The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1
harleyx2

Lee 45 die help

When I am using the powder through expanding die I have it adjusted just enough so my .452 berrys bullets will just sit inside the case mouth. After I run the case up in the die and go to retract it it almost hangs and is hard to pull the case back out of the die. What causes this? Thanks
Old August 4, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and to reloading. Thanks for asking our advice.

I have heard (apocryphally) that Lee makes the case-mouth expanding mandrel so that it WILL have that hitch. Supposedly to ensure all the powder in the powder measure falls into the case.

I have no explanation for why they made it so sharp a hitch that the powder gets shaken OUT of the case.

You can get some emery cloth and polish the mandrel a bit to relieve the hitch.

Short answer: Friction. When the case releases the mandrel it pops out. Solution: Reduce the friction. The pop will be reduced the same amount.

Good luck. Go slow. You can't put removed material back on and you can't make an out-of-round mandrel round again without making it smaller.

Lost Sheep
Old August 5, 2012, 11:04 AM   #3
5R milspec

yeah Lost Sheep hit the nail on the head.just poilish the expander..this will all so keep the expander from shaving brass away from the moth of the case.