The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
tahoe2

case fillers?

what should I use to fill the empty space in reduced load rifle cases ? (1/2 to 2/3 full). Is cotton ball material ok?
Old February 4, 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
hammered54

black powder guys use cornmeal......for smokeless?....why?
Old February 4, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
tahoe2

shooting reduced loads in an old mauser. the load only fills half the case, so when the cartridge is laying flat(in the chamber) powder isn't making contact
with the primer during ignition.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4
savagelover

if your talking a bottle neck case your asking for trouble using any filler..Don;t be worried about it the primer will still light it off....
Old February 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

While giving up a good bit of velocity Trail Boss gives exelent case fill for reduced loads. I know a couple of people that use it for .45/70 Govt. with good results, and it burns way cleaner than the other stuff does.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:49 AM   #6
GroovyMike

I have tried filler and tried leaving air space IMHO the best solution is to change powders to one that fills the case.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Adamantium

I've used both cream of wheat and grits with good results.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:34 PM   #8
jrinne0430

Quote:
I've used both cream of wheat and grits with good results
Same here when experimenting with some cast bullets. Worked well but did smell funny when fired. You can check out Cast Boolits site that goes into detail on the use of fillers.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Scharfschuetzer

Fillers

I generally use a dacron fiber filler (used for pillow stuffing) that the wife gets me at the sewing store. It keeps light charges down by the primer when loading cast bullets. For strictly range use, I don't bother as I can tip the barrrel up to settle the powder, but for field loads I like it.

On one of my assignments, I had access to an indoor range in the building that my office was in. For some reason I was experimenting with Cream of Wheat filler at the time. After a few hundred rounds over lunch hours in the indoor range, there was Cream of Wheat everywhere! Needless to say, that became the clean up project on a Friday afternoon.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; February 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:09 AM   #10
F. Guffey

“shooting reduced loads in an old mauser. the load only fills half the case, so when the cartridge is laying flat(in the chamber) powder isn't making contact
with the primer during ignition”

Tahoe2, you think the powder not contacting the primer is the problem? with reduced loads.

F. Guffey
Old February 8, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
William T. Watts

I wouldn't use a filler, the suggustion of change to a powder that fills the case would solve your problem. I have seen people point the muzzle up and let the powder settle in the case before firing, knowing what powder your using would be helpful also. William
Old February 8, 2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Adamantium

I shoot reduced loads of 2400 in 303 British and have no problem getting good ignition without a filler but get significantly better accuracy with a filler so not everyone uses filler for the same reason.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:07 PM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
I generally use a dacron fiber filler (used for pillow stuffing) that the wife gets me at the sewing store
There ya go
Old February 9, 2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Edward429451

I bought some cornmeal when I was picking up 45/70 reloading supplies when I first got my rifle because some gents had said on a board that I would be needing it.

Well the box is still unopened. How do I know if I need it (sic). My chrony should scream inconsistency with very light loads...it doesn't. I guess I'm lucky. If it aint broke don't fix it.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:52 AM   #15
10 Spot Terminator

A small piece of dryer lint lightly pushed down against the powder works very well in my reduced pistol loads. Should do fine in rifle rounds too. The stuff burns quikly with no residue. Makes you a recycler of what would be called a waste product too. Be environmentally concious and shoot more often to help rid the world of dryer lint,,,
Old February 11, 2012, 11:54 PM   #16
totaldla

Fillers are a bad idea - ringed barrels. The only time a filler is required is when loading 2gr of Bullseye. Otherwise the right way to do it is to use a pistol powder if you want a plinking load.

Some rifle powders, like H4895, can be reduces quite a ways safely - but it sure doesn't burn clean (you'll throw powder zombies everywhere).

Here is some info on plinking loads: Low Velocity Data
Old February 12, 2012, 12:23 AM   #17
hk33ka1

Many use Dacron or lint. It's not for all reduced loads, but generally some small charges of fast pistol powders in large rifle cases.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:40 AM   #18
tahoe2

quite a bit of controversy here?
Old February 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Cary

tahoe2
Any time the subject of using fillers comes up it is always controversial (on any forum). I've used a filler in some of my 45-70 loads for years now and will continue to do so. I use either cotton or a product called PSB (Powdered Shot Buffer). I like the performance of the PSB better but it is harder to load with. The 45-70 has only a slight tapper to it and is pretty much a straight wall case like a 357 mag just a lot bigger. I don't like the idea of using filler in a bottle neck case as you are trying to force the filler from a larger area in the case through a smaller area (the neck) before it enters the barrel. I also agree with the others that a powder change would probably work for your application. It is a free country so do what you want and be safe.
Cary
Old February 17, 2012, 05:39 PM   #20
hornetguy

I use a fairly light load of Unique in my 45-70 with no filler. It is amazingly consistent. Unique is also a fairly easy powder to ignite.

I don't like using cornmeal because if left to sit for a day or so, it can absorb any moisture from the atmosphere, powder, wherever it comes from, and it can partially solidify into a nice plug. This is generally not a good thing to be trying to shoot down your barrel. (bore obstruction?)

I've never tried the others, so I can't say. I have heard from NUMEROUS sources that the best is the dacron pillow stuff that has been mentioned. It is supposed to burn away cleanly, and is pretty consistent, if you cut it into even sized pieces.
Old February 17, 2012, 06:41 PM   #21
hounddawg

Quote:

Tahoe2, you think the powder not contacting the primer is the problem? with reduced loads.

F. Guffey
Secondary Explosion Effect or as this guy terms it detonation

http://lutz-moeller-jagd.de/English/Detonation.htm

The 25-06 is by reputation the worst for it
Old February 17, 2012, 07:02 PM   #22
black mamba

Trail Boss, IMR-4759 and Accurate 5744 are all designed for exactly your application: light cast bullet rifle loads. The first, Trail Boss, is so bulky that it nearly fills the case, but only weighs a third of a normal rifle powder. The other two are slower, but are designed to be "position insensitive," meaning it doesn't matter if they lay in the bottom of the case while on it's side, in the chamber.

I use 30 grains of 5744 to fireform Whelen AI cases from standard 35 Whelens, under a 250 gr. gaschecked lead round nose bullet. Velocity is around 1900 fps, but the pressure is between 45 and 50 thousand cup. They have very little recoil and blast, yet would be an excellent short range deer or black bear load, besides fireforming my brass.