The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
darkgael

Dillon 550B - how to change from LR to LP primers?

I have a Dillon 550B. I have always used it for loading .30-06 and .308 Win.
I want to start using it to load .45ACP.
Right now the primer magazine is full of LR primers. How do I empty those so that I can fill it with LP primers?
I don't see an explanation in the manual (unless I missed it).
Pete
Old November 14, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
hodaka

One at a time is how I do it. Just cycle the handle then pick them up off of the plate. I hope someone has a better idea.
Old November 14, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
alfack

Unscrew the gnurled aluminum cap, pull out the inner tube and dump them out.
Old November 14, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
tom234

Unless you remove them one at a time you basically have to disassemble the primer magazine like changing to a different size. It pays to plan ahead and not load up with primers unless you intend to use them all.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:02 PM   #5
oneounceload

deprime and reprime some of your rifle brass - just don't bother to do anything else and run it till you run out. The rifle brass will be ready for the next time and it's less hassle
Old November 14, 2009, 08:23 PM   #6
darkgael

dump

Quote:
Unscrew the gnurled aluminum cap, pull out the inner tube and dump them out.
If I do that, what will prevent them from spilling out of the tube while I lift it from the magazine?
Pete
Old November 14, 2009, 09:00 PM   #7
dmazur

To solve the problem of LR / LP swaps, I just decide to reload 40, or 80, or some multiple of a 20 rd plastic box capacity and then I load the primer tube with that many LR primers. Since the pistol ammo fits in 50 rd boxes, I have to decide on 50 or 100 LP primers.

It's a bit of a pain, as the press isn't "ready to go" but has to be set up with primers before I can start reloading cases.

It does solve the problem of "disposing" of some random number of primers, by not leaving any in the press...
Old November 14, 2009, 09:02 PM   #8
nad1967

duh.... buy another one
Old November 14, 2009, 09:15 PM   #9
alfack

Quote:
If I do that, what will prevent them from spilling out of the tube while I lift it from the magazine?
Pete
Good point. I knew there had to be a trick to this question I assumed the plastic piece on the end of the tube would provide a little tension, like on the pick-up tubes. If you don't want to cycle them out, I think you have to take the whole tube assembly off (2 allen screws under the primer bar) and then dump them out.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:35 AM   #10
PCJim

If you don't want to prime some brass for the future, there are only two methods available to you. Remove them one at a time if there are only a few remaining (as Tom234 already stated) or disassemble the primer assembly and dump them back out the top (as Alfack stated).

Unfortunately, there are no other alternatives unless Dillon has some secret method they haven't made public yet.
Old November 15, 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
darkgael

thanks

Buy another one? Don't think that didn't cross my mind. But....no...I have eleven presses now....no room in the inn.

Quote:
If you don't want to prime some brass for the future, there are only two methods available to you. Remove them one at a time if there are only a few remaining (as Tom234 already stated) or disassemble the primer assembly and dump them back out the top (as Alfack stated).

Unfortunately, there are no other alternatives unless Dillon has some secret method they haven't made public yet.
Yeah. I was hoping that there was a simple method that I had missed reading about. The "prime for the future" solution is what I'll end up doing.
Thanks for the replies.
Pete