a nighbor of mine and let them play with a rifle without getting permission from me or the wife, the best option for you is that we would have words at about 90 decibels.

Most likely I would call the police on you.
What would you expect the police to do?

Their is no law against letting a child hold a knife, snake, gun, drill, circular saw, etc.

If I got the call I would be telling you to keep your kid in your own yard if you didn't like what he was doing over at the neighbor's.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #71
Skans

Amsdorf, you did the right thing. And, this is nothing to be sad about!

I was that little boy once upon a time. Came from a family that wasn't exactly anti-gun, but mom and dad never had any guns. Well, my neighbor was an avid hunter and when he was cleaning his guns, or shooting moccasins down by the lake I was curious and he would show me his rifles - might have even let me handle one once.

Now, I am a gun owner, shooter, occasional hunter - not necessarily because of my neighbor (I was always interested in guns); but I still fondly remember my neighbor, Mr. Downing, who would take time to let me look at his guns and even take time out to show me a few things about archery.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #72
zincwarrior

Quote:
What would you expect the police to do?

Their is no law against letting a child hold a knife, snake, gun, drill, circular saw, etc.
I would not make that assumption.

Are you their parents? NO
Are you a relative? NO
Are you now the potential target of an investigation into why you're letting children play with firearms? YES.

The call would be "man waiving a gun around children."
The call might be "dead man formerly with gun around children," depending on the circumstances.

It sounds extreme - you betcha. I'm their parent and you (the hypothetic example, not you the poster) are now a potential threat.

You're making this sound like its no problem but I can think of all kinds of shades of bad resulting from it. The OP did the exact correct thing, and should do nothing else except with the express approval of the parent.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:02 PM   #73
45_auto

Quote:
Ok, make up your mind what you're going to call in about. If you're not going to truthfully report that "my neighbor let my kid touch a gun in the neighbor's back yard" then you might as well make it interesting and claim he was also naked at the time (either your kid or the neighbor, whichever floats your boat). Then your neighbor can claim that the kid was trespassing and trying to steal the gun.

In that case there will be a half-assed investigation consisting of questioning everyone involved and trying to sort out all the lies and he-said she-saids. Between you claiming the neighbor was waving his gun around and the neighbor claiming that your kid either was trying to steal the gun or the kid ran to his house for protection because you were beating the kid, I'll probably end up issuing you both citations.

Quote:
The call might be "dead man formerly with gun around children," depending on the circumstances.
Depending on the circumstances, it could also well be "dead parent was threatening neighbor".

Your choice.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #74
SerenityNetworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker 1 View Post
These type of threads always have the "when I was a boy, we could...". Those days are gone and they're not coming back.
I'm not sure about that. History does have the tendency to repeat itself - even within a few generations.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old October 10, 2012, 02:59 PM   #75
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, make up your mind what you're going to call in about. If you're not going to truthfully report that "my neighbor let my kid touch a gun in the neighbor's back yard" then you might as well make it interesting and claim he was also naked at the time (either your kid or the neighbor, whichever floats your boat). Then your neighbor can claim that the kid was trespassing and trying to steal the gun.

In that case there will be a half-assed investigation consisting of questioning everyone involved and trying to sort out all the lies and he-said she-saids. Between you claiming the neighbor was waving his gun around and the neighbor claiming that your kid either was trying to steal the gun or the kid ran to his house for protection because you were beating the kid, I'll probably end up issuing you both citations.
Its an easy thing. Taken from a third party we have some guyw aving a rifle around and letting children play with it. You're going to get a hard look at, at least in my area. Especially when its the scared to death mom calling.

Quote:
Quote:

Depending on the circumstances, it could also well be "dead parent was threatening neighbor".

Your choice.
Unloaded rifle vs. parent saving his kid with armed one, nope, not really.

EDIT:Understand I'm not thinking like this is kindly Uncle Bob the Korean War vet showing the kids family heirlooms. I'm seeing a stranger waving a rifle around my kids (I assume young kids, vs. the teenage giants I have now).
Its all perspective.

Last edited by zincwarrior; October 10, 2012 at 03:50 PM.